Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vests

tackdr1ver

Hey Guys,

I am in need of a vest. There are a few I have been thinking about but it would be nice to get some feedback from those of you who own them. The number one concern for me is weight. Shooting on the coast of South Carolina doesn't lend itself to staying cool on the range half the year. Ideally it would be nice to find something that isn't a heat trap and heavy enough to sweep away for drawing and going for mags etc. What do you all use and what are your findings?

The vests I have been looking at are:

1) Sigtac

2) Woolrich Elite

3) 5.11

4) Ordering the lightweight vest from the idpa website (unsure of manufacturer)

I am certainly open to suggestions for other brands too. As you know the economy stinks lately, so I would like to keep the cost in the lower stratosphere if at all possible. Admittedly I am not a big fan of the tactical vest look, so something with less conspicuous tailoring would be nice but not required.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I have the Woolrich vest.

I haven't seen the Sigtac but the 5.11 is GTG.

The ones at the IDPA sell are Woolrich, but the lightweight ones are too flimsy.

Smith and Alexander make a lightweight vest and another shooter found that it was too flimsy too.

Eotac makes vests and I found that the lightweight ones were too flimsy.

I was using a hunting vest at first, but ended up with the 5.11, excellent quality, around seventy bucks, so not cheap, but very satisfied with it. Wife will be using the other vest since I shrunk it while washing it, fits her well.

See if you can try a couple on, and go for the one that works well for you.

I have the Cabela's Safari vest. It's not one of the "go to" vests but the price was right, and it hasn't slowed me down a bit. It might be a little heavy for what you want, but you only have to where it while you shoot.

My order of preference:

5.11 (the original)

EOTAC (lots of support for IDPA)

Woolrich Elite (good start, but they fell off the map a couple of years ago)

I initially had a SigTac, but moved up to a Woolrich Elite. Unfortunately, the inside of it that contacts my gun got torn up, so I just replaced it with a 5.11 ($40! Thank you eBay!).

If you go with one of these brands, you need to consider whether you want the full-weight or lightweight models. The lightweights are great for warm weather, but I think the full-weight models sweep out of the way on your draw better because of the stiffer material.

I know my Cabela's safari vest is lighter than my Sigtac, and pretty sure its lighter than the 5.11's also. Plus the back is mesh under the strips of fabric and really does help cool you down if you dont take it off. Im sure it will be off and on this weekend when its 95deg in Hot Springs Ark.

I use a Truspec vest I got from Christ Patty at CPWSA.com. I really don't understand the need for a light weight vest. You only wear it for a few seconds then you take it back off. Now if you plan to wear it all day all the time then I guess I can see it but they don't tend to sweep well.

I have both the Woolrich and Eotac light weight vests. The Eotac is a little longer. Both extreamly comfortable in hot weather - like North or South Carolina. A standard weight (heavier) vests does get out of the way a little faster (perhaps). I have a Woolrich standard weight vest.

Generally I like Eotac products MUCH better than Woolrich. The ONLY exception is the light weight vest. I like the length of the Woolrich better - the Eotac is a little longer. So, if you get a standard weight vest go Eotac. If you get the light vest, get the Woolrich if you like it the same length as a standard vest and get the Eotac if you would like something just a little longer.

I think, but I'm not sure, that the lightweight vest on the IDPA website is made by Eotac. You can call IDPA and ask. Here's the link to the Eotac website:

http://www.eotac.com/discreet-clothing/discreet-outerwear/mens-lightweight-vest

I don't use a shooting vest or a vest for shooting. I've tried and they always make me feel like such a gamer since IDPA is the ONLY time I would ever wear one. I mean doesn't it go against the whole idea of IDPA, wear and shoot what you carry?, and make a mockery of the game if I would normally never actualy wear it like the spirit of the sport suggests? Should that not earn me a FTDR if I did? I wear my normal street clothes whether it's a fleece, jacket or shirt. Sometimes when it's hot I just use the tshirt.

I don't use a shooting vest or a vest for shooting. I've tried and they always make me feel like such a gamer since IDPA is the ONLY time I would ever wear one. I mean doesn't it go against the whole idea of IDPA, wear and shoot what you carry?, and make a mockery of the game if I would normally never actualy wear it like the spirit of the sport suggests? Should that not earn me a FTDR if I did? I wear my normal street clothes whether it's a fleece, jacket or shirt. Sometimes when it's hot I just use the tshirt.

Please provide a list of concealment garments that you allow for CCW use. In my world, a 5.11/tactical vest is perfectly acceptable (although a bit obvious). Just because you don't use one for CCW doesn't mean everyone else forgoes them also.

IDPA isn't real world. It's a game. If you want to win, you combine skills development with the equipment that best helps your chances. If you don't want to do that, you don't have to. Just don't complain when competitors playing the game legally beat you.

I've used 2 so far. I started with a SigTac lightweight. It shrunk a little in the length and when I started shooting a G34, the muzzle comes awfully close the bottom of the vest. Ended up going to a 5.11. It's heavier - I especially noticed it after shooting without it the last 3 months, then going back to it, but it clears easy for draws and mag changes.

I use in IDPA the same Concealed Carry Clothiers vests I wear for everyday concealed carry. What I love about these vests is they're NOT designed to look badass and paramilitary. Instead, while being designed to be baggy and long enough to be good concealment garments, they've also been designed to look kinda-sorta like a suit vest. I've lost track of the number of people at an IDPA match who've said to me, "Wow, your vest actually looks like....a vest."