Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best magwell for small hands?

Aircooled6racer

Hello: I am looking for a magwell for my Glock 34 for my 12 year old son. I think I want to start him shooting Limited minor and think the magwell will help him with reloads and also his grip. He is shooting steel matches right now with a 22. Let me know. Thanks, Eric

I have had the best luck with Dawson magwells. The bottom of my hand rests naturally against the magwell and helps to provide a solid grip. It has a large opening and an Ice insert for fast reloads, but there is no substitute for practice.

Hello: I think it will help him find his grip on the pistol easier when it is in the holster. I think it will make him use the same grip every time. I also think it will help him with a reload as well. Just my thoughts and it may be wrong :blush: Thanks, Eric

Hello: Has anyone tried the new redesigned Dawson magwell? I was wondering if they can be used with Arredondo +5 base pads without modifing them? Thanks, Eric

I got one in my Glock 24, it works fine with Arredondo basepads without any modifications.

take a look at sjc they have 2 different one's. only difference is the weight. thats what i run and my kid shoots mine some and she's a small girl but its just playing on the range seens to work good for her

+1 on the SJC magwell. I have the heavy magwell on my G35 and the aluminum one on my two G17 open guns. The shape absolutely fits my small hands (pushes them up into the correct higher position) and the garbage can size of the mag well opening sure helps with those on the run mag changes where you can be slightly off, but as was stated, practice helps the most with that! I have Arredondo, Dawson, and Taylor Freelance mag pads and the SJC works with all. I haven't had to do any trimming.

• 2 weeks later...

i think there's two good choices. you can get the dawson magwell or the sjc magwell. to me the dawson is fairly small compared to the sjc. get a dawson for now and later get a sjc when his hands get bigger.

lilB

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the JP Enterprizes magwell. I have it on my G17 open and I really like the way it helps postion my hand.

My .02 cents

• 1 month later...

Hello: Update, I received the Dawson magwell today from Shooters Connection and fitted it to the Glock 34. It fits the IDPA box. The Arredondo +5 base pads fit just fine for USPSA Limited minor. I can also get my hand on the grip with no problems. My hands are kinda on the large size so I was surprised. The next thing may be a extended mag release for his small hands. Thanks, Eric