Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot Gun for 3-Gun

GlennRasch

Kyle thanks for the reply. Which model and barrell length SLP did you purchase? I'm leaning towards the MK1 after doing a little research and price shopping last night after posting this. One store not-so-near-bye has one on sale for $983 out the door including tax and other fees. That's not so bad when compared to some of the other stores more local charing $100-200 more.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle thanks for the reply. Which model and barrell length SLP did you purchase? I'm leaning towards the MK1 after doing a little research and price shopping last night after posting this. One store not-so-near-bye has one on sale for $983 out the door including tax and other fees. That's not so bad when compared to some of the other stores more local charing $100-200 more.

Hamma Slamma -

CDNN out of Abilene, TX has the SLP Mk1 at approximately $850 and free shipping. (you have to call for the price) That is where I got mine and have been super pleased. Here is the link to their catalog. The SLP is on pg. 35.

Cheers,

Kyle

Edited by DocMcG

Then that brings me to another question. If I get serious and start shooting in matches that have real rules would this gun prevent me from shooting in production, since it's a little stepped up? Like I said, I am a novice. :) It seems like FN markets their Mark I as the preferred gun for compitition. I'm thinking a longer barrel is better, but thinking a shorter barrel may point easier. 22" seems perfect, right in the middle.

There is no production division for shotgun, only pistol. The Mark 1 version is the model you want, with the 22" barrel, cantilever and blade front. That shotgun fits in the Tactical division, you can use your "production" pistol with larger mags if it's not a USPSA match.

Kyle thanks much for the link, however after paying a $50 FFL transfer fee, it's almost a wash. Being in IL near communist Chicago, guns cost more. I might purchase the gun from there if I can find a local FFL to take care of the transfers. Most gun shops will not unless it's a collectible item since they usually all have the policy "if we can get it for you we don't want to do a transfer, just buy it from us."

Dan thanks for confirming the gun specs and rule info.

Edited by Hamma Slamma

Kyle thanks much for the link, however after paying a $50 FFL transfer fee, it's almost a wash. Being in IL near communist Chicago, guns cost more. I might purchase the gun from there if I can find a local FFL to take care of the transfers. Most gun shops will not unless it's a collectible item since they usually all have the policy "if we can get it for you we don't want to do a transfer, just buy it from us."

You betcha! Also, forgot to mention that they work very well with offering dealer prices to FFL's. I must continually remind myself how lucky I am to have a good friend as my FFL! He follows the rules to a "T" but takes good care of me too! :P

Good luck with it!

Kyle

Hamma Slamma -

CDNN out of Abilene, TX has the SLP Mk1 at approximately $850 and free shipping. (you have to call for the price) That is where I got mine and have been super pleased. Here is the link to their catalog. The SLP is on pg. 35.

Cheers,

Kyle

I did exactly the same about 3 or 4 weeks ago.....super pleased here also. CDNN always good to do business with. Have just added the Nordic charging handle and will probably do something about the 'thumb mulcher' prongs at some point, but have already shot my first match with it and all is great so far.

Well, only if you call $83 a wash...I wouldn't! ($983 locally otd vs $900 all in, shipped/transferred). That $83 will get you a good 400 rounds of 7.5 shot from Dicks or Walmart! :)

Edit to add - you might check Gunbroker for nearby FFL holders....they have a section on there where you can search by zipcode. I use a local pawn shop, not too bad at $30 plus its literally 2 mins drive. You may have similar good luck....unlike gunshops doing a transfer, with pawn shops they are not in direct competition and usually welcome the business.

Edited by DanielW

I removed a handful of posts. There was some back and forth about a dealer. Which is the very reason we don't allow things that fall under the umbrella of "customer service issues" here. We don't want the popularity of Brian's Forum to be used to air grievances. And, the back and forth that usually goes with it.

The forum is here for us to talk about and improving our shooting.

Thanks,

Kyle F.

Forum Administrator

FWIW if there are any moderators reading this thread, I subscribed to be notified of replies but I have received no such notification. I just thought I'd pass that along.

Any time you encounter an issue like that, look to start a thread on it in the Report Bug/Feedback Forum. Also, check prior threads in that forum to see if it is already being discussed. Brian will see it there and be able to address it. (he handles issues like that)

Thanks Flex. Really all you new guys-there is no magic involved-you have to go out and shoot 3 Gun Matches. Yes, you will suck at first. Ask me how I know. But it is the only way to learn these issues about shotguns and why people like certain ones. There is plenty of time and plenty of guns to look at at 3Gun Match. In my squad at the PanAm Shotgun match there were nothing but Benelli's. Benny and anyone else are making race guns-to run a lot of rounds through their shotgun in the 3Gun style. And they know what they are doing. We all probably have different guns for ducks and skeet. I know I can and any of the good top 3 Gunners could go in to a local store, get a shotgun to shoot at a match tomorrow, and it will work-for that match. It is when you start running thousands of rounds weekly in your learning curve or having a gun fall apart at a match that you get the need for having a "tuned" or "reliable" 3Gun shotgun. So, sign up for these matches that are undersubscribed and get shooting. Especially if you have been shooting IPSC pistol matches and have good gun control. Someone will help you and tell you exactly what you need to do-in your squad. Tell the RO and they will help you as well-up to a point. It is great fun and a pleasure to shoot 3 Gun Matches-the people, the locations, but especially the shooting is exemplary. DVC

• 2 weeks later...

I agree AJG, lack of how your gun works definitely seems to be a trait that solely belongs to Benelli owners. i've seen the actual photos and video of those people stumbling thru immediate action drills.

Trapr

The fact that Benelli owners so often seem to be unfamiliar with immediate action drills might be testament to the high reliability of their guns.

I say this because my Benelli was a jam-o-matic after the shell lifter was welded. I got tons and tons of practice clearing malfs and am quite good at it now. Of course, I did finally figure out how to fix the jams, and now it runs like a top.

Still, to the OP: get an FN SLP Mk 1. These are some good reasons:

1) The FN comes ready to go right out of the box, for around $800-$900. My Benelli weighs in at around $1400 with all the upgrades needed to make it ready for 3-gun.

2) The FN's built-in sighting system is awesome, and it is a huge competitive advantage to be able to shoot slugs POA=POI.

3) Controls are easier on the FN.

4) The FN is a bit more reliable at cycling than the somewhat finicky inertia system of the Benellis.

5) You can actually reach FN's tech support on the phone!

6) Benellis have to contend with 922r compliance.

As much as I love my Benelli M2, I am wishing I bought an FN SLP Mk 1 because of the barrel problem I'm having right now and because the SLP's sighting system is so freaking awesome...

Edited by dchang0

I'm hearing that there is often a 9 round limit imposed in 3gun matches, so does it matter how long a barrel and magtube your gun has then if you can't put more than 9 rounds in it, say 8+1, or 7+1+1 with ghost loading?

I'm not a 3gunner mind you so what I say is only hearsay.

Would have been nice to have any light shed on this.

The limit varies with matches. Some say you cannot start with more than 9 in the gun (8 + 1 in the chamber). Others say the mag tube cannot hold more than 8 (the ability to put more than 8 in the tube is a DQ). Some say start with 8+1, but you can add more after the timer starts. So, know the rules for your match. One ruleset said max barrel length for the division was 22" and the mag tube could stick out 1" past the barrel, which translates into 9 rounds in the tube for an 1100. Not sure anybody uses that rule now.

I like the ability to put more than 8 in the tube even for 8+1 matches, because I am not loading the spring to max compression. Also, some of the 8+1 matches allow the shooter to walk up to the line with 9 in the tube/empty chamber, then rack it after "Make Ready", so it is not necessary to carry an extra round to top off the tube.

Lee

Cultish Benny Benelli user. I shoot my 21" M2 in the local trap league to keep familiar with it and have hit 24 of 25 with it from the 16 yard line. I piss off the other trap shooters by loading different ways, to try things and get used to messing with the controls. Having that interchangeable spacer between the receiver and stock let me get the drop and cast to almost precisely match the dimensions of a gun I had fitted by a professional stockmaker. I did have to shorten the stock because I make Daniel look like a giant. Yeah, it kicks a bit with no gas system, but it goes bang everytime. I'm still horribly slow on the trigger but it's nice to know that if I ever get better the gun is more than ready.

I have a question about ghost ring sights. the guns that come with them, like the Benelli M2 Practical, would it work as well as a bead if you removed the rear sight? Or would the relative height of the front sight be an issue?

Edited by Rynnäkökivääri 62

I have a question about ghost ring sights. the guns that come with them, like the Benelli M2 Practical (or M4...), would it work as well as a bead if you removed the rear sight? Or would the relative height of the front sight be an issue? I was just thinking if a lot of the issue with ghost rings sight had a simple solution, like a rear sight that could flip down.

I don't think so. The shotguns that come with ghost ring sights are not the best shotguns for birdshot. They are meant for shooting slugs, buckshot, and non-lethal bean bags or whatever. If you are setting up a shotgun for 3 Gun, it really needs to be set for shooting steel and clays, where you are looking at the target, not the sight. The trend toward fiberoptic beads on most shotguns reflects the ease of catching it out of your periphery and then making minor adjustment in your mount to get a hit. For slugs, the reason that so called rifle sights are put on is that the barrels are not straight and there is a need to adjust the point of aim for slugs. The front sight of a ghost ring is really high. I suppose you could do it, but seems a waste of energy.

I was mostly wondering if it was the height that prevented it from being a workable solution, I have never tried it, but it seems like even a fiber bead that high up might be problematic. Still I understand some elevation is needed for the front bead though, if you want some flip up sight to use for slugs later.

On my SLP from time to time the rear sight got flipped down (fixed that now, thanks JB Weld), and the fiber on my front is pretty high (1/4" above stock).

When it happened I had trouble hitting, but then again, I never practiced with it down, so I don't know if there would be a remedy for that or not.

my .02

FWIW, there are a few people using ghost rings on their shotguns, and they seem to like them. they are very precise for slugs, but may cause some problems on moving targets until you get used to them. To remove the rear sight of a ghost setup would leave you "out in space" because the ghost setup is rather high above the barrel.

Most shooters with ribbed barrels with a muzzle bead and/or mid bead still add a rear notch sight for slug shooting, some are flip up, some are fixed. are they faster than ghost rings? maybe, depends on the one holding the shotgun.

Bottom line is; getting used to whatever you have is more important. In the upper reaches of practical shotgun shooting (top 5%) using a ghost ring setup may be a bit slower than a ribbed barrel with bead and rear notch. if you can get a great deal on a ghost ring shotgun, probably would not hurt to get it and get to shooting. the worse you can run into is deciding a year or so down the road that the ghost ring isn't for you and you can spend another $400 for a ribbed barrel...

jj

I was mostly wondering if it was the height that prevented it from being a workable solution, I have never tried it, but it seems like even a fiber bead that high up might be problematic. Still I understand some elevation is needed for the front bead though, if you want some flip up sight to use for slugs later.

Actually, the front sights on ribbed shotguns are right on top of the rib. Most ghost ring guns do not have ribbed barrels. So the front sight is way up-it doesn't matter if it is fiber optic or not when it's that high.

I sold my Benelli M4. I loved it but I had to concede it was not optimal for three gun. I used the money to purchase a New Noveske Rouge hunter with an 18 inch stainless barrel. I plan on shooting open most of the time with my Saiga. For limited class I fixed up this 870 to use until I can afford a M2 from Bennie Hill or something comparable. (I know why did I get a rifle with the money from the shotgun my rifle was not ideal for the game either being a 14.5 inch chrome lined gun. so now I am set up ok for open and reasonably well for tactical and limited).

Here is the franken 870.

870threegunshotgun.jpg

870.jpg