Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Eagle: can you switch from .45 to 9mm?

solaritx

I have a STI Eagle in .45 that I use in IDPA. Is it possible to switch slide, barrel, etc to allow it to shoot 9mm or does one have to get a whole new gun?

I was looking at getting a 9mm 1911 when it was suggested that I could possibly have both using the same frame but different slides, etc.

Thanks

Garry

I have a STI Eagle in .45 that I use in IDPA. Is it possible to switch slide, barrel, etc to allow it to shoot 9mm or does one have to get a whole new gun?

I was looking at getting a 9mm 1911 when it was suggested that I could possibly have both using the same frame but different slides, etc.

Thanks

Garry

Most 9mms use a ramped barrel so unless your frame is ramped you would have to get your frame cut but then you couldn't put your .45 back on it. Good excuse to get another gun I think :cheers:

Hello: Depending on the slide the switch for 9mm and 40 can be done. I had a older Kimber Eclipse that was a 10mm I converted to 40 and 9mm. I just had to change out the barrel and mags and it was ready to go. It worked perfectly and still does so my friend says :cheers: You would have to check the breachface on the STI slide to see what width it is to make it work and maybe the extractor as well. I have a 9mm barrel and may try this on my 40 slide just to see if it will. Another top end should cost about $1000 fitted with the parts. Another option would be to get a SVI slide with the interchangeable breachface and then you could have a 9mm,38, 40 and a 45 with the same lower. It would be a little pricey though. OR you could just buy a STI Spartan 9mm :cheers: Thanks, Eric

You'll need an ejector, and sInce you said, IDPA, you will also need a different slide stop,,, really the top end switcheroo makes almost no sense whatsoever on any gun. By the time you buy all the parts, and especially if you are paying for fitting these parts, you could have another gun, Yes it can be done but there isnt any advantage, You'll end up messing up your frame to slide fit to the current slide and basically have two topends that dont fit well. You have the ultimate gamer ESP gun already, down load some 180 gr .45 ACP loads to 130 ish power factor and put big giant holes in the cardboard with almost zero recoil.

Joe4D is correct, it is the ultimate gamer ESP gun. I shoot a wide body 45 down loaded to about 145 power factor, it shoots really soft. I have been shooting ESP with it now for about a year with no problems. I just switch out the recoil springs when I go from major to minor.

Todd

Is the 9mm and the 40s&w closer to switch

Not really....generally a whole new top end, ejector and mags. R,

9mm and .40 use the same ejector.

A switch-top between 9mm and .40 can make sense. You can put together a second top end quite a bit cheaper than buying or building a whole new gun. With the 9mm/.40 combination, because the ejector is in the same location, you can simply pull the slide stop and switch top ends in just a few seconds.

Some folks here might remember my thread about the switch-top Armscor wide-body pistol I made up a few years ago. Same concept.

post-4033-005737400 1283518119_thumb.jpg

I have shot .45 Minor ESP and it is a hoot.

No more recoil than any other ESP and big holes in the target.

Such big holes as to pick up a couple of points in a typical match.

I have not yet had one go over the border on a non-threat.

I have loaded a 200 gr to 650-700 fps with 700X, Clays, Solo 1000, and Bullseye.

The 700X requires a vibrator on the powder measure and is a good idea on Clays and Solo. B.E. has metered without one for a long long time.

The flake powders are more consistent in light loads than ball type.

Advertising to the contrary, Titegroup is less uniform than Solo or Bull, and WST or HP38 are just wild.

Caliber convertible guns fall under Murphy's Law. Whenever you want to shoot one caliber, you will find that the other barrel is installed.

I have shot .45 Minor ESP and it is a hoot.

No more recoil than any other ESP and big holes in the target.

Such big holes as to pick up a couple of points in a typical match.

I have not yet had one go over the border on a non-threat.

I have loaded a 200 gr to 650-700 fps with 700X, Clays, Solo 1000, and Bullseye.

The 700X requires a vibrator on the powder measure and is a good idea on Clays and Solo. B.E. has metered without one for a long long time.

The flake powders are more consistent in light loads than ball type.

Advertising to the contrary, Titegroup is less uniform than Solo or Bull, and WST or HP38 are just wild.

Caliber convertible guns fall under Murphy's Law. Whenever you want to shoot one caliber, you will find that the other barrel is installed.

What did you think about shooting ESP with fewer rounds than the 9mm guys?

Hello: When I shot my 2011 in ESP I could still load to 10 +1. When I shot my 1911 45 in ESP I could shoot 9+1. I just did not like the feel of the 45 at minor power factor and I bumped the loads up to 150PF or so with 200 grain bullets. I like shooting 9mm, that is why I shoot it in SSP and ESP. I like my STI Spartan 45 for CDP :cheers: Clays is the best 45 powder I have used so far. Thanks, Eric

I started out with some shop-made 9 round single stack .45 magazines that fit The Box.

Cut off a 10 round Metalform or Brown, silver solder the floorplate back on, and use a McCormick follower and spring kit.

9+1 will get you through any stage that you don't miss more than once on.

I now have a gunsmith build of STI Eagle configuration so I can shoot 10+1.

The vast majority of 9mm 1911 pattern guns are not running the extra extended ejector.

No reason you can't use the same ejector for .40, and 9mm, in a limited or IDPA style gun.

Special Extended unit may be called for in an open gun that must clear the scope mount. Not an issue here.

I don't recommend 1 gun with convertible tops for the reasons previously posted. Sure it can work, but is not going to be better.

I added up the cost of the parts (mostly STI parts) to compare with an Eagle/Edge.

Slide: $260

Barrel: $193

Extractor: 24

Firing Pin: $8

Firing Pin Stop: $12

Guide Rod: $16

Slide Stop: $50

Link: $5

Front Sight: $39

Rear Sight: $52

Recoil Spring: $8

Reverse Plug/Bushing: $7

Total = $671

I used the labor prices charged by a well-known gunsmith:

Fit slide to frame: $150

Fit barrel: $150

Sight install: $100

Blue: $50-150

Total = $550

Total for both: $1221

If you can do the work yourself, or get a sweetheart deal on parts prices, or find cheaper alternatives, it might work out differently. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I added up the cost of the parts (mostly STI parts) to compare with an Eagle/Edge.

Slide: $260

Barrel: $193

Extractor: 24

Firing Pin: $8

Firing Pin Stop: $12

Extractor: $24

Guide Rod: $16

Slide Stop: $50

Link: $5

Front Sight: $39

Rear Sight: $52

Recoil Spring: $8

Reverse Plug/Bushing: $7

Total = $698

I used the labor prices charged by a well-known gunsmith:

Fit slide to frame: $150

Fit barrel: $150

Sight install: $100

Blue: $50-150

Total = $550

Total for both: $1248

If you can do the work yourself, or get a sweetheart deal on parts prices, or find cheaper alternatives, it might work out differently. R,

2 extractors for the spare slide? Can you use same slide stop on both set up's ? Stainless caspian slide ($300) with sight cuts and you can install your own sights and dont have to pay for blueing. Saves ~100-200 right there.

2 extractors for the spare slide? Can you use same slide stop on both set up's ? Stainless caspian slide ($300) with sight cuts and you can install your own sights and dont have to pay for blueing. Saves ~100-200 right there.

The price quoted for sight install didn't include making the cuts...and it was actually higher ($50 front, $90 rear)...not sure why. I'd put my own sights on, but not everybody would be comfortable doing so.

The extra extractor was a typo (fixed). I listed the slide stop if the gun was going to be a .45 and 9mm. R,