Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting a new steel match

shooting for M

OK,the club I normally shoot with here is talking about starting a steel match. I am kinda jumping the gun, but here it goes. I used to shoot at a local club that had a monthly steel match but it was not like steel challenge, it was more like USPSA but all steel targets. The question I have is, should I stick with the standard steel challenge stages, steel challenge "like" stages(i.e. 5 rounds) or mix steel challenge type stages with USPSA type all steel stages?

I think we might draw some of the cowboys from across the road if we stick to five rounds, but who knows. The reason I am jumping the gun on this is to get a better feel on the targets to order, well if this happens.

What say you? GO ahead, flame me, tell me I am crazy, throw out some opinions please..

One last question, where are clubs getting thier steel? MGM is all I really know, anyone else I should look at?

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

My club purchased our steel from GT Targets. Pretty good guys to deal with and since we have a SSC team, we got a decent discount for some really good quality steel. Call them and talk about what you need, I'm sure they'll help in any way they can.

I would stick with Steel Challenge stages and maybe mix in some "custom" stages to change up some things. Definitely stay with the five target strings, it's revolver friendly so it draws more of a crowd. Also, .22LR has really taken off at my club - it accounts for about 70% of the entries every month.

We have a very regular following and have good attendance with this setup in a medium sized city/area.

PM me if you any specific questions or want to talk some more once you are closer to finalizing the deal. I am a match director of a new club so I can probably help you avoid the problems I had.

Good luck...

Doing "like" matches ends up alienating people and causing confusion it's also real easy to give the impression rules are being made up as you go along. Pick a sport and follow the rules, USPSA seems hell bent on getting steel challenge going. Contact the USPSA director for your area and let him know you have the range and the will and want to get a steel challenge match up and running, you might open up alot of help and discounts for your club.

Provide what appeals to your local audience & fits your range.

5-steel stages, multiple strings of fire, static shooting position matches do have a lot of upside (just about any age/physical shape can be competitive, .22-cal & novice friendly). For at least the past 8 years, my club has hosted the 5-static-steel-plate type matches - attendance varied between 25-50.

For the past couple of summers, the club introduced another steel game.

The match format requires movement, reloads on the clock, sometimes strong-hand or weak-hand only, use of props, vision barriers, varied start positions, 1-string, etc.

Strong resemblance to USPSA style shooting (given the range/prop limitations) - attendance in the 40-50 range.

VERY different crowds with some crossover, but not much. Know what appeals to your local audience and cater to it.

Edited by joseywales

I vote for trying new stages that are not the norm. I perfer knockdown steel and shooting the Pro-AM and the Drazy Steel 500 match, it makes a USPSA stage a lot more fun to me at least because you have to hit all the steel down regardless and you dont have to worry about your hits. Basicly do what your members are interested in. If you have a lot of new shooters though steel challenge is a better starting point due to the limited movement.

Our club plans to run static steel matches with 5 targets per stage and 5 stages. We only have 5 bays. If we affiliate, we will use the Steel Challenge stages and logo. Our plan is to run 3 of these matches with all of the steel bought from GT Targets. (All 8 Steel Challenge Stages is about $3750.00)

We will also run several falling steel matches for fun. We plan to have about 25 poppers on 1 stage, 25 small falling steel targets on another, a dueling tree on a timer like Top Shot on a third stage, a Polish Plate Rack on another stage and dueling Texas Stars on another.(Between me and the club we have all of this steel)

After the first year we will see which is more popular and who we draw to the matches. That will determine what we do going forward but based on our survey, both will be popular but will draw from a different group of shooters.

See what kind of set up help you have first. If only 2-3 people show up to help, then Steel Challenge stages are the way to go. If you have 10 - 15 then a falling steel is doable. 3 guys and 1 truck can set up 5 steel stages in about 30 minutes.

I vote for trying new stages that are not the norm. I perfer knockdown steel and shooting the Pro-AM and the Drazy Steel 500 match, it makes a USPSA stage a lot more fun to me at least because you have to hit all the steel down regardless and you dont have to worry about your hits. Basicly do what your members are interested in. If you have a lot of new shooters though steel challenge is a better starting point due to the limited movement.

Yes,if you have a lot of new shooters you don't want to run them off with TEXAS STARS,AND DUELING TREES,I know at my range we have a mix good shooters and FIRST TIMERS,and OLD TIMERS,,any good luck and if you build it they will come :roflol:

There is a club in the area that runs USPSA style stages with all steel targets. Reloads are required and movement is involved. Other than the targets, everything is run under USPSA rules. It's a lot of fun and moves quickly because there isn't any scoring, pasting or re-setting.

Well, I sent off for info from SCSA on sunday and they haven't go back to me, it's only been a couple days, so I am not complaining. How are the times running per shoter per stage? Close to USPSA?

Do most people run a second gun? I foresee a lot of shooters running thier centerfire division and rimfire, I think I will :D. How much does your club charge for the second gun? Does anyone designate the stop plate, I was thinking painting the stand red or something.

I am getting pretty excited, can you tell?

Edited by shooting for M

We just did a Wednesday evening Steel match for the summer. worked out to be 12 Wednesdays. May - July (with one skip).

The intent was to get non Action Pistol members to try it out, then to get qualified (this non USPSA club requires an orientation class). It was very successful. 50-70 shooters each time.

We ran Steel Challenge type stages - 5 steel plates.

All divisions started from low ready, no holsters, no reloading on the clock

10 rounds max in the magazine.

1 gun only (we could basically shoot from 4:30 - 7:30) - and a few days we finished after 8

Stage description always posted. We started with the stop plate post being red, but that went out the door after the 2nd match or so.

Open

Limited

Revolver

Rimfire

Edited by BerKim

As far as times per shooter, per stage - it's a tad longer than USPSA. Where it's usually between 10 - 45 seconds per shooter and then scoring and pasting, so about 2 mins per shooter for USPSA, it's about 3 mins per shooter or longer for SC. When we have 30 shooters at our USPSA match, we start at 10:00 and are usually done by 12:30 - 1:00. With SC, we usually don't finish until about 1:45 - 2:15. I always thought it would go faster without the movement but when you factor in 5 strings and most shooters are reloading between strings, unbagging, re-bagging, etc., it just takes a tad longer.

Yes, last month we had 24 shooters but 34 guns registered. So that's 42% that shot a second gun, almost half. One guy wanted to shoot three guns and I don't mind letting one or two people do it as long as they make sure to help their squad with painting, scoring, etc. And yes, most do one CF and one RF but some do both RF.

Our second gun fee is $5.

We paint the 2x4 red. We use GT Targets so we have a 2x4 that holds up the plate and everyone can see a big red board and it's not permanent too. Works out great.

Good luck, hope it all turns out well...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The steel is in! Going to cut the 2X4s tomorrow night and se if we can get a couple stages pre-measured. I guess we are going to try a couple different score card configurations and see what works best. It's starting to sound like we might have a pretty good turnout, I din't know if I am more excited or nervous!

Well, the first match is over and done with. Great success, 35 shooters! Learned some stuff, need to buy more paint than I thought, and the 2X4s may not last as long as I thought. This stuff is a blast! I can't believe more clubs don't shoot SCSA. Thanks to all that helped out.

Jason