Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16 or 20?

fastarget

I have a choice a a wilson stainless barrels upper in 16 or 20, .750 barrels that are not yet threaded for a compensator(from my brother), no 18S available.

In a previous thread we discussed internals and they have been ordered. I was thinking 20 at first but several of the local rifle matches participants think with a compensator it is going to stick out there far and be nose heavy, slow to point, Another few shooters claim it is no big deal and that they are more accurate. .....Now he has a 16 as well I can have either. What would you use, pros and cons and what would you recommend for me...(no I can't have both :devil: )

I have a choice a a wilson stainless barrels upper in 16 or 20, .750 barrels that are not yet threaded for a compensator(from my brother), no 18S available.

In a previous thread we discussed internals and they have been ordered. I was thinking 20 at first but several of the local rifle matches participants think with a compensator it is going to stick out there far and be nose heavy, slow to point, Another few shooters claim it is no big deal and that they are more accurate. .....Now he has a 16 as well I can have either. What would you use, pros and cons and what would you recommend for me...(no I can't have both :devil: )

If you are going to have it threaded, have it cut to your desired length at the same time.

Any machinist worthy of a threading operation can surely cut and crown.

If you must pick one as is, then the 20" would get my nod.

Slow, I ain't even with 10.5# of M1A with 22" of barrel.

Bottom line is what handles best for YOU.

Patrick

The 4150 barrels are better than the Stainless, they hold their accuracy longer. If you can get it with mid length or rifle length gas even better. I prefer the 16", most COF are short range and I have not seen a lot of difference in the longer barrels as far as accuracy. Light weight fast handling.

Great info, thank you.

My only real experience is with a sig 556 swat patrol, I like the way it handles and how fast it points,

At one match I went to observe, looks at what competitors are using etc, I did handle a 20" M&P custom shop, it was for sure nose heavy and swinging it was not an issue, but it seems when you got it going it was harder to stop at the next target, Not real bad, more noticeable if carried all day I guess.

Yes, i have been told that withing 300 yds the 16 is not giving up much accuracy wise, and properly set up the extra nose weight of the 20 is not an advantage to lessen muzzle flip.

I wished it was a 4150, it is stainless and it is free, so I am happy to have it.....

so far 3 for 16 and one vote for 20...

You didn't say what length gas system the 16" is set up for. If its carbine then that's probably not the best choice.

I'd go with the 20 and have it cut to 18 when you have it threaded. An 18" with a rifle length gas system make for a nice smooth shooting gun.

I'd say go with the 20". I have a 20" and a 16" mid length lightweight and feel that the 20" is a nicer rifle to shoot. The 20" is also turned down to gvmt weight, which helps in handling. If you are worried about a comp being too big go with the little Nordic. It really is effective and adds very little to the barrel.

You didn't say what length gas system the 16" is set up for. If its carbine then that's probably not the best choice.

I'd go with the 20 and have it cut to 18 when you have it threaded. An 18" with a rifle length gas system make for a nice smooth shooting gun.

not sure what lenght gas system, but I will assume it is the standard carbine.

When it is cut to 18 and threaded, will any good machinist know or does it need the crown redone?

Well almost all the top 3-gunners use a 20" barrel. A 20" barrel turned .750 is my very favorite. I have never felt that that was too long and I run Rolling Thunder Comp.

7 votes for 20......3 for 16.....Great, well sounds like the 20 at least could allow me a little customization and a better gas system, if it feels too heavy I can have it cut and rethreaded. I appreciate all the input since I have very little experience.

Depends what your going to use it for but I run a 20", iron or scoped.

20 will give about 100fps more velocity, about 25ft per inch. At matches with Larues and such past 300yds this is an advantage. However at shorter matches, inside 300yds and with a lot of hoser stages, a 16 will be "slightly" more maneuverable, Superstition comes to mind. 18 is just half ass for when you cant make up your mind on what color shoes go best with your dress.. :goof:

Edited by el pres

Depends what your going to use it for but I run a 20", iron or scoped.

20 will give about 100fps more velocity, about 25ft per inch. At matches with Larues and such past 300yds this is an advantage. However at shorter matches, inside 300yds and with a lot of hoser stages, a 16 will be "slightly" more maneuverable, Superstition comes to mind. 18 is just half ass for when you cant make up your mind on what color shoes go best with your dress.. :goof:

I am thinking 20, and I could always use the sig patrol for the short ones, we have some 5-100 yds at one club, and up to 300 at another, not much more than that.

Interesting info, how much more approx does a barrel weight per in? for curiosity, I know with a comp there is a lever arm swinging as well.

For what it's worth, my vote goes to the 20" also. I have both & haven't fired more than a dozen rounds out of the 16" since I got the 20". I like the pulse from the 20 plus it has an F1 comp on it. The gun is flatter than flat when you shoot it.

MLM

20" if you're not gonna cut it, and if you are then 18". (I've got 18" for both my tac opt and open rifles, and 20" on my irons gun) Never felt I was giving up anything in a close course.

Remember one very important thing: It's not the arrow, its the indian.