Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how many people here are sponsered poll

cali shot doc

I can only speak from experience.

Max Michel almost had me convinced that I needed to buy a Sig at the Tulsa Pro AM, one of the Rudy guys DID convince me that I needed a pair of their glasses.

As for the other guys and their positive experiences, I have had them too. Manny Bragg, Mike Seeklander, Jerry Miculek, Kay Miculek, Max Michel, Blake Miguez, Phil Strader, and Randi Rogers, and I am sure there are more, have all taken the time to talk to me and were very pleasant. I guess it is just a case of one or two bad experiences tainting my opinion.

I am confused. You bank your opinion on a single episode of sponsored GM shooters who only pick up a check and leave (admitted unknown circumstances) yet you list at least 8-10 experiences that are the standard and your opinion is that GM shooters don't put the time in to talk and promote product????? Could you please explain.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot for Team Bacon, they give you bacon.... its awesome.

I don't have to advertise or sell the product.

Have you ever seen Bacon and needed someone to convince you that you want it? Nope, Its Bacon, no one can resist.

The only questions I get are "Can I have some bacon?" and "Are you a cop?"

We have a lot of local shooters that only shoot local matches and don't plan on shooting any Major matches at all. So they really have no chance in talking with any "big name shooters" about equipment,products,gunsmiths......... I am a sponsored shooter and thank all my sponsors for giving me this opportunity.I have not and I will not discuss what compensation that I receive for being sponsored,this is between me,my sponsors and Team.

I had a new shooter friend attend a major match with me. He seemed awestruck at how many "pros" were there. I asked him, how many full-time shooters do you think are here? His answer: "At least 45, or 50...."

He was dumbfounded when I explained there were none. He asked why so many walked around pretending to be. I didn't have a good answer for him.

Edited by BlackSabbath

I had a new shooter friend attend a major match with me. He seemed awestruck at how many "pros" were there. I asked him, how many full-time shooters do you think are here? His answer: "At least 45, or 50...."

He seem dumbfounded when I explained there were none. He asked why so many walked around pretending to be. I didn't have a good answer for him.

Best post in this thread.

He seem dumbfounded when I explained there were none. He asked why so many walked around pretending to be. I didn't have a good answer for him.

So because they wearing a "team" shirt they are "pretending to be pros"? So somebody that wears a Metallic shirt is "pretending" to be in the band?

I wear a STI techwear shirt at majors. If I do well, they give me a frame. I'm not pretending to be a pro, but that shirt has paid for itself many times over.

I have to disagree... based on the irony, I would have to say your post is the best post of this thread.

I seem to recall on more than a few occasions seeing you wear said Techwear shirt with your name on it in your sponsors name/colors. And the last I heard you also are not receiving a full time check from said sponsor.

:blush:

Wow, this thread has gotten to be quite an interesting read!

I am sponsored by Freedom Gunworks. Why? For me, there were 2 primary reasons:

1. An opportunity to identify with and represent a shop that I really like, and that invests in our sport. Prior to joining the team, I got to know Bobby at FGW while getting some mags tuned. I was so impressed with his dedication and service to a new customer, that I knew right away I was going to give him my business again.
  2. An opportunity to be part of a TEAM. I always enjoyed the camaraderie of team sports in high school & college, so I was very interested in bringing that aspect into my new sport: Practical Shooting.

I think it's great that Practical Shooting has opportunities for non-pros to increase their stake in the sport they love! Depending on the sponsorship, there are varying levels of compensation/perks, as well as expectations and responsibilities. (And by reading through this thread, it's plain to see that sponsorship - i.e. an association with a company and/or a team - is not for everyone!) But for me, I'm very happy to be part of a shooting team representing a shop that I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone who asks about it.

Edited by Xfactor

I have to disagree... based on the irony, I would have to say your post is the best post of this thread.

I seem to recall on more than a few occasions seeing you wear said Techwear shirt with your name on it in your sponsors name/colors. And the last I heard you also are not receiving a full time check from said sponsor.

touché!

During the last year, I have worn it maybe 6 times. I always feel a bit goofy or self-concious wearing it, which is why I don't wear it more.

I stand by my previous comments that free shipping does not constitute sponsorship. Neither does having to purchase a range bag to qualify for product discounts.

Damn, my shirt makes me a professional! I get the questioning tho, to new eyes, it would seem that way. I wish you could have said something positive to your friend. I hate to think of going back to crappy cotton so as not to put off a newer member. I will tho, if forced, just cause I love this sport!!!!! :cheers:

From a pure sociological point of view, the sponsored-looking phenomenon is interesting.

It allows you to "belong" to something bigger than perhaps you capable of providing yourself. There's a sense of community, protection. That's cool.

touché!

During the last year, I have worn it maybe 6 times. I always feel a bit goofy or self-concious wearing it, which is why I don't wear it more.

I stand by my previous comments that free shipping does not constitute sponsorship. Neither does having to purchase a range bag to qualify for product discounts.

Why not? Would you have had to pay for shipping other wise? If so then your getting a better deal than with out the "sponsorship". Buying a range bag comment, hmmm wonder who your jabbing at there....:rolleyes:. I don't think it would be quite far to be sponsored by said, "range bag" company and be using another bag now do you?

He was dumbfounded when I explained there were none. He asked why so many walked around pretending to be. I didn't have a good answer for him.

From a guy with a race car with sponsor logos on a NON-PRO racecar as his avatar. :surprise:

TDean makes a good point as per usual.

In general terms, there seems to have been a HUGE increase in the number of people wearing shirts that are COVERED in corporate logos. Very noticeable increase in the past 2 years or so.

Part of this is because the TechWear people make some awesome looking shirts. No doubt.

But, from the human behavior perspective, it certainly does appear that many shooters are going out of their way to have that "look" of a sponsored or pro shooter.

There are lot of people (shooters and non-shooters) that try to cultivate a "look" or "image." Every field/industry has them; years ago dudes were carrying cellphones not because they were important but because they wanted to LOOK important. Ditto for those bluetooth things.

Lots of folks wear clothing to create an impression that they are something they are not.

Look at the internet in general, or this forum as an example. Some of the biggest toughguys on the internet are complete beta-males in real life.

If the shoe fits, wear it.

If you like to play dress up and look like Mr. Leatham or Mr. Koenig that's fine. Just don't try to legitimize your insecurity.

FY42385