Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a new trigger

Corey

So, after putting a gauge on my stock trigger and seeing a lil over 7 lbs :surprise:, its time for a new trigger set up. As of now, im debating on either a Geissele SSA or a JP (http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=37968/Product/JP_Enterprises_AR_15_Adjustable_Triggers) with speed hammer.

Anybody play around with either of these? I'm not completely sold on either a 1 stage or 2 stage setup yet. Got to play with a few last week and it seemed like i could pull through a 2 stage pretty quickly on close hoser targets and i do like their precision on longer range stuff, but i havent owned a 2 stage trigger before so it'd be a new thing for me to get used to.

What say the experts?

The assortment of AR triggers in the safe consist of Armalite 2 stage in the Highpower guns, 2 Timney modular units, and a couple modified stock versions that break at 2 3/4 pounds. For action shooting I prefer a single stage trigger. I've installed Giselle 2 stage and JP's for a single stage for friends. I like the JP set up, and will probably change one of the reworked units simply because of the ability to reduce the overtravel. Get the Fire Control version with the hammer, rather than the trigger and springs only.

Edited by Dan Sierpina

I have JP fire control units (trigger, springs and speed hammer) in both of my AR's and am extremely pleased with them. My gunsmith set them to break a little shy of 3lbs and the reset is miniscule. A good friend has a Chip McCormick drop in assembly in his AR that is also very nice to shoot especially for long range work. I don't think between JP, McCormick, or Geissele you are going to find a "bad trigger". You however might find one that best suits your budget and gunsmithing abilities. JP also now has a drop in unit as well:

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_ezt.php

Hope that helps. :cheers:

It really comes down to what you want....a single stage or a two stage. Its real hard to beat the JP in a single stage. The best two stage is the Guyzlee(phonetic spelling)DMR Hi Speed. I have both and have had several others.I prefer the Guyzlee for a two stage. It is flat awesome. I like the JP for a single stage. And I also like the ARGold which is not a single stage and not a two stage. Its more like a fine 1911 trigger.

Go to JP's website....watch his video....then decide.....that is if you want a single stage trigger. If you want a 2 stage....I have no opinion on one, never used them for 3 gun.

Tim

Corey,

I am no expert at this. Curently, I am running a Rock River 2 stage in my rifle. This is a multi use rifle that sees more bench and 300 yd work than "normal" 3 gun. I have not been handicapped by the trigger. It was a drop in for my rifle and has worked flawlessly since.

I have both a JP and several RRA 2 stage triggers. I prefer the RRA, but some of that is because most of my trigger time before I got into 3 gun was shooting M1 and M1A rifles and still shoot the M1A in HM most matches. I don't notice the long trigger pull on close targets, and on long range targets (when I don't hit on my first shot) only reset to the second stage, so the pull is no longer than a single stage.

I think for our sport there are advantages to single stage due to the shorter travel and lighter pull. If you don't have any serious trigger time w/ 2 stage triggers already, I would recommend you go with the JP.

JP trigger is hard to beat for a reasonably priced single stage. The speed hammer is easy to make out of a standard hammer or get theirs.

Geissele is the best 2 stage triger if thats what you prefer. (I do not)

ARgold is a nice trigger also. like others have said it feels like a 1911 triger.

The gun I use the most has the ARGold and my other rifles have JP triggers.

I have the JP on most of my ARs and also had the Geissele SSA on one which I already sold. Also have the 2-stage LMT on a couple. I started shooting ARs with the JP and gotten used to it, tried a 2-stage once in a match and that was the first and last time. I do like them for self-defense or should I say Tactical type of shooting and long range as well. Nothing wrong using them for close range I was just not used to the longer pull when hosing a close array.

Have had the JP, springfield,and the Jard. For the money, I just wasn't Impressed with the JP trigger. The springfield trigger work, I had the 50 buck job with the speed hammer and the light springs. That is on my SBR and I love it especially for the price. Crisp and feels much nicer than it did before the work. I rate it pretty much even with the JP I have. I have a 2pound jard in my competition gun and love it. Very crisp, short reset and smooth.

If you don't want to spend the money, consider this home trigger job:

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

On top of that, get two pieces of emery paper (600 & 1500 grit) and a completely flat, hard surface(marble counter top) and smooth the machined part of the trigger where it engages the hammer. Turn it into a mirror. Don't touch the hammer engagement surface though, although you can cut the spur off it if you want it to be lighter.

Be careful, do the proper safety checks for doubling and load only one round in a mag for a bunch of shots and make sure the hammer doesn't fall after you shoot.

This will make your trigger much more bearable and it doesn't cost more then a few bucks and about 20 minutes of your time, although the geissele is fantastic.

I've done this a few times and it has worked great.

Be careful though, don't make the engagement negative (make sure the hammer still moves back slightly while pulling the trigger before it drops). This shouldn't be a problem if you don't sit there sanding the surface for an hour with the 600 grit paper.

Edited by entropic

I've been using a Geissele hi speed for over 4 years and never had a problem with it. They now sell it with different springs so you could adjust it to how you like. I don't have any problems with close or far targets. I've tried RRA, LMT and Knights Amrament 2 stage triggers and Geissele is the best with the KA a very close second. I like the fact that is uses a full strength hammer spring. Single stage triggers require the use of reduce power hammer springs to lighten the pull. The only negative is the price and the location of the J-hook in the hammer is not in the standard location so you have to use the pins that come with the kit.

Ive used the JP and the ARgold. I prefer the JP, but on hoser stages they both feel pretty fast. For me, single stage is the way to go for this type of shooting. I use 2 stage on all my varmint/LR guns.

Go to JP's website....watch his video....then decide.....that is if you want a single stage trigger. If you want a 2 stage....I have no opinion on one, never used them for 3 gun.

Tim

I saw the vid on the single stage. He says the AR wasn't designed for the module type drop ins, but doesn't articulate why. They seem like the perfect solution to me.

How necessary is the speed hammer on the JP trigger. I know it will work without it, is it worth the extra $? Isn't it for a faster trigger reset?

The speed hammer is to reduce lock time, ie, how long it takes from the pull of the trigger to the firing of the cartridge. The lighter hammer falls faster.