Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What weight do you have your trigger set to break at?

seeds76

Most of my guns are in the 2-2.5lb range. I have two that are under 2lbs, but not by much.

Now ask how many of these folks that are giving you exact figures whether they have a trigger pull gauge. I've handed people a gun with a really, really good 2.5lb trigger and they all swore there was no way it was anything over 2lbs. The human body works in movement better than pressure, so if it's really crisp makes more difference than really light (within reason).

I'm more interested in how you guys set your triggers (sear spring, sear angle, etc.) than the actual weight achieved.

Great topic for a gunsmithing section thread...if one doesn't already exist. After proper sear/hammer engagement it's all about sear spring tuning.

I just checked my Glock 34 and the trigger is at 2 pounds. This trigger feels real nice and smooth.

Wow, that's nice! I didn't know you could go that light on a Glock trigger. Is it still Production legal?

Oh and BTW, 3lb trigger pull on my SS gun.

The overall trigger pull weight is only a small part of the equation to how the trigger "feels" when you shoot. To me the final trigger pull weight is far less important than how it feels before it breaks, how it breaks and how it resets. How you prefer to pull the trigger, slap v.s. prep & squeeze, is a major decision point that needs to be identified before building up the trigger to support the different styles of trigger pull. If you are a prep & squeeze shooter and try to shoot a gun setup with a slap style trigger job it will probably not work for you no matter what the weight is. The same could be said for the other way around. Just keep in mind that changing the overall weight of the trigger pull is pretty easy. Changing how it fells before, during and after it breaks to support a prep & squeeze or slap style trigger press takes some skill. A true trigger job is done by building the trigger action to optimize it for the shooter using the gun. Its really no different than getting a custom suit made that fits you perfectly. Sure, an off the shelf suit will "Fit" and work, but there is usually no comparison to one that is custom fit to you. The same can be said for trigger jobs.

To make a long story short, the weight that my trigger breaks is just what I need to shoot both fast and accurate. Does it really matter what weight trigger pull I use? I am the one shooting my gun, not you. So what does it matter if I use a 1lb trigger or an 8lb trigger? Get your trigger built up to what your needs are and where ever the pull weight ends up is what it is.

• 1 month later...

How a trigger feels when you shoot, how it breaks and how it resets is far more important to me. I want a really short reset with a forward bias in the trigger. I use free hanging weights to test and set all my triggers. The following are my setups:

• Limited 5” .40 is at 2LB

• Limited 6” is over 1.75LB but under 2LB

• Limited 5” 9mm is over 1.75LB but under 2LB

• Open guns are over 1.5LB but under 1.75LB

Parts selection also plays a part in this, I only us the Clark 4 finger sear spring this allows greater latitude to adjust the disconnect reset function and forward trigger bias.

Out.

2011BLDR

uhh idk 4 and a half maybe on my polymer xdm?

i did just get an STI Ranger 2 though to complete my pistol collection. (3 pistols) i wonder what the pull weight is on that puppy. nice trigger.

Edited by Field