Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most accurate hunting rifle (generally)

G-ManBart

One of the threads commented on the fact that Sig Sauer supposedly stopped importing them some while back because of the same reasons, that information from a company rep. Take it for what it's worth, I'm just sayin' ;)

Sig Sauer still imports them, under their own "tactical" label.

I, too, like Blasers in the $3k range (I use .308, .264 WinMag or .300 WinMag, depending on the target), though I also would (and do) gleefully go out with a GA Precision rifle (mine's a .260).

But you really don't NEED a $3k rifle to do the job. I have a buddy with a Ruger .300 WinMag (rebarrelled and with a new trigger) that he hunts with -- and he usually does better than I do. My son uses a Mauser surplus 6.5x55 action that I had built into a hunter by a local gunsmith, and it does the job for about $1500.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read a screaming review of a Nighthawk Tactical sniper rifle and was wondering if anybody has tried their hunting line? It's a bit over his price range, but it still piqued my curiosity. R,

Something I think a lot of people that lose sight of:

Not all precision rifles are hunting rifles, and sadly, not all hunting rifles are precision rifles.

Many hunting rifles can be both light and incredibly accurate, look at the Rifles Inc Lines; however, they don't have the weight or barrel profiles to shoot all day. Precision rifles you could shoot all day comfortably and without any noticeable change in POI; however, I wouldn't want to do any real hunting with with a heavy, purpose built precision rifle.

Hunting rifles shoot one shot groups.

:) Gets my vote for the sentence of the topic.

Yeah, but it is kind of nice to know that the one hole will be in the same place (relatively speaking) time after time. There's no such thing as too much accuracy, and justified confidence in that accuracy can't hurt anything. :)

Hunting rifles shoot one shot groups.

:) Gets my vote for the sentence of the topic.

Yeah, but it is kind of nice to know that the one hole will be in the same place (relatively speaking) time after time. There's no such thing as too much accuracy, and justified confidence in that accuracy can't hurt anything. :)

Agreed. That confidence goes a long way. My Blaser barrels are all sub-MOA accurate. and I like that.

Groups are overrated. Hunters get one shot. I'd much rather see someone who can hit small targets with the first shot than hitting the same target 5 times in a row. Let's face it...real life is one shot at a time.

Groups are overrated. Hunters get one shot. I'd much rather see someone who can hit small targets with the first shot than hitting the same target 5 times in a row. Let's face it...real life is one shot at a time.

Unless you hunt with an AR.

Let me preface by saying I am biased toward the work that GA does. I have 3 GAP "tactical" rifles, and take them hunting rather than my Kimber 308 (which I have sold) or my Sako TRG-S any time I expect a shot might be over 200yds. Why, because as people say I have more confidence that those rifles will put the bullet where I want it when I want. However, when the money comes available, the Sako will most likely make a trip to KC for the GAP ju ju magic. I'm thinking pretty much a Non-typical, but using the Sako's action, and a McM Edge stock. It will weigh more than the 6.5#SA NT, but I'm not against a 7.5-8# rifle when it comes to magnum calibers.

My wife has an APA rifle from when it was PAI. And a couple friends have PAI rifles both tactical and hunting. They do very high quality work as well.

The question that you have to answer when looking at a custom rifle, is the difference between a consistent 1-1.5 MOA and .5-.75 MOA worth $2k.

Christensen Arms make some nice light weight rifles. They have different levels of "custom" but even the entry level rifle looks nice. One in 300RUM would be hard to beat.

I have a Christensen in 300 Win Mag and could not be happier. He might want to also consider Ultra Light Arms from West Virginia. Whether he chooses one of these or something else which is on the lighter side, half way through the second day he is going to be very happy that he did not choose to carry around the extra pounds.

American Precision Arms formerly Patriot Arms builds a really great rifle as well. http://www.americanprecisionarms.com/c-6-hunting.aspx?p=1 Jarret's quality is every bit as good as GA Precision but his price does not match their's since his overhead is lower.

What you are going to find is that any good rifle can be made to shoot well if you spend some time working with loads and bullets and you are going to find some of the cheaper out of the box stuff will often shoot as well as the most finely tuned hand loads.

It goes without saying to get the best glass on the rifle possible but I see a lot of guys going hunting in the west with all their money invested in a scope and taking cheaper binoculars. Your buddy is going to use his scope for a few minutes a day. He will use his binoculars all day every day and with the abilty to see and stalk for miles, it becomes very important to have some that do not cause eye fatigue from prolonged use.

The rockingest hunting rifles I ever shot were built by Kodiak Precision on a Sako actions in .308. I was pounding the ram at Rio Salado with it (~550m). The Sako is one of the smoothest actions out there. The stocks were McMillan and H&S. The glass was Swarovski. It is said that American spend more money on the rifle and less on the glass while Europeans spend more on the glass and less on the rifle.

We were talking about his trip and he asked me what I thought was the most accurate hunting rifle available for $3K or less

The quick answer is the one that you can shoot the best from every position except from a bench (in most cases), that has sufficient power/energy to get the job done. I have many of the suggestions above in even more calibers than listed above but each has a niche they fill. In any case there are many factory rifles that will do the trick for under 3k, even with glass.

If he is going to have a guide drive him around and ask that he put a foot in the dirt before he fires, using the vehicle as a rest, the field is wide open with great choices. If its a hiking hunt in mountains, I would limit my choices to my lightest rifles that is for sure.

Sad enough as it is for us gun guys, there are a lot more important aspects to a hunt than the rifle/pistol. I guess if he goes custom and cant show off a mount, he can still show off the rifle.

Edited by jmorris

Ive hunted in the Rocky Mountains and South Texas for many years. They are bigger in the mountains and probably harder to kill in S. TX. given the environment they exist in, one of those "will to live" things. Ive shot many calibers and let the air out of many head of game. Consistantly the 300 win mag does a dandy job from prairie dogs to elk (no you dont eat the pds, especially after the big boy pops em) and from zero to as many yards as you can probably shoot responsibly. The recoil is moderate and doesnt crucify the shooter. The ammo is easy to find in a pinch. The round is inherently accurate, and rifles chambered for it abundant. Left to only one caliber for hunting, this scores very high.

My current rifle (THE ONE-emphasis intended)is a Kimber 8400 Montana with a Leupold VariX III 3.5X10-40 in handlapped Leupold mounts. We verifed bedding, the action true, etc. Was prepared for expert TLC but none required on this mid priced production rifle. I shopped hard with no particular budget for rifle or scope so a custom whizbang ninja brand was within the realm and many were considered. This combination gives me a 26" tube to burn the magnum charge, very lightweight for humping that bugger through the aforementioned mountains, and enough scope for any practical/legal situation I have experienced thru the years. I have had numerous other rifles in this caliber and others. This one does 3/4 moa for 3 shots with several premium ammo types and a little better w/handloads. It does this at 105 degrees in central TX, and at 9 degrees at 9000 feet in Colorado. Im not sure what you need but this combo is working well for its specified use with enough dough left over for a good hunt to use it on. I have killed big game with it past 500 yds (and have missed 1 or 2 easy ones up close, see hunters excuse list for more info). One should consider the package required for the task. Accuracy aint everything, but it does help and provide confidence when the that one shot presents itself.

On the other hand, life is short, buy one of each you want! My 2 cents worth :)

Does the 3K include having to put a scope on it? I'd say pick the scope first then see how much you have left to spend on the gun.

For that kind of cash, I'd spend $1,000-1250 on the scope and the rest on the gun.

Going along with what Charles said, good binos are important. If you only have 3K, spend 1K each on binos, gun, and scope.

Does the 3K include having to put a scope on it? I'd say pick the scope first then see how much you have left to spend on the gun.

For that kind of cash, I'd spend $1,000-1250 on the scope and the rest on the gun.

Going along with what Charles said, good binos are important. If you only have 3K, spend 1K each on binos, gun, and scope.

Nope, he just said $3K for the gun, scope would be separate. R,

I have hunted a little bit in that Rocky Mountain area. It is a pretty long trip for me, so I only do it one hunting season a year. I have never needed more than my Pre War Win M70 in 30-06, but the OP is asking about a custom gun. My vote would go to a Jense Precision built light weight hunter(www.jenseprecision.com). The rifles are tack drivers, super light, and drop dead gorgeous. If you do not like recoil, run a break on it which most of the Jense guns do. Probably get in just under the $3000. Drop $1500-2000 on a scope and you are good to go.

My .02

Randy

I own a ton of hunting rifles. Every year I spend 5-6 days double checking sight-in. Every rifle I own will shoot sob-moa groups. The ones I've bought that wouldn't shoot that well have been sold or traded. My longest available shot is around 240 yards. My biggest issue is I can't really let a deer leave my property, if they do it can mean crossing a deep ass creek (which is very cold in Nov-Dec) or tracking on your hands and knees. For that reason my go to rifles are a : Rem 700 in 338RUM, Rem 700 in 300 Weatherby, and a Ruger No1 sporter in 7mmSTW. All of these are topped with Leupold VX-3's and all will shoot 3/4 inch groups.

I've often thought about buying one high end rifle and getting rid of a bunch of others but in truth, I enjoy just reaching in the safe and grabbing a good shooting rifle irregardless of which one I pick.

Yikes... $3000.!!! I'm perfectly content with my Rem. 700 for hunting purposes. :)

Now if I was building a precision bench rest rifle... maybe so.

Edited by unclez

• 9 months later...

Well...I'm no authority for sure. What's wrong with a Savage Model 11 in 300 WSM and nice glass? Not worthy? Cheesy or?

Looks like it will work just fine on any quarry in North America. I have read that the AccuStock is nothing to sneeze at accuracy wise.

I wonder.

I have a total of 3 Savage bolt action rifles, one with the Accustock, all 3 with the Accutrigger. I think for the money Savage builds one of the most accurate weapons out there. I've seen them outshoot expensive custom rifles costing 5 times as much. With good glass and mounts, along with some good, accurate handloads, there isn't much these rifles can't accomplish. Bill T.