Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving and shooting while moving

TRUbor9

Ok so What i want to know is how do you guys preffer to shoot? while moving or move then shoot?

explain your method.

I shoot on the move but I know I'm slow when I move then it's a habit I'm having a hard time breaking and its costing me match/stage wins. I know if i can speed this up I'll have no problem keeping up with the top in c class.

Any and All ideas please.

-JS

set your self a shooting box on the far left,with a single tgt dwn range.

in the center position put a long rectangler box, with 3 tgts dwn range.

far right another box, with a single tgt dwn range

The 2 end tgts I set real close, so it wont mess with the time to much.

start on either end, 1st run shoot the three tgts on the move, note the time. 2nd run move into the the long box shoot stationary the 3 tgts, note time.

now vary the diffuctly and or distance of the three center tgts now do over.

remember to keep your 2 end tgts close and easy,

now your learning when to move and shoot and when to stand and deliver.

also I would score these tgts to keep yourself honest. find your best HF.

The first thing you have to do is determine the maximum distance you're capable of shooting all Alphas while moving. That will tell you whether it's even reasonable to consider shooting on the move. In talking with a well-known GM about this very topic earlier this year, he had it narrowed down and said 13yds was his limit; any longer than that and he set up and shot stationary.

As far as technique, the absolute most important thing to do is to get LOW and stay low! Get as low as you think is right, then go a little lower. Set up a shooting area that's maybe 7yds wide and 1yd deep. Put three targets 1yd apart, at something like 8-10yds. Start at one end of the shooting area, with the gun out and on target, then practice taking two shots on each target, while trying to make it as far across the box as possible while shooting all alphas. Alternate sides so you're moving in both directions. It's likely that in the beginning you'll only make it a few feet before you've taken all six shots. After a while, you'll stretch that out, and you'll find the sweet spot where you're low enough, but can still move freely, and the gun will still be stable...just takes a little practice.

As far as when you should and shouldn't shoot on the move, it just depends. If the shots are going to be hard, you may just be faster setting up and shooting them static, then moving fast once you're done. If the shots are easy, and you can just shred them as you cruise by....it's probably faster to do that. If it's a mix, it can be a tough call. Set up some drills and try both....a few targets you can shoot from two static positions, or while you move from A to B, and see what the timer shows you. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I am new to this game, but for myself, I have a limit of 5-7 yards while moving. I think I can get Alphas at ten yards while moving, but for allowances for nervousness and adrenaline, if I am over 5-7 yards, I briefly stop. If I shoot a Charlie or Delta because I am trying to gain an extra half second, the loss in accuracy isn't worth the time gain. Also, if the shot has any difficulty, I hesitate and take my shot stationary. Hope this helps.

David S.

• 1 month later...

Bend your knees as they are your shock absorbers. Roll your feet, might be tough at first. Practice walking around holding a bottle half full of water, this will help you get smoother. Think "quick and light", and you will be tearing through stages in no time!

Ok since we are talking C class something I can do here it is in a nut shell. Graucho yes get your Graucho Marks walk on, that low knees bent. Shoot only when one foot is in the air, do not shoot when both feet are on the ground. The rest is pretty simple. Follow the golden rule of shooting "See what you need to See and Break the shot", this also applies when moving. No Shoots and Armor coat turn an easy shot into a difficult shot, so respect the difficulty of the shot. B)

Edited by CocoBolo

• 3 weeks later...

do you fire with a foot in the air only, or both on the ground only, or does it make any difference? I've only done the Mex Defense course on the move, and it's very slow. I've done fast assault courses, but unless it was like 10 ft, I always stopped for the shots, or got too many non-A.s A few complete misses, too, under big time match stress! :-)

Shooting on the move is a critical skill to master, start close and work out. It's hard to pick a distance that you can reliably shoot A's, say 15yds, and say that now you have mastered it. But you definitely want to see improvement, keep pushing the distance, start at 7 yards then keep working back a couple of yards at a time. Make sure that you work on all directions too. Charging, retreating, lateral and diagonal, you want to be prepared for any potential match situation.

• 1 month later...

I watch one of the best!

Think of yourself like a tank, your feet/tracks go in one direction, your upper torso can move left and right, but also at the same time you need to be able to control your foot speed, or you could be moving too slow, when you should be moving faster. knowing how fast move your feet through an array is the biggest point getter, and is key! Also get your upper torso low, so you are more compact and on top of the gun.

Watch Chris Tilley on this stage.

Check this out:

Depending on the stage design and whether it lends itself to shooting on the move and how far away those targets are, this may or may not help. I tend to get there faster and shoot faster since faster + faster = fast :P

I think its important to define what shooting on the move really is. I define it as shooting while taking multiple steps and engaging targets at the same time.

Determining if shooting on the move is viable or not for a stage can be difficult. When I look at a stage I use a few validating questions to justify shooting on the move or not.

1) Will shooting this section on the move enable me to immediately engage targets in the next shooting position without delay?

2) While shooting this section on the move can I maintain a high movement speed while engaging targets?

3) While shooting this section on the move can I engage the targets at a shooting speed that is close to the same speed as engaging them from a stationary position?

If the answer is “NO” to any of these questions I will choose to shoot the section stationary verses on the move. Trying to force shooting on the move when its not appropriate usually only makes the actual shooting process way harder or way slower than it should be. You also artificially induce a significant reduction in accuracy due to all of the movement variables added to your shooting platform.

From what I have seen most A & B class shooters try to “Force” shooting on the move when its not appropriate and all it does is make the shooting process way harder and way less consistent than it has to be.

On a bank of 9 lateral targets about 20 yards wide... at 7 yards distance....it is soooo much faster for me to almost run and fire shots at them on the move then it is to stop and fire in 3 places during the 20 yard lateral trek. At 10 yards distance...run is out and Groucho walk is in. Interestingly....at a distance of 25 yards away, I find it much faster to break up those 9 targets, firing at three fixed places across the 20 yard trek instead of firing on the move.

Edited by Panic Flinch

• 2 weeks later...

Engage targets on the move when moving toward or backing directly from them first. Engaging one or two targets while getting into a stopped position or backing out of one is a great way to cut some time. Moving laterally and shooting is much tougher and takes more practice.

• 1 month later...

I squaded with Cheely at Area 5 a couple years ago. I can still see him taking targets on the move very low and controlled. He stressed this "getting low" when I took a movement class from him later. Big time savings coming in to a position or moving out of a position if you can get a couple closer targets. Coach is right on.....again.