Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Attention glock shooters

L-10_shooter

I am at my hotel room in Idaho for Area 1 next weekend. Last weekend At a club match I had 5 light strikes and it has me concerned. The first 3 light strikes were with a wolff lightened striker spring. I changed the spring out with a factory power striker spring then had 2 more light strikes. Yesterday at the live fire portion of the Level 1 RO class yesterday I noticed something about my primer hits. The hit seems to be off centered in the "box" (from the glock breech face). I looked at the primer hits of several other glock .40 shooters in the class and they were all centered. Attached is a pic that shows what I mean.

So my question is what is causing the striker to go sideways a tiny bit? I would like to try a different striker, if anyone is arriving for Area 1 before thursday or lives close to Idaho falls. Cant think of anything else it could be, bleech face show no signs of a crack. This is in a Gen 3 Glock 35 with 20K rounds through it. Any thoughts or anything will be of help, I dont want any light strikes during my match.

post-16694-127712800475_thumb.jpg

Not normal looking. Make sure their is no carbon build up at the end of the channel, behind the breech face. Like Bill said, remove and inspect the striker itself, it could be deformed.

Is it possible that the gun is not going all the way into battery? Do you case gage your ammo? What pound recoil spring are you using?

When my M&P did this somebody said the same thing. They were right. I had a light recoil spring combined with some slightly oversized ammo and it was not locking up tight and either misfiring or doing the same as yours, hitting off center.

I'm with g34 and Sarge. I'd change to a fresh recoil spring. Before you do, you can, during dry fire, watch and feel the barrel and barrel hood to see if it moves just a little bit when you pull the trigger. If so, you can be firing just slightly out of battery.

:cheers:

Curtis

Another thing that can cause off center primer hits is if you installed the slide lock improperly (the groove goes up and toward the shooter). Check to make sure it's not backward. That will definitely screw up your lock-up.

If you already put in a new spring or two, I would also check for gunk in the firing pin channel, a damaged channel liner sleeve, or damaged striker. Check to ensure it is going fully in to battery. Make sure it's empty, point it up to the ceiling, pull the trigger. Hold it to the rear and rack the slide letting it go slowly to see if it closes fully on it's own or nearly so anyway. You might have to release the trigger a tad to get it to fully lock up, which is acceptable (to me).

Edited by dsmw5142

fat rounds??? case guage or barrel drop all of them??? high primers(at the very least flush) with 20k on the gun, likethe others have said, i would start looking at some crap in the tunnel, or a cracked or broken FP sleeve or even the FP cups might be dinged in some way

Wow thanks for the fast replys guys. Just got "home" from the range setting up for AREA 1.

First thing, I know the striker channel is clean, I detail strip the gun when I clean it every 200ish rounds. I am using a lone wolf .40 barrel, I use a Lee factory crimp die that acts as a case gauge so I know my ammo is in spec.

Next I took the gun apart and looked at the striker and I see some wear, scratches on the tip of the striker. I also did the recoil spring test and my recoil spring (15 lb wolf) will not lock up every time.

So Tommorrow I am borrowing a striker out of another gun (thank you MR Egan) and I have put a different recoil spring in that locks up the barrel every time.

I will respond with my results when I get back to my hotel tommorrow.