Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Explain Why You like shooting Revolvers Or

IPSC_PRO

I like shooting Revo first of all because of the revo shooters themselves. We are out there to compete and win but we are not going for the Caddillac so we have fun with each other. No matter how bad you do we will still kick you when you are down, in a fun sorta way. There is more to do with Revo. It is not hit the sweet spot hit all your targets and then get to the spot. We look for places to hit targets from different positions and hit the targets. If we find an edge or angle we share with the other revos shooters and warn them when we see them forgetting a target on their walk through. And I just love when a R.O. asks "How do you remember all that stuff" When I shoot targets from different positions than the rest of the shooters. :sight: later rdd

Toolguy I still need tto take a few classes to get my Gunocologist degree. :roflol:

All of the above, plus it is just more fun.

Bottem-feeders just don't get it.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always reload on the move, never reload and then move. It's much faster, but watch the 180! Avoid standing reloads. Revo is won and lost on reloads.

I "look" the reloads in by aligning the holes with my eye, if I don't have much or any movement. I'll do it blind if I have to watch where I'm going. The goal is to break the first shot as soon as you plant your feet.

Some guys can use speedloaders as fast as moonclips, but I'm not one of those guys.

Then again, I'm not setting the world on fire, so ymmv. Make up dummies and practice, practice!

I made 12 dummie rounds. Loaded up two metal moonclips and started practicing on my Wessinger 625. It was fun, fun, fun. I'm learning the beast way to hold the loaded clip. The best way to incert the rounds into the cylinder. I'm using the strong had loading method only because that's the method I use when loading my 686 with hks speedloaders. I think that's not the only reason. I think loading with the strong hand is more fun. It's a stronger reloading method. I'm holding the cylinder in place with my strong hand which for me makes for a more positive,firm reload. I loaded the first moon clip the wrong way and struggled incerting each round into each "notch". I haven't tried the rimz polymer clips yet. My son did a couple of reloads too. The Wessinger is going to be his gun if we compete together. I am assuming I will be using the Fletcher 625. We shall see.

Part of what I said is not true. I hold the cylinder with my left hand and load the rounds in with my right hand. Too lazy to edit.

I bought my first revolver off of this forums classified last fall. I bought it because I was looking for something completely different from the open gun I've shot since I started shooting USPSA. I like the fact thats its a simpler machine than my open gun and it makes me work on the basics of shooting. Trying to remember all those reloads has been a problem when your used to 29 in the gun but when it all works out I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Shooting revo has just been plain FUN and I've found that revo shooters are really helpful.

When shooting a Revo I never feel like I'm waiting to shoot another target. There's always something you need to do before the next one.

With Semi's it seems to be so much run'n'gun. It's fun, but becomes monotonus.

The strategy of competing with a Revo is deeper.

I like the competitors who commit to anything and most Revo guys are committed, or need to be!

I like competing with anything, semi's or rollers, but there's more satisfaction in doing well with a Revo, roller.

When it comes to completing a course and/or working a course with a squad, I'll take a Revo squad any day. It's not the firearm type it's the competitor who eats up time. And you rarely see a Revo trudge off and take 20 minutes to clean his hi-cap mags (a justifable but irksome thing).

quote: The strategy of competing with a Revo is deeper. I can't speak from first hand experience yet, at least not for uspsa competition. But yea with a limit 6 shots. Each round carries more weight than in semi. The reload would take more time for me but would be fun and interesting. Also the double action trigger pull take more skill. I can remember being upset at a semi I bought having a little creep in the trigger before the shot. Now I relish the double action trigger pull. I would not buy a semi if it had a 9 pound trigger pull. Now I don't want it lower thatn 9 pounds. A smooth 9 pound trigger pull feels sweet to me now. 13 and up would be a little harsh though. You know those watches that have a clear see through housing? Well a revolver is like that. Being able to see most of the moving parts makes it that much more interesting.

Edited by IPSC_PRO

I like the fact that I am a lot more engaged mentally during a stage than I was with a bottom feeder. That probably goes back to the strategy comments already made. Before I started revolver I couldn't remember a plan half the time. Now that I have to plan a lot better I often remember how I shot stages for weeks after the match. I suspect that hanging out with other revo shooters has just made me smarter.

It's sort of intangible really, all the reasons posted are valid. But there's 2 major reasons that brought me to revolver shooting, and they're the same reasons why I stay. I shoot a revolver more accurately than an auto, and revolver shooters are hands down the friendliest, most helpful, and most fun people around. I've never met a revolver shooter who was rude, unfriendly, or humorless. Ever. I definitely can't say the same about Open shooters.

Edited by Revopop

It's sort of intangible really, all the reasons posted are valid. But there's 2 major reasons that brought me to revolver shooting, and they're the same reasons why I stay. I shoot a revolver more accurately than an auto, and revolver shooters are hands down the friendliest, most helpful, and most fun people around. I've never met a revolver shooter who was rude, unfriendly, or humorless. Ever. I definitely can't say the same about Open shooters.

Maybe when I start competing in revolver in our club, a subrevo goup will evolve. OUr top shooter seems to be top in everything, even revolver but I think he rarely shoots revolver these days. I'll try to talk him into it so I can have some good revolver vids to submit to my youtube channel, which is Jasper50 by the way. I think there are a couple of other guys shooting revolver at times. OUr state uspsa match is in March of 2011. I got to get healed up! Dang.

Revolvers are the sort of machine that wears a lot of its guts on the outside. You can see the cylinder going around, you can see the sweep of the trigger powering all that whirly stuff, you can see the hammer cycling, and during the reload, you can see all kinds of important mechanical gadgets and even, all of the chambers.

Not so much with autos. Get up with the modern ones with strikers and you can't even pick up that little bit of hammer moving action. Everything seems to be going on inside, where it's an unseen mystery.

The best analogy I've ever come up with is locomotives. A half-dozen brilliantly efficient EMDs can gurgle by, producing horsepower by the many thousands with calm, even effortless, slickness. They work so well we almost cease to marvel at 10,000-plus tons of freight under the sweatless control of a single operator.

But let a steam locomotive clank by and crowds gather by the zillions, snapping photos and inhaling coal smoke (and getting pelted with cinders), breathless and completely in thrall by all of the motion.

The steam locomotive wears its guts on the outside, just like revolvers. The wheels are seven or more feet tall and turn like vertical merry-go-rounds. The main rods are almost the size of a man's trunk and fly, absolutely fly, back and forth with impossible speed, seemingly ready to launch off into the sky... but they don't.

There's fire and smoke and steam everywhere, pouring out of stacks and pop valves and slide valves and who knows how many leaks.

That's the enchantment- mechanical activity.

So it goes for revolvers. You can see stuff happening.

Now, for the disclaimer- revos actually have all kinds of teeny, flimsy little guts things under the plate that aren't too keen about either daylight or dirt. They're touchy in the real world and need more fussing and cleaning.

And, heaven knows, reloading. Revolvers never stop demanding to be refilled.

In fact, I tell newcomers on the USPSA range that revolvers are easy to spot: they're the ones that are almost always empty.

Hey CherryRiver. Wow that was a great post. How often do I need to clean out the guts out under the plate. Being new to revolver. I'm going to do a lot of research before I open that up. I was thinking that when I do open it up, I'm just going to spray the crap out of it with some wd 40. Would that be enough?

Wanna see my switch key?

The irony here is that my several decades of volunteer work in the "rail heritage movement" were spent working on an electric line; electrics, being the precursor to the diesel-electric, arguably being the real beginning of the end for steam traction.

Be that as it may, yours truly goes agape at the sight, sound, and smell of the giant teapots as thoroughly as anyone.

Oh, and wheelguns as well. See you all at the Wheelgunner's Revenge next July in Michigan!

(Felt I had to get that revo reference in somehow.)

Explain Why You like shooting Revolvers

Because it feels so good when I stop :excl:

The steam loco analogy is so good.

They died out because they had to reload with tons of water every hundred miles or so, and required copious maintenance.

The first gun I bought was a revolver, and when I found USPSA matches about a year later, it was love at first sight [or was that front sight?]. Anyway, "shoot what you got" was that revolver.

Also, being slower running than the average bear, I had lots of time to reload while getting between shooting locations. [For the engineers out there, running speed and weight are inversely related]. Doing it with a pistol would just be frustrating as heck! My way, by the time the revolver is reloaded, I'm usually just getting to the next location to shoot some more targets.

I am finding that there are a LOT of little pieces behind that revolver side plate. So if you intend to open up your revolver, plan on a big working area with a white sheet, to keep track of all the screws and springs and little doodads that pop up and out at the least provocation once you get inside.

• 3 weeks later...

I shot my S&W, target model of 1905, that was made in 1920 one handed at a 50 foot bullseye target and had a 2 inch group. Try this with a 90 year old pistol and let me know how you do.

Revolvers are beautiful and the older the better. My favorite are the Smith/Wesson Target Master Piece series: K22, K32 and K38. These old beauties will keep me happy the rest of my shooting days.

That said I shoot my ppc M10 and 686 more than the others.

For bullsey competition I do shoot a bottom feeder or two, but may be changing to wheelguns.

Fred

The first time you see/saw an open or limited shooter fidgeting with their all of a sudden not so functional raygun....that's why I shoot a revolver. Reliability. Maybe it's slower past 12 and maybe it's old technology, but I pull the trigger a second time and my malfunction is cleared!

My first type of shooting was PPC back in the old days when all they used were revolvers. In my old age I have got lazy and don't like to bend over and pick up brass. I have never seen a revolver shooter reload a empty full moon clip as I have seen bottom feeders do on occasions.

It rewards an obsessive nature. You can dominate a revolver and reap benefits from doing so, and you can practice ten different things, all of which have value. With a semi I always feel like I have a bouncy buggy whip in my hands and I'm trying to hold it gently enough to trip the trigger without disturbing the whippy sight. With a revo I can pour as much strength as I can muster into it and it appreciates me doing so, it calms down and returns the more I hang on to it.

That and I'm just a hand/eye coordination kind of guy rather than a runner, so the general theory of revolver suits me better.

H.

Edited by Houngan

It rewards an obsessive nature. You can dominate a revolver and reap benefits from doing so, and you can practice ten different things, all of which have value. With a semi I always feel like I have a bouncy buggy whip in my hands and I'm trying to hold it gently enough to trip the trigger without disturbing the whippy sight. With a revo I can pour as much strength as I can muster into it and it appreciates me doing so, it calms down and returns the more I hang on to it.

That and I'm just a hand/eye coordination kind of guy rather than a runner, so the general theory of revolver suits me better.

H.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Finesse and foot speed are not my strong suits.

• 4 months later...

I like revos because my brass in practice sessions never hits the ground. And even when it does hit the ground (like in a match) the rounds are attached in a moon clip. I only get my brass back. With autos I always have to bend over, crawl around on the ground and pick up the brass that's scattered all over kingdom come. You always seem to get auto brass that's filled up with mud or has a rock in the case or is fat from being fired in something like a glock chamber or you pick up a berdan primed case, etc., etc. I don't have to sort through brass when I'm done shooting my revolvers. And the brass doesn't need tumbled. All I need is a little dillon case lube and I put them back together. I don't have to wrestle with pushing rounds against a stiff magazine spring. And when I go to a match all of my rounds are already loaded into moon clips. I can concentrate better because I don't have to reload magazines after each stage. You don't lose your brass at matches like an auto does. You can go from light plinking loads to heavy magnum loads without playing with springs.