Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got Wood?

Here's an example why wood should be used with extreme caution. If you are going to have people running on it, ya better make sure it has something on it to maintain traction!

Keith was okay and we were all glad he didn't have a gun in his hand. Water+Mud+Wood=Disaster. Lucky the gun stayed on the table and pointed downrange, that would have been a shitty way to end a match.

http://sharing.thefl.../video/23588881

Edited by JThompson

they hada bridge goin over a lil creek atthis place in oregon, and those of us who have shot there enuff know that oregon is basically wet well over halfthe time and where this brige sat, was inthe shade of trees and such so it never really 'dried' out, i heard of a shooter that went ass over elbows offthe bridge intothe creek, shortly there after some anti skid stuff was put down on the bridge

I'm with ya JT, ive seen one too many people take headers on wet wooden objects/obsticles, simple wooden pallets as platforms become nightmares in the rain...

We had a wood platform at A5... I had seen this before and didn't want to see it again. What I did was get some roll roofing... not the smooth kind, but the stuff that is like a roll of shingles. You just staple that stuff down and you are good to go. ;)

Don't let this happen to another shooter when it is easily prevented. This is not a slam on the match that did this as they have some asinine rules set down about stapling nailing anything to the wood. If you have such rules, I would urge you to make sure the shooter doesn't have to traverse it. Even if the weather looks good on setup day or the first day of a match... don't risk it.

I put this video up for a teaching tool and not to slight anyone...

I'm thinking of throwing a pair of these in my car for such occasions...

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TOUGH-GUY-Spiked-Shoes-3YPC1?cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Safety-_-Foot%20Protection-_-3YPC1

JT

Edited by JThompson

We had a wood platform at A5... I had seen this before and didn't want to see it again. What I did was get some roll roofing... not the smooth kind, but the stuff that is like a roll of shingles. You just staple that stuff down and you are good to go. ;)

Don't let this happen to another shooter when it is easily prevented. This is not a slam on the match that did this as they have some asinine rules set down about stapling nailing anything to the wood. If you have such rules, I would urge you to make sure the shooter doesn't have to traverse it. Even if the weather looks good on setup day or the first day of a match... don't risk it.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TOUGH-GUY-Spiked-Shoes-3YPC1?cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Safety-_-Foot%20Protection-_-3YPC1

JT

I have some of those for when I needed to get up on roofs here in the north west. I always wanted to get some golf shoes instead.

JT

Those look like the Hobnails that Roman Legionnaires used to wear on their sandals :)

http://www.vroma.org/~araia/clavus.html

Ow that slipping was scary, but he did recover well. Certainly the mark of a very good shooter.

I like the solution of using rolled roofing to gain more traction.

For a permeant solution, how about spray on bed liner?

A portable spray on liner system can be brought to your location.

I suppose you could even throw some sand on the surface during the final texturing phase.

Ow that slipping was scary, but he did recover well. Certainly the mark of a very good shooter.

I like the solution of using rolled roofing to gain more traction.

For a permeant solution, how about spray on bed liner?

A portable spray on liner system can be brought to your location.

I suppose you could even throw some sand on the surface during the final texturing phase.

Roofing roll, a torch, and some sand would make that semi- permanently rough. When it gets smooth, bring out the torch, and more sand. The torch is fun too!

• 2 weeks later...

My first thought was "what do you expect wearing cleats". Not much traction on smooth surfaces when wearing cleats.

That said, putting some traction mats in place when the wood is wet is probably a good idea.

My first thought was "what do you expect wearing cleats". Not much traction on smooth surfaces when wearing cleats.

That said, putting some traction mats in place when the wood is wet is probably a good idea.

Doesn't matter what you wear, it's slick as ice...

JT

So cater to those trying for a tactical advantage? How about adapting to the conditions instead?

No. Just don't do it... unless you can rectify the traction issues it's not worth the risk. Someone WILL go down; It's not if, but when, and that is to big of risk to take when it's easily prevented. I know people fall from things beyond our control. This however, is within the realm of the MDs control and should be eliminated at all costs. As an MD, I would pull the stage or change it before I let it go. A couple years ago I was the QM for a match that had this issue. I wanted to do something to change it, but was prevented from doing so. Ray Hirst took the worst fall I have ever seen at that match. He/We was/were damn lucky he wasn't paralyzed. I swore then I would never allow that to happen again on my watch.

Please, if you have wood at a match make sure that you have some kind of traction device on it in case of rain!

JT

Edited by JThompson

The bridge at A8 was coated with a roll on traction paint. Fortunately we didn't see any rain, so the value of the paint wasn't tested to its potential, but even in sandy/dusty conditions the bridge was more slippery than I would have preferred. Unfortunately, wood is such an inexpensive, malleable material that it makes it ideal for us to use for props... Next year I'll be playing with some extruded grating material that I have. I'm thinking of creating 'traction mats' for steps, and platforms that would be reusable.

Ironically, the only time I've seen shooters go down in person has been on wet grass in running/ hiking style shoes. Apparently they didn't adapt to the conditions :rolleyes:

The whole place was full of wood platforms. Sometimes you shoot from Cowboy town like the example...

The guy I was shooting with took one look at the stages & ditched his cleats for this very reason.

Good ideas for ranges that can make those changes.

I don't see how the Cowboy shooters don't slip on wet wood platforms with cowboy boots (even just walking on them.)

Edited by furyalecto

To sidetrack the thread slightly , if the gun in the video would have fallen from the table, would it have been a DQ since it was not loaded? The table appears to be not nailed down. Whats the call REF , dropped unloaded , dropped loaded?

A few years back at an IDPA match they had your starting position on a 4' X 4' piece of treated plywood.

I took my shots but when I launched off the slippery wood my knee hyper extended to the rear.

It tore my minuscus which ended up requiring a scope job followed by a knee replacement 2 years later.

Steer clear of the treated wood ... just a little water makes it slippery and dangerous.

If the gun drops to the ground he is DQ'ed.

COF begins with "Make Ready" command

10.5.3 If at any time during the course of fire, or while loading, reloading or

unloading, a competitor drops his handgun or causes it to fall, loaded

or not. Note that a competitor who, for any reason during a course of

fire, safely and intentionally places the handgun on the ground or other

stable object will not be disqualified provided:

8.3.1 “Make Ready” – This command signifies the start of “the Course of

Fire”. Under the direct supervision of the Range Officer the competitor

must face down range, or in a safe direction as specified by the Range

Officer, fit eye and ear protection, and prepare the handgun in accordance

with the written stage briefing. The competitor must then assume

the required start position. At this point, the Range Officer will proceed.

The whole place was full of wood platforms. Sometimes you shoot from Cowboy town like the example...

The guy I was shooting with took one look at the stages & ditched his cleats for this very reason.

I don't see how the Cowboy shooters don't slip on wet wood platforms with cowboy boots (even just walking on them.)

Those guys don't shoot in the rain....

JT

A few years back at an IDPA match they had your starting position on a 4' X 4' piece of treated plywood.

I took my shots but when I launched off the slippery wood my knee hyper extended to the rear.

It tore my minuscus which ended up requiring a scope job followed by a knee replacement 2 years later.

Steer clear of the treated wood ... just a little water makes it slippery and dangerous.

It's one of those things which could be fixed and save a guy a lot of grief. We are at a disadvantage because we have to think of the firearm first; So what happens is you sacrifice the body to keep the gun in a safe direction. It's amazing really - to watch a guy go down and fight the urge to throw a hand out. It's very unnatural not to try and break your fall. I don't think anyone knows how they will react until it happens, but I've watched guys take some nasty hits. All they would have had to do it drop the gun or sweep someone and the wouldn't have taken the hit. It's amazing when you think about it.... you are fighting instinct and doing it in a split second. I saw Ray fall and his feet were over his head and he didn't sweep himself or drop the gun. He crawls up out of the mud and drags his ass down to the last array... I don't remember if the RO stopped him or he stopped himself, what I do remember is him reaching up for his ears and they had fallen off.... He said, "Oh thank God!" We all laughed, but it was gallows for sure. There was about a six inch drop coming off the wood and he landed back first legs up in the air, right across the shoulder blades. Another six inches and it would have been his neck. It still freaks me out how close it was....

JT

Edited by JThompson

Those guys don't shoot in the rain....

JT

I always thought Cowboy Shooters didn't shoot in the rain so they don't mess up their costumes! B)