Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Battle Rifles

little_kahuna

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say Battle Rifle, that specifically excludes the little tiny Black Rifle. Wiht that in mind My choice would be an M-14/M1A. .308 will take anything on earth, although bigger than Elk gets dicey! It has great penetration for when the Zombies hide behind cars and such...(although the same can be said for any good .308) It has a great sight radius, it is very reliable and very robust, it can take a bayonet, and of the Battle Rifles out there it is one of the lightest and has the least bolt mass so recoil is very managable. Make Mine and M1A.

Alright everyone, I am looking for some opinions on a practical application battle rifle. Basically, what would you want to have if you had to kill zombies to survive, and why?

Hit me.

Stock M4 with TA01NSN ACOG. Best rifle ever invented. Reliable, accurate out to 6-700 yds. Great CQB rifle. Can carry 1000 rds on you.

OK-if Kurt wants to eliminate the Little Black RIfle-which I must say is completely arbitrary-an M14 or a FN FAL is my pick. Carrying ammo is a bitch, though. These rifles are not exactly light either. Plenty of reach and power and reliable and able to get ammo anywhere, including Third World.

Edited by Jadeslade

M14 or M1 Garand....Big, heavy, heavy hitting, and if the zombies get close, you can bayonet them or just beat them to death with it.

The M14 has a detachable box mag, that holds 20 or more, .308 caliber.

The Garand only holds 8 rounds, but it is a 30-06, and it loads fairly quick.

Both have been battle tested to the extreme, and came out winners.

Add a BAR to the list. It's the 30-06 equivalent of the M14.

With zombies, I want them to drop where I shoot them, not continue trying to eat me. Plus, with those big guns, you line up more than one zombie in your sights, and you get more than one zombie down with one shot! :cheers:

That is kinda what I had in mind, something along the lines of an M1A/M14/M21 (EBR: Is the aluminum/steel lower receiver of the M21 EBR available?), but I've also received some other legitimate suggestions including the FN FAL and the AR-10. What do you guys think?

Edited by little_kahuna

When you say Battle Rifle, that specifically excludes the little tiny Black Rifle. Wiht that in mind My choice would be an M-14/M1A. .308 will take anything on earth, although bigger than Elk gets dicey! It has great penetration for when the Zombies hide behind cars and such...(although the same can be said for any good .308) It has a great sight radius, it is very reliable and very robust, it can take a bayonet, and of the Battle Rifles out there it is one of the lightest and has the least bolt mass so recoil is very managable. Make Mine and M1A.

The little black rifle has served me well. On that though if we are talking the end of days I would choose a rifle that I could find the parts anywhere, and the ammo included. A 22 magnum would be great pistol and rifle ammo the same and most of the shots would never be heard. If I was in a third world country an AK would me my weapon because I could find parts and ammo anywhere. I don't think M-14 parts can be found on any shelf. On that if I really had to kill zombies the flam thorougher would be my first choice. In call of Duty 4 the flam thorougher kicks @ss ( last deployment inside joke ha ha). A home made Bow and Arrow would work great too.

That is kinda what I had in mind, something along the lines of an M1A/M14/M21 (EBR: Is the aluminum/steel lower receiver of the M21 EBR available?), but I've also received some other legitimate suggestions including the FN FAL and the AR-10. What do you guys think?

A bazookea

+1 for FN FAL, just can't get with the garand/M1 safety (yes, it's a classic, i've just got enough problems without sticking my finger in the triggerguard before i'm ready to fire). begrudging thumbs-up to the K91 if only because your ejected brass can function as a secondary ballistic

/whining anti-HK91 rant on/

i've got a 91 clone and that thing kicks your brass out easily 20+ yards forward and in some random pattern off to your right. I could live with that if it wasn't for the incremental rotator-cuff damage you suffer every time you fire that thing. bolt velocity on the roller-locking guns is insanely high to ensure primary extraction (along with the chamber fluting that hoses your brass), so every time I fire it, you have this microsecond pause as the recoil overcomes the rollers and then whammo the bolt sails back at just over the speed of sound... 10 rounds through that thing feels like 30 from my .308 bolt gun.

/whining anti-HK91 rant off/

+1 for FN FAL, just can't get with the garand/M1 safety (yes, it's a classic, i've just got enough problems without sticking my finger in the triggerguard before i'm ready to fire). begrudging thumbs-up to the K91 if only because your ejected brass can function as a secondary ballistic

/whining anti-HK91 rant on/

i've got a 91 clone and that thing kicks your brass out easily 20+ yards forward and in some random pattern off to your right. I could live with that if it wasn't for the incremental rotator-cuff damage you suffer every time you fire that thing. bolt velocity on the roller-locking guns is insanely high to ensure primary extraction (along with the chamber fluting that hoses your brass), so every time I fire it, you have this microsecond pause as the recoil overcomes the rollers and then whammo the bolt sails back at just over the speed of sound... 10 rounds through that thing feels like 30 from my .308 bolt gun.

/whining anti-HK91 rant off/

Duely noted. Thanks for the input. In regards to the M1A safety, I guess it's a function of conditioning. It seems that most of these rifles perform comparably, so maybe whatever you like?

Keep your zombie killing rifle preferences coming!

FN-FAL, was using it for 3-gun and moved to the AR-10 and getting LR-308. But for zombies I think I'd go back to the FAL. Better for closer shooting with better reliability and less recoil than an AR-10 with a brake, at least the Armalite brake.

if we are talking the end of days I would choose a rifle that I could find the parts anywhere, and the ammo included. A 22 magnum would be great pistol and rifle ammo the same and most of the shots would never be heard.

funny you mention this. i recently saw the movie "the road" and all I could think was a simple .22lr bolt gun with a decent suppressor would have made a world of difference...

FB3GDQ posted this:

"The little black rifle has served me well. On that thought if we are talking the end of days I would choose a rifle that I could find the parts anywhere, and the ammo included."

OH you young guys!!! What a boot! :sight:

First off you had a little black carbine...you know 14.5" barrel as opposed to a rifle??? with a 20" barrel, and at no time would I consider any .223 a battle rifle, I have said this many times before, show me your favorite 14.5" barreled M4 type ELK rifle!( who said a big old Grizzly bear can't become a ZOMBIE)

Now I guess it depends on where you are in the country, but the 7-11 here CARRIES .308 ammo!! No .223! and you don't need spare parts if the damn thing never breaks! I have never had an M1A part break, EVER, even though I carry a few...which is why they never break!

NOTE: FB3GDQ is a good friend of mine and I am screwing with him...But for general use 308 is best!

Edited by kurtm

BAYONET!?? "Sergeant, if i have bullets, why is there a human on the end of my rifle?" (in response to instruction on how to remove stuck bayonet.)

:cheers:

FB3GDQ posted this:

"The little black rifle has served me well. On that thought if we are talking the end of days I would choose a rifle that I could find the parts anywhere, and the ammo included."

OH you young guys!!! What a boot! :sight:

First off you had a little black carbine...you know 14.5" barrel as opposed to a rifle??? with a 20" barrel, and at no time would I consider any .223 a battle rifle, I have said this many times before, show me your favorite 14.5" barreled M4 type ELK rifle!( who said a big old Grizzly bear can't become a ZOMBIE)

Now I guess it depends on where you are in the country, but the 7-11 here CARRIES .308 ammo!! No .223! and you don't need spare parts if the damn thing never breaks! I have never had an M1A part break, EVER, even though I carry a few...which is why they never break!

NOTE: FB3GDQ is a good friend of mine and I am screwing with him...But for general use 308 is best!

What about the Bazooka and the AK

OK-if Kurt wants to eliminate the Little Black RIfle-which I must say is completely arbitrary-

It's not arbitrary. The M4 is not a battle rifle. It's not chambered in a sufficient cartridge to be considered a battle rifle. The M4 is an assault rifle. Which would be my pick for a zombie rifle. Gotta make lots of headshots anyway. If I had to pick a battle rifle, it would be a .308 AR, probably an LMT. At least there is some parts interchangability.

Zombies....

For those pesky critters, I choose a 16" AR15 or M16 :D

A Burris xtr 1 to 4 power with a Firebird CQSS Topped with a C-more STS

Two beta mags, and a few coupled Pmags

For an excessive number of zombies...I may choose a belt fed mounted to the roof of my Hummer :lol:

Jim

He did say a battle rifle. So I'd have to go the M14 route as well. No I think I'd have to go with a .308 ar maybe a good JP. With iron sights dammit! Who needs optics for zombies?

Zombies....

For those pesky critters, I choose a 16" AR15 or M16 :D

A Burris xtr 1 to 4 power with a Firebird CQSS Topped with a C-more STS

Two beta mags, and a few coupled Pmags

For an excessive number of zombies...I may choose a belt fed mounted to the roof of my Hummer :lol:

Jim

Edited by J-Ho