Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian 38 super comp Yes or no

Alaskapopo

A fellow shooter who is a lot better than me is selling a 38 super comp Caspian gun with 2 short mags and 1 big stick with a C More for $1000. I really wanted to save for an STI but this seems like a steal of a deal. What do you guys think? Also can you recommend a holster that is three gun capable (not prone to falling out) and some mag pouches. The mags are thinner and I don't think my STI pouches will work from my limited gun. Also where is a good place to get brass for the 38 Super comp?

Thanks

Pat

I'm really interested in some other responses since I'm kind of biased.

I have shot a Caspian Open gun since 1993. My short answer is for a grand this sounds like a deal you can feel.

My gun has in excess of 60k rounds. I would suggest you shoot the gun you are interested in and a STI- SVI to get a feel for both. I prefer the heavy steel of the Caspian as opposed to the other frame. But you might not. That being said if I was building another open gun it would be on a Caspian frame but I would not trade my current open gun for any STI SVi built by any gunsmith. I run Safariland 773 mag pouches and Shooters Connection has them very cheap right now. Starline for your brass. I run a Safariland 013 holster but don't shoot 3 gun so wouldn't know if that holster would be a good choice. My suggestion, call Gary at Caspian to get a couple of more magazines and go for it!

PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send a pic of my Open Gun.

Good Luck!

Marty

A-7424

Edited by martyg00

That sounds like a good deal, unless it's totally worn out. I think any of the race holsters that have a lock would work for 3-gun.

As far as brass, it's been a bit harder to get the last year or so, but if you check Starline, CZ Custom (normally best price), Dillon, Midway (they show it in stock right now, under 38 Super heading), Graf and Sons, and a couple of others, you can usually find some. R,

Caspian gets a bad rap because the big sticks are hard to come by. If the gun is in good shape and it runs its a smoking hot deal. If you are currenly shooting limited with a heavy edge put a Cheely mount on it and it will be an easy transition from Iron sights. If you can shoot it before you buy it that will tell you the answer you need.

I've shot a fair number of 3-Gun matches with my Ghost holster, I just lock it, it won't come out, then I just hit the unlock on the draw. Same goes for the LimCat.

Post a picture we can tell you more then.

Make no mistake its an adjust going to the dot, it will take you some time and practice but its worth the effort.

Presuming it isn't worn out (ie it will still make major, no cracks, doesn't rattle too badly) and was built by a reasonable smith that is a pretty good deal. For mag holders I use the same cr speed pouches that I use for sti mags as well. Try it out and see how it fits your hand, for me it fits better than an sti/sv but that isn't universal. Mine have served me well for years. If you shoot it for a while and don't like it I doubt you'd have any trouble selling it for what you paid for it.

A fellow shooter who is a lot better than me is selling a 38 super comp Caspian gun with 2 short mags and 1 big stick with a C More for $1000. I really wanted to save for an STI but this seems like a steal of a deal. What do you guys think? Also can you recommend a holster that is three gun capable (not prone to falling out) and some mag pouches. The mags are thinner and I don't think my STI pouches will work from my limited gun. Also where is a good place to get brass for the 38 Super comp?

Thanks

Pat

I was in the same boat, with wanting to save up for a Matt McLearn gun. I found a steal of a deal on a complete (EVERYthing, 6 mags, holster, pouches, brass, etc etc) open package. The gun is older, and I knew it wasn't exaclty what I wanted.. but I absolutely love it for what it is, and it saved me a ton of money up front. I knew what I wanted (either a Camerons Custom or a Matt McLearn since I like supporting local smiths), but it would have cost me 3x as much, and all I would have gotten was the gun.

Now that I'm in open, I have a good feel for what I want out of a new gun. The gun I have is going to put me in upper B/lower A once my initial classifiers are updated. AND my wife just told me she would 'allow' :wub: me to order a Matt McLearn gun for x-mas.

I guess my point is that sometimes things come up that are TOO good to pass up. If this gun is one of those.. buy it and shoot the crap out of it on the way to what you're really wanting. Others would tell you to save up and just get what you want upfront, but YMMV. Who knows, you may find out that the gun you thought you wanted isnt going to work afterall.

I've been running a caspian open gun since 94, +1 to the above, as long as it's not worn out that's a smoking deal.

caspian took a big hit in popularity during the 94 assault weapons ban, due to mags being hard to find.

I use safariland 771 pouches for para/sti, I prefer them over the same pouches for the caspian, all I due is tighten them down some.

I use the old pinned ghost holster and in the past I used the cr speed. I don't trust any of the newer holster made for sti because the caspian's thinner trigger guard does not fit right and allow the gun to rotate backwards.

I just got in brass from cz custom (g-mans right best price) and graf & sons (nickel plated, pricey) it out there

and the best part is all the posts I've read from the st & sv guys changing their grips out for steel and al grips to make their guns feel better, thinner, weight more etc, and the more I read, the more I feel they are trying to make their guns more like a caspian :lol:

Thanks guys. I want an open pistol since I have been shooting open in three gun since I got my R&R saiga. I could not afford an open pistol that I wanted after getting the shotgun. But this Caspian I can afford with the dividends coming out in Oct.

Pat

Pat,

I'm in the same boat as you. I got an R&R Saiga and was trying to use a Glock with a slide mounted dot as an open pistol. A local guy had a Caspian in .38 Super, with mags for $1200. Best deal I ever got. I shoot much faster and I have more fun. As for http://www.highercapacity.us mags, I have one for my Caspian and for my AR and they work great. Good luck, hope to see you at the R&R match (will be the NW Multigun Challenge)next year.

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Alaska Dividend in so I am picking up the gun tomorrow. I ordered some brass, dies, a Ghost Holster and a new belt. I will post a pic when I pick it up. Thanks for all the help guys. Especially Gmanbart. I did order one 21 round mag from Brownells as well. The gun comes with one big stick and two short mags. I will get another big stick on the next pay check.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Here she is

caspianmorelight.jpg

Caspian.jpg

The only issue I saw was the ejector was not pinned in the frame. He said all his race guns were built like that. But I did not see any other issues or major wear. I won't be able to fire it until my brass and dies come in next week. I will put a pin in the ejector I have done that enough times in the past on my Wilson CQB.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

CR Speed doesn't make an insert that exactly matches the Caspian Hicap mag but I had good luck using the flat wooden stirring sticks that Home Depot gives out for free in the Paint department.

You can fit them behind the STI/Para insert - cut it to size and drill a hole for the insert screw. End up the right length & right width.

Be on the look-out for bullets touching your slide-stop, typically the 2nd-to-top round in the mag. If that happens, remove some material from that section of the slide stop. Bob@Brazos has a good article on his website for that.

Here she is

The only issue I saw was the ejector was not pinned in the frame. He said all his race guns were built like that. But I did not see any other issues or major wear. I won't be able to fire it until my brass and dies come in next week. I will put a pin in the ejector I have done that enough times in the past on my Wilson CQB.

Pat

Old turbocomp from limcat compensator..cool! Let me know if you wana change it.

I'll buy it from you. I like the ejector not being pinned. Fast to replace if you need to

and if you do pin it down, use a brass punch otherwise slide gets stuck and problems..ask me how I know.

I use an older Ghost with the pin and when it's locked...it's locked! My buddy uses the new Racemaster and Double Alpha mag pouches and the are nice and tight. Starline for brass. Just got some 38TJ...it's like heavy duty SuperComp.

The painted skate tape grips are worth $200 alone! I love seeing a great deal. If I could only find one :(.

Are you serious on the grips or just kidding. Sorry I am new to the open game.

Pat

I just put some Alumagrips on my Caspian Open gun and it feels much better than the skate tape. Cost less than $200 too!. Doesn't feel as flat any more, just adds a little thickness. Hope you get your's fixed soon.

Doug

Hey Did you guys shoot this weekend with the snow storm hitting us like it did. Mark.

Shot outdoors Sat, no rain, even got some sun in the early afternoon. Shot indoors on Sun, weather not a problem but it was sunny out. West side of Puget Sound.

Doug