Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Pistol Suggestions

I was shooting my Ruger P95 today and I made a decision that I need something different. When I started, I was hitting 10-12 out of 15 at 15 yards on 4" swingers. Not shooting for great speed, probably 15 shots in 10-12 seconds. After about 60 rounds at 94 degrees outside, well aimed shots were spraying 9-12" in every direction. I was shooting once every 8 seconds or so, and my grip and form seemed fine to me. I let it cool about 20 minutes and was back to acceptable accuracy. What really bugs me is the horrendously long trigger travel. Around 3/4-7/8" from take-up to fire in both single- and double-action. Is that normal? I have been thinking of switching to an XD-40 or 1911 for some time now, and I'm leaning toward the 1911. I will have $800-1000 to spend, not counting ammo and reloading supplies. I have looked at Taurus, Springfield, and Armscor. I'm leaning towards the Springfield, but would like to hear what you all think would be my best course of action as a beginner. I have shot a 45 quite a bit and don't seem to have any trouble with the added recoil.

Thanks for your input,

Mitch

P.S. A gunsmith and I have not been able to adjust the windage on the Ruger, so I have to aim about 2" low and 4" left of center to be dead on.

Edited by muleymaniac81

I'd lean toward the Springfield if you want a 1911. Singlestack is a great division to start out in. You learn to be quick with your reloads, and to plan your reloads. When considering purchase price I would remember that you will want at least 4-6 mag pouches and 6 mags, preferably more.

Production is also a great division for the same reasons, plus with minor scoring you learn to be accurate and it is dirt cheap to get started in.

Is there a reason you want the XD-40 rather than the -9? It is cheaper to reload than .40 or .45, which means more practice ammo.

rh, just wanting the extra pop of the 40. Not really necessary, as the Ruger will probably become my CWC gun and the 1911 my competition gun, that is if I can find a club anywhere close to me. Also, I work Friday through Tuesday, so I'll have to take vacation to go to shoots. Bummer, but I can deal with it.

My wife is in the same boat she works Wed-Mon. From those listed the SpringField is the better gun. Look for a Loaded they are very nice. I shoot a lot of guns but I sure love my 45 Single Stack it just has a nice sweet push to it.

I don't dislike Springfield, but you'll probably want work done to most any 1911 you get, and that adds up quickly. Best value going seems to be a Spartan, then use the cash left over for a trigger job, magwell and extra mags. I say no less than five mags on your belt, one in a pocket for in the gun, and a barney mag in a pocket. Right there you've pretty much used up your $8-1000 budget, but you'll have a competition ready setup.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=6DC0000-1161707138

You want to use a gun with crappy trigger and horrendous un zeroed sights that sprays rounds everywhere is heavy and bulky as a carry gun ? :surprise:

Sell it and suddenly your budget increases a couple hundred dollars.

I guess gun wise it really comes down to what you want the gun to do and what games you want to play. Cardboard and paper dont require much extra pop, The .40 is very versatile though especially since you reload, you can download it for games and divisions centered around the 9mm, or upload it to major and shoot USPSA Limited or Limited 10 or Singlestack bowling pins or just general blasting. Since you are just starting out I would suggest versatility, and something mainstream that you could sell if your tastes change, Usually there are reasons you see the same handful of guns at matches over and over. If I was starting all over from scratch I would buy a S&W M&P 5" gun in 9mm, and go shoot the snot out of it.

The gun alone would eat your budget but I sure like my STI Trojan in 9mm. Might watch Gun Broker a used one sold for $800 the first of the week. Purchased mine used a few years back used for a good price. They are popular and sell quick. I haven't shot a Spartan in 9mm but do know someone with a 45 that's pleased with his pistol. He had to have the chamber reamed a little deeper to shoot 200gn lead bullets but that's not a big deal either.

Expect to spend a little tuning almost any 1911 that you might purchase. The Spartan is light years ahead of a P95.

There's a reason most of the guys that have shot for a while use STI products. You just need to think shopping a little further than the local gun shop usually.

Adjustable sights, only way to go with a pistol your using in competition, simple turn with a screwdriver at the range.

Go to some of the local IDPA, IPSC Matches before you spend the bucks, most everyone will show you their equipment, see what you think might work best for you and the type of competition that's in your area.

There are lot's of aftermarket parts for Glocks, M@P's and 1911's, pick something you can build on as your skills improve.

The gun alone would eat your budget but I sure like my STI Trojan in 9mm. Might watch Gun Broker a used one sold for $800 the first of the week. Purchased mine used a few years back used for a good price. They are popular and sell quick. I haven't shot a Spartan in 9mm but do know someone with a 45 that's pleased with his pistol. He had to have the chamber reamed a little deeper to shoot 200gn lead bullets but that's not a big deal either.

Expect to spend a little tuning almost any 1911 that you might purchase. The Spartan is light years ahead of a P95.

There's a reason most of the guys that have shot for a while use STI products. You just need to think shopping a little further than the local gun shop usually.

Adjustable sights, only way to go with a pistol your using in competition, simple turn with a screwdriver at the range.

Go to some of the local IDPA, IPSC Matches before you spend the bucks, most everyone will show you their equipment, see what you think might work best for you and the type of competition that's in your area.

There are lot's of aftermarket parts for Glocks, M@P's and 1911's, pick something you can build on as your skills improve.

Sound advice here.

Im a huge fan of Springfield, both the XD/XDM line and their 1911s. I would highly recommend any of their products. However, although I prefer the feel of the SA, STI make a very high quality product as others have mentioned. Cant go wrong with either one...

Edited by Avezorak

I ordinarily recommend new shooters shoot what they already own for at least 6 months to be sure they understand the game before they start buying guns for it. I didn't do that and I bought a couple of guns that weren't really what I needed.

But in your case, I might reconsider since you're not happy or getting good results with the gun you have.

Of the guns you mentioned, a Springfield 1911 would be the most versatile gun, and is the one best suited to competition (while still being useful for carry). As others have pointed out, you might also consider the STI Spartan or a used 1911. If I were looking primarily for value, I think a good used 1911 from one of the better companies (Springfield, Sti, Kimber) and some time at the gunsmith might give you the best bang for the buck. If you watch the classifieds here for a while, you might find a deal on a gun that's already been upgraded and is ready to go.

If you opt for a plastic gun, you really should consider a 9mm for production, unless you;re going to reload, in which case a .40 would let you load minor for production or major for limited. While there are XD shooters who do well with their guns, Glocks and M&Ps are where I'd look. There are certainly a wealth of Glock and M&P parts, accessories, drop in triggers, etc that can dramatically improve the gun.

If you'll ask around at the local matches, you shouldn't have too hard a time finding people who'll let you shoot their 1911s and tupperware so you can see what suits you. Take the time to find the gun that suits you, and you'll be time and money ahead.

FWIW, I have a P95. While it's reliable as can be, it's not a game gun. My wife likes it, but she doesn't shoot competitively.

You didn't state if you planned to shoot USPSA, IDPA or other dicipline. While going the 1911 route is great you will find your funds will go alot further if you purchase something like a M&P Pro model or an Springfield XD. For your budget you will have funds for the gun, extra mags and your rig.

• 3 weeks later...

If you decide to buy a 1911, I suggest you buy 10 round mags and start in Lim-10. I can say without a doubt that shooting USPSA with 8 round mags is tough. Stage break down is hard. On 8 round arrays you can not shoot 9 or you are on slide lock for the rest of the stage. Lim-10 and Production are both a lot more newbie friendly. 2 rounds is huge.

If you decide to buy a 1911, I suggest you buy 10 round mags and start in Lim-10. I can say without a doubt that shooting USPSA with 8 round mags is tough. Stage break down is hard. On 8 round arrays you can not shoot 9 or you are on slide lock for the rest of the stage. Lim-10 and Production are both a lot more newbie friendly. 2 rounds is huge.

Very true. SS, done properly is often just like shooting Virginia count...for the whole match!

I bought a Springfield Loaded on consignment at my local gun store (my first 1911) for around $600.00 (PI9132LP). Looking at Gunbroker, I guess this was a good deal - though I didn't know at the time. The only issue I had with the gun was the rifling starts real close to the chamber so it was picky on ammo - when I started loading my own - I loaded shorter rounds and it worked great. I've since done a C&S Ultra Light speed II set, VZ grips, 10-8 flat trigger, springs, S&A magwell and it really is a great gun. I might have a little more than 1000.00 into it.

If you want a 1911 Single Stack I'd get a Springfield Loaded. For a little more money you could get a Para 1640. Otherwise I'll look at the glocks and XDs. I use 2011s and also have 3 XDs and a Glock. I really like the XDs b/c they fit in my hand better than a Glock, but it's all about how it feels in your hand. My had really likes the 2011:rolleyes:

Decide what divisiton you want to shoot in and buy a gun that fits the need for that division.

Very true. SS, done properly is often just like shooting Virginia count...for the whole match!

Heck... Im shooting SS minor with 10 rounds, and its a chore to get through a stage not at slide lock.. :roflol:

I personally think that production is the best division for beginners to start out in, and it is on this opinion that I am basing my advice. I think that you should shoot production because it is the cheapest to get into and be competitive in. If you buy a stock Glock 17 or M&P 9, 4-6 mags, a kydex holster, and mag pouches and you're ready to go, no gun smith required.

Reasons you should shoot production (and buy a production gun):

1. You shoot cheaper bullets, 9mm, so you can shoot MORE (this is huge because you can practice way more with less expensive rounds)
  2. You are scored minor so you HAVE to learn to shoot accurately and to shoot A's
  3. You will be forced to reloads and you will learn how to plan stages (but if you do need to take an extra shot on most arrays you probably won't be screwed)
  4. You will learn better trigger control since you can't shoot a SAO type gun (1911)
  5. Almost all of the plastic wonder guns are extremely reliable out of the box. The last thing you want in a competition gun is one that will not run.

The best thing I ever did for my shooting was to sell my first handgun Glock 22 (.40) and buy a Glock 34 (9mm). I was able to shoot double the amount and the softer recoil made it easier to learn not to flinch and track my sights.

I think 1911's are terrific, though not as beginner guns. Often they require tweaking in order to run well and to fit your taste. I think you should take a hard look at a Glock 9mm (17/34/19), M&P 9 or pro, and HK P30 LEM (9mm). In my limited experience I've found that beginners often have a much easier time mastering consistent trigger action pistols like glocks, M&Ps and HK LEMs than with traditional DA/SA guns. Additionally, the manual of arms is simpler because you do not need an external safety, and these pistols are less maintenance intensive.

Stay safe and have fun,

CAZ

Edited by Cold Absolute Zero