Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting my son started

I have a 9 year old son and would like to get him involved in this sport. He has shot quite a bit and has been on several hunting trips and I work with him quite often on safe gun-handling so he is familiar with firearms. Can anyone give me suggestions on how they started with their kids? What events did you enter them in, good pistols to start with, etc. We live in southern Colorado if that helps. Thanks.

Matthew (Husker95)

I started my 10 year old grandson out with a Glock 19 9mm with a .22 conversion kit, TFO sights, and a 3 1/2 pound trigger enhancement. After a couple of weeks of practice I then let him start shooting with 9mm at close targets (3 - 7 yards). After a few months of static practice with accuracy and group concentration we started working on drawing and moving.

Once he had been practicing for 4 straight months, I then took him to an IDPA match. He loved it and won several local matches.

He caught the fever, then he discovered 3 Gun competition and that's the rest of the story. He is now 15 and still shoots 3 gun matches on occasion, something about getting up early doesn't agree with him ... oh well, kids.

Don't have any kids, but several have started at the USPSA club I belong to. Their Dad outfitted them with a .22 and mags. Usually a Ruger or something like that. A Glock or 1911 with a conversion unit is good too. The RO's were very helpful and supportive and the other squad members were fantastic. They usually started from the "low ready" rather than draw for safety sake.

FWIW

Richard

I'm starting my 9y.o. in Steel Challenge. No holster, little if any movement and instant, positive feedback on his hits. He'll shoot 'til his arms are too tired to hold up the gun. He's shot our Texas Star enough that he usually clears it in one magazine, lol. He shoots a Buckmark with a Tac-Sol barrel and C-More

Thanks guys, i appreciate the advice. I like the idea of starting him with steel. I have the Dillon 550 already and i also have a Ruger 22/45 that he has shot a lot so if i can find him some rimfire steel matches that will be good. I also like the idea of getting a Glock 35: he could shoot no-move steel matches with it and when he gets older it will be waiting for him for prod and limited matches. I could download 40 for steel and prod matches. Dad could also break it in for him.

Matthew

How do you figure? I have watched a 10 year old girl with a 34 do very well, from the holster, reload, moving, the whole bit. I had my first pistol at 10. Florida boys may be different though, I don't know?

I would get him a Glock 34 and a Dillon.

And a trip to the emergency room if you follow Old506's advice! :surprise:

My 7 y.o. son started with my glock 17 w/ a 22 conversion kit. Now every week he comes with me and shoot w/out the conversion but with minor 130pf loads. Now i'm reloading for him... It's going to be quite sometime until he loads for Daddy...

Emphasize on safety always...

What I meant about getting the Dillon was that the little buggers can run through a lot of ammo. I wasn't suggesting they start reloading themselves. I will have to put my attorney approved disclaimer on next time. :P

I started my 14 year old step-daughter and 12 year old step-son last summer. I spent four good solid days at the range with them and progressed them through the basics and then into basic safety while moving. The 12 year old wasn't ready for USPSA, but the 14 year old was. I had them both shooting steel challenge wed afternoons down in Pueblo, and then got the 14 year old into the USPSA matches.

I had them shooting a glock 17 and a glock with an AA .22lr conversion. I stuck with the 9mm with the 14 year old as she was ready to handle the gun. The 5" S&W M&P is probably the most ideal youth pistol out there as it accomidates small hands very well. If he's big enough, a glock or XD wouldn't be a bad starting off point either. I was having my step-daughter shoot limited minor with extended mags. I wanted her focusing on the shooting and not the reloading. The extra rounds in the mag, a good trigger job, and a tungsten guide rod helped compensate for a lot for her small stature. She's a pretty small girl for her age, but handles it well once I got the gun set up for her.

I NEVER asked her about her overall times. I always stressed getting her hits and being safe. I helped her with walk-throughs and stage plans at first and then let her do it herself unless she asked for help. It's her shooting, and not mine. I wanted her to feel ownership in the shooting and not just doing what 'Dad told her to do'. I also would not RO her if at all possible. She DQed her first match, and it was a huge lesson for her. It made it easier for everyone me not being the RO, and she learned there weren't going to be any short-cuts or exceptions made for her.

FWIW, it turned out well for my kids.

SA Friday is describing basically exactly what my Dad with my nephew. Basic safety and gun handling and go to matches. My nephew is now 14 and is a C class in open and limited. He definitely wasn't smothered on the range and he was allowed to figure things out on his own with very little guidance other than rules and SAFETY. Hey, if a 14 year old kid gets up on his own and willingly sits in a car for up to 2 hours one way just to shoot a match, my Dad did something right!!

My oldest son, who is now 11, starting shooting in action pistol competition on his 9th birthday with a 1911 in 45. That was a mistake. It was diffcult to get that gun to run for him consistently. He got real good at clearing jams. He saved some money and we bought a Glock 34 about 6 months after he started. The glock has been perfect for him. Light and reliable.

At first, we started focusing on the range commands and basic safety and the rules of the game. If we had a steel match near us, we would have started with that, since there is little to no movement. Max Michiel SR shoots with us, and he said he started Max Jr on steel for a full year to focus on the fundamentals of marksmanship and grip before introducing movement.

He's slowly gotten better, and we've tried to keep it fun. Our Priorities have been

1.) Be safe

2.) Have fun

3.) Put holes in targets

In that order.

For the past 1.5 years, he's done all his own stage planning, so he's got some ownership in his actions.

In March of this year, he won Production D class outright at the Alabama State Championships. Last weekend, he Won High Junior at the Mississippi Classic (MS state championship match).

the biggest thing that I have discovered is that shooting isn't the only thing he has going on in his life. I've learned to not put as much pressure on him.

His little brother recently started as well, and of course it is always easier with the next sibling since you have something to go on. We have had to re-spring the gun so that his brother's weaker grip wouldn't cause limp wristing jams.

Good luck.

Edited by chbrow10

We started our son with an airsoft G17 gas blowback gun, a used holster and mag carriers. Homemade cardboard targets, saftey glasses, and ear plugs. Working on the basic rules of gun saftey. Hopefully as he gets older these lessons and the practice over the last year will help. He turns 5 on June 30. Still to young to turn loose with a live gun, but plenty of timeto practice

• 2 weeks later...

If I may ask, what did she do to get the DQ?

She DQed her first match, and it was a huge lesson for her. It made it easier for everyone me not being the RO, and she learned there weren't going to be any short-cuts or exceptions made for her.

-Dennis

I'm starting my 9y.o. in Steel Challenge. No holster, little if any movement and instant, positive feedback on his hits. He'll shoot 'til his arms are too tired to hold up the gun. He's shot our Texas Star enough that he usually clears it in one magazine, lol. He shoots a Buckmark with a Tac-Sol barrel and C-More

That's exactly what I was thinking. Not every club shoots steel, but if they do, it's a great intro and somewhat more controlled than an IDPA/USPSA match. R,

If I may ask, what did she do to get the DQ?

She DQed her first match, and it was a huge lesson for her. It made it easier for everyone me not being the RO, and she learned there weren't going to be any short-cuts or exceptions made for her.

-Dennis

Right handed; moving right to left and reloading... 180 violation. We worked on this scenario before the match and I was having her reload and then move right to left. I don't think she took the rules as black and white as they are. It can be hard for some kids to get that certain things in life are really serious enough to be that cut and dry until they experience it. It was a good lesson for her. I made her shoot the next match the next day at a different club and her attitude towards the rules were completely different and she finished the match. She was very safe after the DQ.

• 7 months later...

Interesting and timeless advice.

I brought my 13 year old son to an indoor range for the first time yesterday. I have wanted him to want to shoot, but have not pressured him one bit. He is shooting my G34, and did very well. Paper at 3-7 yards, a few at 15, but mostly close to focus on accuracy and understanding what happens when he pulls, jerks or flinches. He had a blast, and seems to understand the Front sight and trigger press concept very well. What ever you do, just don't push too hard and discourage them. I started him shooting under close supervision with an old S&W K17 revolver, but this was the first time he had shot the Glock. Lots of pre shoot practice at home first, safety, muzzle control, sight picture and focus, trigger press, rack, misfire, that sort of thing.

Steel is a great idea, but I think paper at 3-5 yards is too. You can stand closer, and actually get an idea of what is happening, and where you are hitting, not just that you are hitting. I think hold off on the steel untill they can stay a safe distance from the target and have decent accuracy. Once they can hit the paper fairly frequently at ten yards, then move on to steel to maintain interest.

I totally agree with the idea of walking a stage if you bring them to a match. Dont worry about time, just making the hits.

I also want to throw out that if you have someone you trust, have them work with your kid(s) too. Sometimes suggestions are better coming from someone else.

I think there has been a lot of good advice, but I personally believe you are better starting out with a close paper target, then moving on to steel as their skill progresses. (I know, how can you disagree with Max Sr., but I bet Jr. was not just starting when he began shooting steel)

Good Luck and let us know how things are going.

WG

I have three grown sons that compete now.

The all started shooting young, small bore youth leagues, bird hunting over dogs, plinking etc. As they got about 15 or so I thought USPSA would be fun for them. But not many others their age were at matches. So karate, motorcycles, golf, is what we did as a family during those years.

Now we shoot USPSA together.

I think the previous suggestions are great, but the best thing I can say is keep it fun and let the kid dictate the level of involvement. Hammer safety, safety, safety but keep it interesting for him.

B