Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 9mm sizing die

I broke my 9mm sizing die. A small ring came out of the bottom and attached itself to a casing. I don't lube ..... should I lube or is a broken sizing die just a fluke? Dillon is sending me a new die ..... great company!

I cracked one and they sent me a new one as well. It happens I guess. Also, run a hundred or so with some lube and tell me it doesn't feel better on the arm and press. I grabbed a few unlubed cases tonight to finish off my primers in the tube and they were easily twice as hard to run through the press.

But as always, YMMV.

I broke my 9mm sizing die. A small ring came out of the bottom and attached itself to a casing. I don't lube ..... should I lube or is a broken sizing die just a fluke? Dillon is sending me a new die ..... great company!

you should lub the cases ,it make the whole press action like silk and on top of that it help the dies lifespan.

personaly i use one shot, altough many options available.

you should lub the cases ,it make the whole press action like silk and on top of that it help the dies lifespan.

+10 not only is it easier on your brass it saves a lot of wear n tear on the press.

Carbide is no repacement for lube.

+10 not only is it easier on your brass it saves a lot of wear n tear on the press.

go to the health food of vitamin store and but 5oz bottle of liquid lanolin. Mix with a half gallon of isotropic alcohol from the drug store and you have a lifetime supply of case lube for around $10.00.

Dillon will definitely replace the die. I popped the carbide ring out of my SDB 9mm sizer die and they sent one out the next day. That die had about 12000 rounds through it.

Since then I use one of those silicone rags and shake the brass around it in a plastic tub. Just a real light coat. Makes a huge difference.

My die popped at the worst time, go figure. Needed ammo for a match so I cleaned it up and used some of the Locktite glue that comes with the UniqueTec micrometer... Let it set over night and loaded 500 rounds the next morning. That must be some serious adult glue.

Since then I use one of those silicone rags and shake the brass around it in a plastic tub. Just a real light coat. Makes a huge difference.

That's an awesome idea. I've been trying to figure out how to put a bit of lubricant on pistol brass without making a mess. Especially bigger stuff like 45LC or my 454 Cassull.

• 4 years later...

Glad I did a quick search here. I had the carbide ring come out of my Dillon 9 sizer die also. I cleaned it up and seated it back with red stud locker locktite, but if they will replace , I am definitely calling for replacement.

go to the health food of vitamin store and but 5oz bottle of liquid lanolin. Mix with a half gallon of isotropic alcohol from the drug store and you have a lifetime supply of case lube for around $10.00.

Great for rifle, not so great for pistol. Note that you will need to tumble the lube off prior to loading as it will contaminate powder and primers.

Supposedly OneShot will not contaminate powder or primers.

Great for rifle, not so great for pistol. Note that you will need to tumble the lube off prior to loading as it will contaminate powder and primers.

Supposedly OneShot will not contaminate powder or primers.

I don't believe the lanolin/alcohol mixture contaminates powder or primers and you can use the lanolin/alcohol mixture for rifle or pistol.

Every time I fill the primer tube up, I take a qtip that has some Imperial sizing wax on and do a quick swab around the mouth of the sizing die.

The last time I got done loading, I thought about trying some Motor Mica. The next time, I'll give that a try.

• 3 weeks later...