Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The shooting BELLY

It is called ORMM

Organic Recoil Mitigation Material.

That is AWESOME. This whole time I was calling it a Weapon Retention System since I usually carry AIWB.

I have a flat stomach all my life until a year or so ago and no, it does not help with recoil control but it does slow me down a little.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at the top trap shooters and you will see a trend. My trapshooting friend wanted to lose weight before the season started. I told him he was going in the wrong direction, and that triple-A was only 150 pounds away.

Edited by JD45

Interesting topic.

I'm returning to the game after 10+ years and in that time I have gained about 40 lbs. I definitely have a belly now (had to get a new belt just to start :lol: ) so it will be interesting to see what adjustment(s) I will have to make to return to the same level of performance. I expect that I will have lost a step in pure explosive movement i.e. the initial push off from one position to another but that may not be 100% attributable to the belly as I've also had a torn achilles tendon.

One factor on my side: in the time that has passed, major PF has dropped from 175 to 165.

One thing I did notice during a dry fire practice: because of the belly, there is less clearance between said belly and my magazines.

So as part of my return, I'm also taking steps to improve my general fitness which means altering my diet and including more vigorous (and regular) exercise. Since deciding to return, I've lost 10-12 lbs in about two months just making those two changes. Clothes fit better (some pants are actually on the verge of too loose) and I may have bought a brand new belt that is a size too large. If I lose all 40 lbs, I may have a belt to sell :D and that would be a good problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My opinion is that this discussion crosses two rather different topics...one topic is about being heavy and/or overweight, and the other is about relaxation of muscle groups. That's how I see it, anyway.

In my case, I judge myself as being about 20 lbs overweight, others might say 30. Most of that is around the middle..legs and arms are in good shape. So...when I'm shooting stationary, relaxed and focused on the sights...that belly tends to really pop. The abs are relaxed completely because I've not adopted any sort of 'combat' posture, am not going up against recoil and have not adopted any stance 'against' the machine. If I took the 25 lbs of fat off my midsection, I'll still look like I was 7 months up with a food baby because I have poorly developed abs. I shoot accurately with the food baby...but that's not what happens at a match. I lose matches because, largely, I'm in some bizarre state of panic. Another story.

But, there's no way I can get any sense out of how added extra mass helps with recoil 'control' for the average person who holds that added mass in the average place. If the added mass were somewhere at my shoulders...maybe. It isn't. The only thing that's centered at my shoulders is almost constant pain, very minor as it is for now.

I'm not convinced recoil 'control' is the right thinking needed, anyway. If I could get that gun to discharge the instant the sights were right and not several seconds later after thought was involved, recoil would become immaterial. This has started to happen regularly during practice, and at least for me it's demonstrated vividly that there's a 'feel' involved over any 'thinking' and that wins.

Transitioning from 'one thing at a time' to 'fluid' (awareness of next target but not any disturbance caused by it) isn't going to happen anytime soon for me. Being overweight isn't hardly a factor. Brain is the problem.

The term 'explosive' as applied to motion of the body sure doesn't leave a positive feel for me. But maybe this is a perspective unique to the USPSA competitive player. It just doesn't convey a feeling I'm attracted to in this context.

Edited by Bongo Boy

Pretty sure recoil control has more to do with experience and less to do with how much weight you are packing. The other aspect of the game, movement, does have to do with how much weight you are packing and how fast you move. I am a pretty physically fit and flexible guy and I will smoke less physically fit shooters on certain courses for that fact alone. On many other courses, it comes down to shooter skill (and I am not as skilled as others.) If I can lose seconds of time by keeping in shape, why not? B)

Not to mention healthier people are more likely to live longer and shoot more. :cheers:

I will say there is a safety aspect of being overweight. A few years ago I shot IDPA often and it seemed like 50% of the other shooters were so fat they would have to point their weapon at their side (after LAMR) to reholster- a totally ignored safety violation brought on by their own body shape. Less of that in USPSA due to holster design, but still. Never mind the fact that the second most 'tactical' thing you can possess (after proper mindset) is a fit body. :sight:

Yes. I think it's tough to argue that there's any important advantage, in anything, to being in poor shape. But it certainly seems to be the trend of the future, judging from the number of people who can't park more than 50 ft away from anything without worry.

For my own self, I increased my own regular exercise over the past year specifically because of my interest in shooting. If it motivates me to spend more time at the gym, walking and hiking, then it's good. I know my shooting sure hasn't gotten worse. :)

Edited by Bongo Boy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
I used to teach karate with a guy name J.T. Wills he was huge, and he could be on the other side of the room and could be in your face and beating you down before you could blink. I've never seen anyone move that fast before. His belly weighed more than I did.

People who are seriously overweight can often move a lot faster than you'd think. For one thing they tend to have very strong legs. You might not be able to see it through the fat overlay but the muscle is there - it has to be, to hold up that much weight and move it around. Also, once they start moving, they have a lot of inertia working for them. Of course their endurance sucks, and they can't maintain that speed for long, but in the short term the fact that a fat person is across the room from you does indeed not mean they can't be in your face and beating on you posthaste if they decide to.

^ While my baseball days are long behind me, I still play softball and I'm a doubles and triples machine. B)

Probably due in large part because the don't expect a 6'4" 260-280 lbs tub of goo to be able to run so fast. :roflol:

I'm 6'4" and 310lbs, I was over 330 a few months ago :surprise: . Goal is to get back down to 230 or so...

To be honest, I joined USPSA in april, i've lost 20 without even thinking about it. Soda drags me down in the heat so i've been pounding the water. Same for the fast food, the grease just drags you down in the heat as well so i've been sucking down salads when I go out. Beer and Cigerettes is gonna be the tough one to give up.

No fast food, no soda, no beer, no smokes... might as well stop cussing as well!!!!

I can give up beer for vodka and cranberry juice..

Cigerettes are like Black Tar Heroin though.... :roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

Edited by OpenDot

I shot a match this weeked and someone took a video and can I only say. I looked like a fat pirate, betwen the belly and a limp from a knee replacement. I have to agree with some that being big and slow in a way makes you a better shot just because you have to compesate for your lack of movement. That being said, I am on a quest to lose about 50 pounds and if not win a match just make vidoes that I can watch without laughing on the outside and crying on the inside. :(

I shot a match this weeked and someone took a video and can I only say. I looked like a fat pirate, betwen the belly and a limp from a knee replacement. I have to agree with some that being big and slow in a way makes you a better shot just because you have to compesate for your lack of movement. That being said, I am on a quest to lose about 50 pounds and if not win a match just make vidoes that I can watch without laughing on the outside and crying on the inside. :(

I shoot every week and take lots of video of the squad. Once in awhile someone gets me on video. I am 295 and 6'1" and came to the conclusion last night that i dont feel as fat as i look on video! if i could loose 40 pounds id probly shave quite a bit of time.

• 5 weeks later...

people who enjoy guns statistically reject exercise, it's just too noticeable to dispute

Probably more true a statement than most would care to admit. Age is certainly a factor, but even alot of younger guys in this game are obese.

• 6 months later...

Dropping 100 pounds doesn't seem to have hurt my recoil control much. I am not sure I am a ton faster for short distances, but I sure as heck am for long ones. I can now sprint up two flights of stairs and not even breath hard at the top. That has to help your shooting some. I don't see how being faster and more athletic can hurt you in an athletic competition.