Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't speed up

latech15

I am a "c" shooter, shooting open with a flat shooting gun. The gun will double tap with holes inside an inch. Perhaps I have read too much and am trying to hard but I can't give up a good sight picture for speed even when I try really hard. I regularly get beat by guys who aren't nearly as accurate, but are faster. They keep telling me "more alpha-charlies and less time". As opposed to the 2-alphas that I usually get. The open shooters that beat me typically are shooting the courses in 2/3's my time. Most of the time they are less accurate, but a slight few are doing it in that time with good hits.

I have been told many times to keep the accuracy, the speed will come, but I am impatient. I know from reviewing my videos that I need to move faster between shooting, but the shooting has got to speed up too. How do I do it?

in your paractice time, work on going fast. set up a smalle course and run it how ever you want. then record the time. then try to beat it by a second or two. then try to beat it by more. When you go to a match turn the speed back down a hair from practice and you will feel very comfortable b/c ur going slower, but bc you've been practicing going fast, hopefull the new slow will be faster than the old slow. make sense? :mellow:

I'm not an expert but perhaps I can help by telling you about my problem, which is opposite to yours. I shoot too fast between shots so my first shot is good and the second shot isn't. And while I do have a place to practice, I frequently don't have the time. So, my training largely consists of dry fire and airsoft (just lock the mag follower down and leave it empty and you can shoot the airsoft anywhere).

What I am trying to do is develop a better, more consistent, rhythm to my shooting - something I picked up from watching one of the Matt Burkett videos. It sounds like you might need to do the same thing but work on decreasing the split times rather than increasing them.

Assuming you can find a place to practice I would just shoot into the berm and forget the paper. Seems to me you are not used to shooting fast so break out a timer and shoot into the berm and see how fast you can get you splits. Then began to track the dot to train your eyes to see the dot bouncing quickly. After awhile you will be able to see the dot no matter how fast you are shooting so once you put a target back in front of you you will recognize the dot is on target faster and feel comfortable shooting faster.

If you have no where to practice improvement will take a longer time. So your live fire practice is basically matches?

I believe that most time is gained with 1. How you program a stage and 2. Transitions from target to target. (not splits on one target granted you can't have .50 splits on close targets but you can't have .18 splits on a 25yd or farther targets either at least I can't at this point :roflol: ) I have really been focusing on Target transitions and stage planning. You need to find some where you can practice!

I have to agree with bkeeler. my biggest time gains came with having a good stage plan and moving as quickly as possible from shooting position to shooting position. Part of my solution was tons of dry fire drills so that the draw and reload - especially reloads while moving - became quick and automatic. I videotape most all of my matches so I could visually see how I was moving from stage to stage.

I feel for you with the range situation. Luckily I have one in my backyard so live fire practice is only a couple dozen steps away.

I'd first like to say I know who this is and we are friends. With that said if u showed up to practice more and learn while you are there the speed will come. It will still take time. I've been shooting for ten years and while I am fast I'm not Blake miguez fast. And I've told you when it comes to big stages it is okay to sacrifice hits for speed. I'm definitely not the most accurate shooter out there but my speed makes up for it so I am usually at the top of the pack when the scores come out. Just remember everything takes time to be better.

Yeah, I just can't get away from you beaux. My attendance at practice is based around work. I just can't be there every week. Do do feel you though.

My practice is basically shooting two - three times a month at the indoor range running basic stages, reloading and studies practice at home, and two matches a month.

I know I need to practice the dryfireing more. I have been working a lot on the mental part of the game because in the past that has been a real problem. Soing stupid stuff during a stage. While that isn't completely cured, I am getting better.

Beaux you are my example that fast makes up for less accuracy. I was really shocked when I shot the Pro-am and saw the pros shoot. Thy don't hit every time even on big steel targets, they do make up their shots faster and transition much faster. They are also much faster between shooting positions.

Yeah I don't have the ideal situation as far a places and times to practice.

Stop doubletapping.

It takes too long to build one shot so perfect, it results in two A's.

It's much faster to shoot one shot that's good enough, then shoot another that's good enough.

just do the math in your head on how to get the best hit factor for a given stage. if your brain likes math, then you will know how fast you need to be.

Edited by Field

I can just barely do the math to get hit factor after the stage with paper and a calculator after the round. Much less in my head.

I just take the time of the guy I'm shooting with that is way better than me and try for that. Typically that is Beauxdog JR.

Stop doubletapping.

It's much faster to shoot one shot that's good enough, then shoot another that's good enough.

Yeah, I think that is what I'm asking how to do. How do you convince yourself to shoot "good enough". I try to shoot "good enough" but my mind won't let my finger pull the trigger til the dot is in the "A" zone.

Stop doubletapping.

Yeah, I think that is what I'm asking how to do. How do you convince yourself to shoot "good enough". I try to shoot "good enough" but my mind won't let my finger pull the trigger til the dot is in the "A" zone.

haha, you practice it :sight:

Wheter you think you can or you can't...your right! - Henry Ford

Positive attitude, no expectations and be an observer in the moment of shooting.

I don't care how flat your gun shoots, once you start moving past 10+ yards, double taps and having 2 hits on target are just lucky hits. Give the shot the attention it deserves, on close stuff pull the trigger as fast as you can and watch where the dot lifted on the target. If you can't call your shot or know where that bullet hit, keep shooting until you know you hit it without having to look at the target. I suspect that's where your slow shooting comes from. It takes longer to do a double tap and then look at the target to see if you have two hits. Know where that shot is going when the shot breaks.

I just don't buy the "speed will come" stuff. Nothing comes without pushing the envelope. You must push the envelope. You must get out of your comfort zone and get uncomfortable. You say yourself that you don't move all that fast from position to position, well start. I mean haul ass/get ants in the pants/light your tail on fire move. Shoot the same way, but make your movement a life and death race. This you can do. If you can't do it at home, then do it at every match until you have it down. Nothing comes to anyone (death and taxes excluded) without effort. Jake is right, if you don't do it.......find a soft wall.

ok guys, as if from the heavens, I got a call from a local Gunsmith, friend, who invited me to use his range anytime I get ready to practice. He said that if I would come practice at his range, maybe it would get him to practice more. I plan on taking him up on it and practicing every chance I get.

Fourtrax - I get it. you are exactly right. tail on fire, ants in the pants. I don't do that. I move slow even when trying to move fast. No one would ever look at the way I move and say "tail on fire".