Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sphinx Arms pistols in the USA?

After reading the article in Front Sight and checking out SphinxArms.com I'm kind of intrigued and would like to investigate further. They show a distributer in Canada but their website doesn't list any Sphinx pistols. Anyone know of any distribution channels in the US? Anyone have one of these babies that could give a first hand on it?

Thanks!

Sabre Defence was importing them last year in the US, but last I heard they weren't dealing with them anymore. Supposedly Sphinx is looking for US importers.

I seen one of the fullsize older models in a gun shop once and fondled it. Reminded me of a CZ with sharp corners everywhere and an action/trigger that was between stock CZ, and full race-prepped. Cool gun, just very expensive.

I'd start by looking for a nice loan officer....

Ok so they are not bad when compared to a custom 2011 but I definitely don't think you get what you pay for. I talked to the guys from Sabre a couple years ago and got to fondle a couple pistols. They are beautiful guns. Fit and finish was great. But for almost 1/3 the price I have a nice Tanfo Limited and can gets parts. I'm not sure if Tanfo parts will fit a Sphinx, you might give Henning a call about that. I'd love to have one but I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money when the are a lot better deals out there. If money is not a worry, I'd keep an eye on gunbroker and things like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked one up and I said "Hey this is a REALLY nice CZ75" and then they sabre rep told me the MSRP and I said "Hey thanks, see you later".

Everyone says that but no one seems to ever say what the MSRP is. Got a ballpark for those of us that are curious? I'm assuming you are meaning the 3000 Production competition model or some other model?

there are a couple on gun broker now and they are not cheep and they are all the older 200o models not the new 3000's shown in front sight. including a cool looking open set up in 9x21 with ammo that I have seen listed on there for a couple of years now.

The 3000 Competition Production will probably MAP for about $2800.

The 3000 Comp Standard about $3100, the Comp Open about $3900. If Sphinx does get their Distributor deal sorted out, these prices might go down a tad bit if whoever they are can import in larger qty.

Hope this helps guys.

Helmie Ashiblie

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

KRISS is the new importer.

If they ever are under $2k, I would consider one...IF parts and service were available!

I would hope that tanfo or CZ parts would fit in a pinch.

At only 2x the cost of a Elite Tanfo, the masses might get interested.

I fondled a Sphinx 3000 Production at SHOT show recently. Fit and finish was great, the safeties had a better height and profile than the CZ Shadow safeties that I always seem to bump, and the trigger felt different. In DA mode it felt sort of "front loaded," where it was heavier up front, then quickly lightened as you pulled through. In SA mode it was very light with a lot less pre-travel than the CZ.

According to the Sphinx rep, Angus Hobdell told him in confidence (then why was the rep telling me? Way to keep a secret, buddy) that he wishes he could shoot a Sphinx instead of the CZ. I then asked about the American MSRP, and I was told it's going to come down in a few years as they sell more in the US and realize economies of scale here. "Ok, but what's the initial price?" I said. The answer was $2,900. Holy. Crap. I'm with Angus - I wish I could shoot one of these things too. At a nearly $3,000 price point, a lot of people are going to be wishing they could shoot one, but very few will be buying. I think the only reason to stock a Sphinx, from a dealer's perspective, is to sell more CZ's. I can just see how a gun store conversation might go:

"This is the Sphinx 3000. It's called the "3000" because it costs $3,000. It's based on the popular CZ family of handguns."

"Wow, the CZ must be millions of dollars if copies are selling for $3,000."

"Nope, I have some CZ's right over here. They're basically the same, but only $1,000."

"I'll take two CZ's, please."

To further put things into perspective on the price issue:

A fully tuned ready-to-rock CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow from Angus and the rest of the crew at CZ Custom will run you $1200 shipped to your FFL. Less than half the cost of a stock Sphinx.

I'm sure that they are great pistols, but they've sort of priced themselves out of the market, at least for Production guns. It's likely something of a vicious circle, though - they are so high priced that demand is minimal, but demand is so low they can't sustain production, so they end up charging more...

Part of the problem is that pretty much everything in Switzerland is expensive. As a student I nearly starved to death in Zurich a couple of years ago because I refused, on principle, to spend $100 for a cut rate meal. I wandered for over an hour before I found a McDonalds, and I thought my prayers were answered. A value meal at McDonalds was $20 American. I wouldn't pay that either. I finally found a vegetarian place that charged by the kilo, and I loaded a plate full of lettuce and called it a night.

Paying $3000 for a Swiss CZ is basically paying an extra $2000 so some guy who lives in Switzerland can eat $20 McDonalds value meals, and I'm not paying it.

• 1 year later...

There is no stock Sphinx, because all guns are precisely hand fitted and tuned right from the factory, it's basically a custom shop and not a factory. Here you can look at some options they offer on their guns: http://www.sphinx-systems.ch/files/pdf/sphinx_comp_low.pdf

Fitting and finish is superb and at least on the level with any custom gun for 3000$.

I'll post some photos of fitting and finish here ASAP.

Looks like a 6-12 month wait via KRISS.

I love the comments that compare the Sphinx to a CZ and state they are just overpriced. Price aside....have you ever really handled one and looked at the craftmanship, or simply repeating what you have read or heard? :rolleyes:

Shot some of these in Vegas, and while they are sweet guns, they certainly aren't worth the price tag IMO. I'd much rather go to the CZ Custom Shop before dropping the coin on a Sphinx.