Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major vs. Minor - Huge difference in feel?

Pro2AInPA

I have a few thousand major .40 rounds loaded with 4.4gr of Titegroup under a 180gr plated bullet.

I'm planning on shooting production at this weekend's special classifier match, but I haven't worked up a minor PF .40 load and won't have time to test one before then.

So, for you guys who have shot major and minor PF .40, is there a huge difference in feel? Am I setting myself up for failure shooting production with major PF ammo?

If you are used to the major load I don't see why it would matter for just one odd match. If you are planning on shooting a lot of production with it in the future then you might as well work up a minor load.

It's a pretty clear difference when you go from one to the other (like 225FPS difference between 135 and 175PF with a 180), but if you're used to the current load it's not going to be a big deal for a match or two. R,

I guess my other option would be to buy a few hundred rounds of minor .40 from Atlanta Arms and Ammo . . .I should be able to sneak to the range to fire a few mags of it to make sure it runs my gun.

I should be able to sneak to the range to fire a few mags of it to make sure it runs my gun.

And therein lies the rub... It's not just making PF, it's making PF with a load that shoots well for you in your gun.

Hope I don't confuse you too much but thought I'd chime in here. My wife and I shoot limited STI pistols, I shoot major, she shoots minor. My load is a 200 gr. Bear Creek that makes a comfortable 173 pf. When I load for my wife all I do is change the bullet to a 155 gr. Bear Creek. Same C.O.A.L., same powder charge, same crimp, etc, etc. This load makes a 140 pf. The difference in recoil is HUGE. I run an ISMI 12.5# spring in my gun and a ISMI 9# spring in hers. When I shoot her minor loads it feels like cheating. They are so soft the front sight just hangs around in a lazy circle when running rapid fire drills or plate racks and poppers. I realize this is not always the case but you might consider just trying your load with a lighter bullet 155-165 gr. and see what you think. Maybe grab 50 or so from a buddy and see for yourself.

My two cents,

cheers623

DVC

Hope I don't confuse you too much but thought I'd chime in here. My wife and I shoot limited STI pistols, I shoot major, she shoots minor. My load is a 200 gr. Bear Creek that makes a comfortable 173 pf. When I load for my wife all I do is change the bullet to a 155 gr. Bear Creek. Same C.O.A.L., same powder charge, same crimp, etc, etc. This load makes a 140 pf. The difference in recoil is HUGE. I run an ISMI 12.5# spring in my gun and a ISMI 9# spring in hers. When I shoot her minor loads it feels like cheating. They are so soft the front sight just hangs around in a lazy circle when running rapid fire drills or plate racks and poppers. I realize this is not always the case but you might consider just trying your load with a lighter bullet 155-165 gr. and see what you think. Maybe grab 50 or so from a buddy and see for yourself.

My two cents,

cheers623

DVC

I will definitely consider that when I work up my minor load. I just don't have time this week to work one up and test it before the matches this weekend. I'm shooting production because there's a special classifier this weekend and I already have my limited classification.

My .02. I did some testing with Open Minor and Open Major. In a 3 target speed drill with 6 shots reload 6 shots the run times were within .2 minor just a tick faster(total run time just under 6 seconds). Where the difference showed up was in the hits, the major hits were better on every run.

Now if we consider that 80% of our time on a stage is not shooting and that is what we need to work on reducing, then minor vs major really isn't a very large factor.

In the case of a limited gun, I was running 4.8gr of WST w/185 for a good 172pf Major load, for a steel match and an Action match with no pf I dropped that down to 3.8gr with 185 and yes it was a lot less recoil and flip and it ran the gun fine and hit well enough. I don't think it made my name change from Ron to Rob and don't think I was much faster.

Bottom line it is not going to make much if any difference, your brain is wired to only pull the trigger so fast, without a lot of practice its not going to go any faster. Going with un-tested ammo is a nono. To be on the safe side take both with you then you can switch back if its not working for you. Now if you are uncomfortable shooting your current load then it might make more difference.

Ms Neomet has been used to shooting minor in our Tac Sport. This weekend I had her shoot some of my major loads. She shot better and interestingly, preferred the feel of the big boy rounds. Go figure........

Shoot what you got, have fun. Worry about a minor load, that works in you gun, later when you have more time.

+1 Don't change anything for this weekend, you have a load that you are used to and the gun likes it, why risk it and have a bad day. There will be more matches and more classifiers. Go enjoy this one, and plan for the next.

+2

It's just one match. So what if you initial classifiers are slightly lower than they would be with a minor load - that'll change as you shoot the division more with a load tuned to your liking.

Getting ammo just for the one match when you don't have time to test its reliability, get the feel of it and zero it, is an expensive and potentially frustrating approach.

Shoot what ya got. Work up the load and get it right at your leisure, later.

I guess my other option would be to buy a few hundred rounds of minor .40 from Atlanta Arms and Ammo . . .

It is true that this is an option but you may also want to consider that changing your PF is also going to change the timing of your pistol.

Good morning,

I have a 40 Minor load that uses 180 grain bullets (Berry's and Rainier) over 3.6 grains of Titegroup. COL = 1.127" It shoots softer than a 9mm and the brass collects at my feet. The Glock 22 and Glock 23 function reliably with the load, but won't lock the slide back on an empty magazine. Changing to an ISMI 15lb recoil spring in the G22 did the trick, though (I haven't changed the G23 spring yet). I really like the load and in my G22 the PF is 131. No variance in velocity was noted in 38F temps the first time I used my chronograph with them, and 70F temps the second time.

Warmest regards,

Rob

Thanks for the replies guys.

The primary reason I want to get a classification in production is so that I'm classified when I shoot matches in states with mag capacity restritions. I'll primarily stick to limited here in PA. :cheers:

A very wise friend of mine has told me "don't make getting to the track your biggest race." When I've ignored his advice, I've always regretted it. If you don't have time to make sure your gun will function and be accurate with a minor load, just shoot major.

Post #8 is perfect. I gave the same advice to a friend last nite at a match.

You can run lower powder charges with a 180 bullet but that has several potential problems.

My advice is just swap to a 155. 2nd place is choose a slower powder for the 180's and stay above 4 grains.

While there is a noticeable difference in feel between the PF, if you are use to the major PF roll with it. Don't change things before something major or an event you are focusing on.

Just load up 155s with all else the same and shoot. Very noticeable difference in recoil. Contrary to some others I can shoot considerably faster and more accurately with the lighter loads.

Only way to know what it does for YOUR shooting is to try it on for size.

• 6 months later...

I have a 40 Minor load that uses 180 grain bullets (Berry's and Rainier) over 3.6 grains of Titegroup. COL = 1.127" It shoots softer than a 9mm and the brass collects at my feet. The Glock 22 and Glock 23 function reliably with the load, but won't lock the slide back on an empty magazine.

That is my same load, which functions well in my STI Tactical 5.0 with a 12# recoil spring.