Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone ever handle a Sig p6/225

midwest-uspsa-shooter

I went into a smaller gun store in Ottawa KS and found a sig p6 in 9mm used for $400.Gun showed signs of holster wear along slide but nothing major.Does anyone have one or ever fired one of these.Ive seen some youtube videos that said tracking down other mags for them are hard and promags suck for them.Input is needed as im thinking of picking this up as my new compact concealed carry gun

I went into a smaller gun store in Ottawa KS and found a sig p6 in 9mm used for $400.Gun showed signs of holster wear along slide but nothing major.Does anyone have one or ever fired one of these.Ive seen some youtube videos that said tracking down other mags for them are hard and promags suck for them.Input is needed as im thinking of picking this up as my new compact concealed carry gun

Most that you are going to find a police trade in that were shipped over here in mass. Gander Mountain was selling these last year for $399 (at least here)and so were a few gun stores.

It is basically a compat 226, with a single stack mag. The grip is a little shorter and thinner, but everything else is pretty much the same. Decent guns.

Go to www.sigforum.com

they will be able to tell you all kinds of stuff

The P225/P6 is a compact version of the P220 9mm. The P6 pre-dates the P226 by about 10 years. Magazines are not a problem. Any P225 magazine will work in the P6 since it uses a heel magazine release. Since the P225 is still available new so are the magazines. Nice little guns IMO. I often carry a P225 in a VM II.

I bought a used West German police tradein at a local gun dealer. Well built pistol. For some reason, my wife likes the SIG P226 but the doublestack grip is too much for her small hands. The P6 has the single stack grip and fits her much better. My P6 has the American style mag release and came with two mags. It is built like a tank so it is heavy for its size and it has the double action/single action system - you can decide if you like that or not. If you like the SIG family of pistols - you will like the P6.

Mags are available but pricey, as are all factory SIG mags. I have one Promag

that has worked so far but it hasn't been used much either.

Mine is one of the German Police trade-ins from about 2 yrs ago.

Some of the P6 guns have reportedly been finicky with hollow point

ammo. I haven't shot much out of mine since I got it and haven't

carried it or used it for defensive purposes. Honestly,

I just got it because I like SIGs and when I got mine, they were

just $269. The grips had a few dings but the finish was really

in nice shape. DA trigger pull was quite gritty and heavy on

mine when I got it but a different hammer spring slicked it up.

Mine is sufficiently accurate but I have heard folks remark the

ones they have are extremely accurate.

Craig

I had one of the p6's. It was a great gun the only problem I had was getting the factory magazines at a reasonable price. I think it is about perfect size if you want a concealed carry gun just big enough to get a full grip.

The promags will work if you tune them a little bit. The follower is loose in the mag (front to back) and needs shimmed to run reliably ... IIRC the part of the follower that hits the slide stop also needs modified.

SIG P6 is a great pistol. Only thing I have changed was to have a trigger job done. Accuracy is well above par around 1.7 in @ 25yds. Mine shoots a little low at that distance, but not enough for me to change the sights. Unfortunately I let my daughter shoot it. Now I am looking for another.

Respectfully,

JW

• 2 months later...

I picked up a 225 a couple of weeks ago, I like sigs so when I noticed that one on consignment........I had looked around for a 239 which is a bit shorter in barrel and grip I think, but they tend to be pricey. paid 500 for this one, with 2 mags, no wear on the out and very little inside, with perfect grips.

Nicely built single stack gun, this one was stamped used by sig, so it was refurbished and resold. Not a P6. I would recommend it , it is a lot of good quality gun for CCW, that you can put alot of rounds through ,especially for $500 or less.

• 4 months later...

Shot a friend's Grade B P6 trade in a few times. OEM magazines were hard to find a few years ago, don't know if that's improved. The gun was mechanically very accurate but suffered from a HEAVY trigger pull. A new set of springs cleaned it up nicely and it ran well.

I still regret not buying it from him when I had the chance.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a few of them, I like them so much. I've never had any problem with any of them, and carry one daily. The promag 8-rounders worked for me after I cleaned and lubed with Sliptstream Lubricant from Crusader Weaponry. 10 rounders never had a problem. I carry factory mags only.

Have a P6 that I had redone. I got it when they first came in, and the finish was worn very bad but the interior was in great shape. Refinished the gun and Nill Grips put on. It is a great shooting gun. The feed ramp on the earlier ones are not set up for hollowpoints unless they have a more round profile. There is a company that does a modification to the new style feedramp for like 50 bucks(had mined done when I got it). I am sure someone on the sig forum knows the company. I also have the barrel polished. I never liked the size of the sig grips in a double stack but the single stack feels nice.

post-14119-067826700 1296773468_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

I love my Sig P6, however, it doesn't like several brands of hollow point ammo. Golden Sabres and others will jam. The remington 115gr HP works great, no jams yet. It is a slick little carry gun, just make sure you practice with your carry ammo, even though it may be expensive.

To my knowledge, my P6's have never had any work done on them. As far as hollowpoint feeding, I can only speak for my first one which is my carry gun, but I've never had a problem with it feeding Federal Hydrashok, Federal HST, or Speer Gold Dot. The rest have only seen cheap FMJ's but they have all functioned flawlessly with every FMJ I fed them.

The only one I've had reliability problems with is the one I replaced the main-spring in. I bought a Wolff pack which came with 4 different main springs of varying weights. I was able to shave one lb off factory and still only achieve about 95% reliability with it. I designated that one my "screw around with gun" and never carry it.

Edited by Outbreak

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 225 and except for the heavy trigger pull it's a great gun. Thin and easy to conceal and more than accurate enough, and I have had no feeding problems with any ammo. I have several friends that purchased the P6's for around $300 to $350.00 when they came out a couple of years ago and they all like them. For the price they're great guns.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got one and like it. Mine had a badly worn finish, so I sent it back to SIG in NH and had them do their re-furb where they replace all pins and springs and add night sights, and also had the slide re-finished. This doubled the cost of the gun, but now it's in like-new condition. The only modification I've done is replace the mainspring with a Wolff 20 lb. version, which made the DA reasonable, but not like my Olhasso-tuned Beretta or Mink-tuned CZs. ;) It's 100% with the ammo I've tried, including jacketed and lead TCs, JHPs and RNs. It's the perfect size for a carry gun. I keep Federal Tactical Bonded 135 grain +P JHPs in mine.

ETA: I replaced the springs in the two original mags and the one ProMag I bought with Wolff extra power springs. Even the ProMag runs 100%, though I don't use it as a carry mag - bought two new production mags for that.

Edited by revchuck

My wife has a P6 & she loves it. She especially likes that it is a quality service pistol shoots very nicely AND that it fits her hand. Plus she can rack the slide OK - something she can hardly do on my P226.

Hers has the American-style magazine release & shows only moderate wear on the finish.