Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have a revolver and want to use it for IPSC.

mikeg1005

Hey everyone.

I shoot single stack, love it and don't plan on going anywhere else, but I would to get more use out of my revolver... Yes, I would love to have a 625, my GP100 just collects dust now and I'd like to bring it out... I understand that shooting a 38spl/357mag will put me in minor PF but I don't plan on getting overly competitive with this gun, just shoot it for fun.

So... I'd really like to get it set up for this type of shooting, its a 6" GP100.

Front sight post I would get some sort of FO or switch to an orange one(from my current black)

but what I really am trying to look into is moonclips for it... I understand theres a few places that machine them, I heard about Mike Carmoney and that he does work. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to get info about his work as well as if anyone has any imput on this guy... http://www.moonclips.com/default.asp

Another thing.. if you get your gun machine for moon clips... can you still run it without them?

Also, any other recommendations? I have replaced the trigger spring for lighter SA shooting, but if I got too low on my hammer spring it won't ignite my primers(I'm using CCI and from what I heard switching to Fed's will help limit this problem as they are softer)

Thanks,

Mike.

Edited by mikeg1005

Mikeg, to get in on the cheap, why not try speedloaders to get your feet wet? A friend of mine shoots the GP 100 in some of the USPSA, ICORE and IDPA matches. He finished well enough at the IDPA nats in Tulsa to be mentioned at the awards reception as being the only guy that would show up at a Smith and Wesson Match shooting a Ruger. As far as having the cylinder cut for moonclips and being able to shoot rounds with out clips, not a problem as most will cut the cyinder and still leave the outer part to head space the rounds if needed. What do you need to know about Tom? Good man and last I heard will cut moonclips fairly reasonable with good results. Don't know if he still guts them though. Welcome to Revo group, just like the Mayan calander, a never ending circle. later rdd

You know, I was thinking about speedloaders but then looking at the price, for how many I need... I could spend a little more and just get the moon clips.. but the again maybe I will try find some used ones to give it a shot with.

I sent Mike a message thanks for the link.

Mike.

Message response sent.

For everyone else's benefit: I do action work on Ruger DA revolvers occasionally, but I'm not set up to machine cylinders for moonclips.

Tom Kilhoffer is the guy I use and recommend for cutting cylinders for moonclips.

Mikeg, to get in on the cheap, why not try speedloaders to get your feet wet? A friend of mine shoots the GP 100 in some of the USPSA, ICORE and IDPA matches. He finished well enough at the IDPA nats in Tulsa to be mentioned at the awards reception as being the only guy that would show up at a Smith and Wesson Match shooting a Ruger. As far as having the cylinder cut for moonclips and being able to shoot rounds with out clips, not a problem as most will cut the cyinder and still leave the outer part to head space the rounds if needed. What do you need to know about Tom? Good man and last I heard will cut moonclips fairly reasonable with good results. Don't know if he still guts them though. Welcome to Revo group, just like the Mayan calander, a never ending circle. later rdd

Let me get this straight. You mean you can have the cyliner of the 686 cut to accept full moon clips......and still shoot rounds without a moon clip?

Yup, I have a 581 and a 586 7 shot cut for moonclips. I practice without moonclips when I'm too lazy to load them. Pinnacle did my cylinders.

Wow! That would have to be the way to go. It's a no brainer in my books.

Just to clarify. If a shooter shoots 38special ammo they will be in minor category which would less points for non "A" zone hits? But other than that it will not affect anything else?

Yup, I have a 581 and a 586 7 shot cut for moonclips. I practice without moonclips when I'm too lazy to load them. Pinnacle did my cylinders.

Wow! That would have to be the way to go. It's a no brainer in my books.

Just to clarify. If a shooter shoots 38special ammo they will be in minor category which would less points for non "A" zone hits? But other than that it will not affect anything else?

Correct. Power factor must be above 165 to count for major.

I have a whole can of .38 Special ammo I made up for bowling pin matches that can accomplish 225+ p.f.! I wouldn't use it for anything other than pins (or perhaps hunting), but it certainly would more than make USPSA major.

just a note revolver devision has no minimum caliber for Major, so you can shoot your 38/357 at major if you want to load it up to 165 pf.

Mike

I've been told by USPSA that the head stamp better say 357 Mag to be major. If it says 38 Special it won't be considered major. DOn't know if this position has changed??

George

IPSC_PRO,

You still have to make 125PF to shoot Minor. Only a few of the factory +P will make 125 out of a 4" barrel. I don't kow what you can get out of a 6" or more barrel.

I got winchesters +ps. But I don't really want to use them for shooting a match. That's my home defense ammo. Was planning to use just regular 38 specials..guess that won't fly;(

buttttt I do reload .45acp;) So that is one of the reasons why I got the two 625s which I have not even test fired yet. thnx for the info. I will have to shoot at least one match with my 686 though minor or no minor. For me right now it's all mostly about shooting revo not so much competion.

I've been told by USPSA that the head stamp better say 357 Mag to be major. If it says 38 Special it won't be considered major. DOn't know if this position has changed??

George

Well that does not meet with what the rulebook says currently.....

3 Minimum bullet weight No

4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length .38 cal. / 9x19 mm (0.354” x 0.748”)

5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major No

According to the way I interpret this, you can make major in Revo with a 9mm. I have shot several major matches with my 6" Highway Patrolman and 180gr Major loads in 38 Special cases and never been questioned. I think, that what George was told was from an older rulebook where 357 Mag was required for Major not 9mm.

You can make minor w/.38spl. It's done all the time for IDPA. The Pf for SSR is 125. 158gr lead bullets at 800 fps and you're there.

If you're going to shoot 625 @ major Pf, you might want to try it first. I think you'll find it's more of a hand full than most people think till they try it. I switched from SS to revo and am enjoying it a lot. It's going to take a lot of work to get up to speed, but that was know going in.

Hope you enjoy the change to Revo.

George

4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length .38 cal. / 9x19 mm (0.354” x 0.748”)

According to the way I interpret this, you can make major in Revo with a 9mm. I have shot several major matches with my 6" Highway Patrolman and 180gr Major loads in 38 Special cases and never been questioned. I think, that what George was told was from an older rulebook where 357 Mag was required for Major not 9mm.

I know. But I specifically asked and was told the head stamp needs to read 357.

george

Hi Mike, I also have a Gp100 4 . I was going to start off with A sa 1911 45,I just felt

going with my revolver would be a better way to start.I just had a trigger job with the springs replaced on the Ruger.I really do enjoy shooting the revolver. Would be nice to have 625 S&W.Anyway good luck Mike.

John

George

Yes my info dates back several years. During the 9mm major flap.

gm