Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miner Rescue

outerlimits

Two are out :cheers:

Having worked in mines, I would have gone insane being stuck in one for that amount of time.

every now and then...miracles do happen :bow:

Jim

The first estimate was that they would not have them out before Christmas. Amazing effort.

The drilling of the recovery shaft and the entire rescue operation is an amazing engineering feat. The rescue teams have worked around the clock for well over a month to get to this point. My hat is off to everyone involved. :bow:

At the time of this writing, nearly all the miners are above ground. Interestingly, these guys drew up legal documents while underground indicating that any benefits offered to any one of them was to be shared equally amongst ALL of them. These guys were in solidarity about nearly everything from the very beginning, and this legal thing shows that they had their thinking caps on.

Once things got going they increased the speed at which the rescue capsule ascended and descended and were delivering individuals in less than a half-hour each.

If my memory serves me well, there is at least ONE miner who said he's pretty much through with mining. Doesn't want to go down there again. Can't blame him.

Truly, this whole operation was a stunning feat, successful and organized. On a psychological level, it was all very touching and gratifying. The best of human nature in action.

One was diabetic, one had pneumonia, two needed dental work. There was also some comment about eye problems but no details on that. All had lost weight so they could assure a comfortable fit into the carrier capsule.

On the whole, though, I was surprised how well they looked and acted upon retrieval. Very spirited. Note, too, that they'd all shaved and tidied themselves up for their return.

They were also wearing some kind of theme t-shirts that must've been printed on their behalf because they were all wearing them over their green jumpsuits...

Oakley donated the high-end sunglasses ($180.00 each).

Just saw on Fox News the 27th miner reach the surface and noticed that he was wearing Oakley glasses... That's a good promotion of Oakley glasses.

Oakely donated special high dollar glasses to the miners. They had not been exposed to any outside light for the duration of their entrapment.

It was interesting to listen to the President of Chile explain that his government wasted no time in setting up the rescue using any and all professional help from any other country that could offer specialized personal and equipment. Too bad we didn't do the same in the gulf.

Pat

There were about 2,000 people at the rescue site, including the President, his wife, and dozens of officials and technicians. The families camped out there from start to finish. The media, of course, was there... and one reporter said it was the equivalent of Woodstock for journalists. Coverage was excellent and I imagine CNN's ratings were high during this unusual event.

I happened to be home most of the day and got hooked by the coverage... and watched pretty much the whole thing. As Brian said, it was moving. In terms of mankind's ability to solve problems, remember what we did for Apollo 13. Now, THOSE guys were REALLY far from home!