Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ISMI 13lb recoil spring range report (G34)

G34 CORDY

hello everyone, just wanted to tell you all about my ISMI 13lb recoil spring and captured steel guide rod. first off i tried the wolff 14lb spring with there metal uncaptured guide rod and did not like it to much so i ordered a ISMI 13lb spring with a captured guide rod and loved it. i really didnt think it would make much of a difference but it really did, my buddy shot it also and said he like it alot better than the wolff and factory setup. it shoots alot flatter and to me the recoil has a better feel to it. we where shooting at a steel rack and my shots where alot faster to get back on target. iam very happy with this spring and guide rod setup, i tried the wolff setup but i just didnt like it and i was worried about not liking the ISMI but its was great. i cant wait till my next uspsa match to really give it a workout. i was using atlanta arms 147 grain 9mm out of my G34. pf is around 130ish.

I have tried both the ISMI 11 lb and the 13 lb springs and have come to the conclusion that the 13 lb works much better for my grip. It really all comes down to personal preference, I have met several Glock shooters for which the 14 lb Wolf spring offers the perfect balance of perceived recoil and good timing.

I would suggest to anyone looking to change springs to try a diversity of of them and find out what works best for them.

The 13# ISMI was always my choice for either a G34 or G17 with either the Atlanta Arms or my 147gr loads, too. A very common setup that has served many of us well over the years.

:cheers:

Curtis

what did you feel was the difference between the 11LB and 13LB springs? yeah its all personal preference. just try them thats the only way to tell what you like. for me it has been the 13lb ismi but i would like to try the 11LB spring also.

what did you feel was the difference between the 11LB and 13LB springs? yeah its all personal preference. just try them thats the only way to tell what you like. for me it has been the 13lb ismi but i would like to try the 11LB spring also.

I just use the 11-lbs, so that I don't have to deal with clipping coils off the 13-lbs. Of course you don't have to clip any coils off the 13-lbs if it works for you already.

My experience with the 11# is that it is too light for the gun to function properly. If a bullet had a slight bulge there wasn't enough power to go all the way into battery. Also, the slide would come back slightly when pulling the trigger because the spring was so light. YMMV

i have a reduced power striker spring so would it still come out of battery? iam happy with the 13lb spring iam just curious about the 11LB spring. i dont want to buy one just to try it. thanks for the info.

iam a ISMI spring fan as of right now. my G34 shoots alot flatter now. different people have different likes and i just seem to like the ISMI 13LB spring. and i love the captured spring setup, its alot easier to put in and out for cleaning.

bumped up to the ISMI 15 after having some irregularities with the 13. Find I like it better for my 34 running 147 grain at 139PF. Used to be solely Wolff, but found they were going away too quickly on me.

With the 11 lb spring the felt recoil is slightly less than with the 13 lb but it wasn't bringing the gun back to target. With the lighter spring the muzzle of the gun would stay slightly high and I had to reacquire the sights for every subsequent shot. With the 13 lb my sights come right back to the target.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know each gun is a little different, and I need to test my gun to see if it works, but...How important is it to run a reduced power striker spring along with a 13# spring? Can I get by with the factory one with a 13# recoil spring, or am I likely to run into problems pulling the gun out of battery?

I shoot 147's and 124's on the 13# ISMI spring. I have tried every ISMI spring out there 11, 13, 15, 17, 20, 22, stock.

I like the 13 the best. 11 was super snappy on recoil and didn't have enough power to operate the gun reliably when it was dirty.

G24 Cordy, for your question of how do your know your spring is getting weak??? the test to point the muzzle skyward(UNLOADED PLEASE) pull back the slide 1/4 to 1/2 an inch out of battery and let it go back into battery, if it doesnt the spring is getting weak, tho i dont know how valid this test is now everyone is dropping in lighter an lighter springs, but that was shown to us in the armorer's course way back when on standard springs

Hello: I tried the ISMI 11lb recoil spring today and thought it was a little slow to return to battery for me. It is installed on a ISMI guide rod. I usually use the 13lb ISMI recoil spring on their guide rod. I will try both back to back with some tests to see what is actually working better for me. I will use my 147 and 121 grain loads. Thanks, Eric

Very true but Iam not in it for every mili second and the 11 lb feels better to (me) and have been doing good with it and as long as the gun feels good my confidence is up and Iam having fun. The timer could also tell me that the 11 lb spring is faster because my slide is moving faster and flatter :sight: Shoot what you like I know what I like.

Edited by G34 CORDY