Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First Glock

ectomorph

I don’t see the cost of ammo coming down anytime soon and that’s got me thinking about 9 mm and buying a Glock. I’ve zeroed in on the 17 or the 19 if I can find a carry rig that works with my frame (see my ID).

There seems to be a plentiful supply, both new and used, of both these models on the market

The model 19 seems to come either with 10 or 15 round mags – is the 15 round mag double stack ?

I’d also like to know if there are physical differences in the gen 2, 3, 4 and, if not, how can you tell them apart ?

As you can see my "Glock-Savvy" is zero so any other guidance would also be much appreciated.

(one other note - I do not shoot competitively)

Welcome to the Forum. You won't find much tactical info or carry gun stuff here.

But if your intending to shoot the games a 17 is just fine. Here is a link to lots

of basic info on the greatest guns ever. http://www.glockfaq.com/

Have fun. Be Safe!

Because Glock is all things great. Now as for the mag question. A general rule of thumb with Glock mags is that you can put a bigger mag in a smaller gun, but you cant put a smaller mag in a bigger gun. For example, If you have a Glock 23 (the compact .40 S&W model) you can use the Glock 22 mags in them. They will just stick out of the handle a bit farther. Hell, you can even buy those 35 round 9mm Glock mags and put them in the Glock 17 (though Ill admit it looks kind of stupid). And yes the higher cap mags are double stack. Hope that help you a little.

-Mike

Because Glock is all things great. Now as for the mag question. A general rule of thumb with Glock mags is that you can put a bigger mag in a smaller gun, but you cant put a smaller mag in a bigger gun. For example, If you have a Glock 23 (the compact .40 S&W model) you can use the Glock 22 mags in them. They will just stick out of the handle a bit farther. Hell, you can even buy those 35 round 9mm Glock mags and put them in the Glock 17 (though Ill admit it looks kind of stupid). And yes the higher cap mags are double stack. Hope that help you a little.

-Mike

I thought the quote was "Glock is all things mediocre". If it were all things great, then why are there so many after market parts to make them better, not made by Glock? :sight:

Ah yes, but the Factory Glock is quite possibly one of the most reliable platforms out there. Once one starts adding goodies (ie. trigger kits, different springs, barrels etc) problems are more likely to surface. I pretty much tend to avoid using the term "better" as well. "Better" is very subjective in many aspects of life. The reason for this is that one person may think a lighter recoil spring is "better" than a factory one whereas someone else may think the factory spring is "better" from a reliability standpoint. Still, Glocks are all things awesome neener neener neener. :sight:

I would think as the original poster was asking about Glock specifically...that would be the reason why Glock? If you are looking for a defensive gun. Either will work well for your needs. Both the 17 & 19 are double stack magazine guns. Things to consider are your physical size, manner of dress, and desired carry location on the body. I would suggest an indoor range, if one exist near you to shoot both guns. Someone there may be able to assist you in your quest.

Why Glock? Why not an XDM? Or an M&P? Why must everything always be Glock??? :rolleyes:

Cuz we drink Glock Kool-Aid here...in the Glock sub-forum ;)

Ah yes, but the Factory Glock is quite possibly one of the most reliable platforms out there. Once one starts adding goodies (ie. trigger kits, different springs, barrels etc) problems are more likely to surface. I pretty much tend to avoid using the term "better" as well. "Better" is very subjective in many aspects of life. The reason for this is that one person may think a lighter recoil spring is "better" than a factory one whereas someone else may think the factory spring is "better" from a reliability standpoint. Still, Glocks are all things awesome neener neener neener. :sight:

Exactly. Glocks are like Vespa scooters. 100% reliable out of the box and once the cool kids start "tuning" them and "making them better", they find themselves pushing a Vespa or racking a Glock slide. I've done both before.

Anyways, the initial poster may be better of with a full size weapon, i.e. 17 or 34, for a little gaming, and probably the smaller option as companion tupperware. Just my opinion, of course.

Why Glock? Why not an XDM? Or an M&P? Why must everything always be Glock??? :rolleyes:

I used to think the same thing. I wasted a year screwing around with an M&P because I refused to be like everybody else and shoot a Glock. :wacko: Now I am one of those (everybody else's) who shoots an ugly, cheap, made fun of, bashed, 100% reliable gun. :devil:

Edited by Sarge

I don’t see the cost of ammo coming down anytime soon and that’s got me thinking about 9 mm and buying a Glock. I’ve zeroed in on the 17 or the 19 if I can find a carry rig that works with my frame (see my ID).

There seems to be a plentiful supply, both new and used, of both these models on the market

The model 19 seems to come either with 10 or 15 round mags – is the 15 round mag double stack ?

I’d also like to know if there are physical differences in the gen 2, 3, 4 and, if not, how can you tell them apart ?

As you can see my "Glock-Savvy" is zero so any other guidance would also be much appreciated.

(one other note - I do not shoot competitively)

Well seems to me you have your mind set on a Glock, so I wont second guess where you are coming from as we've never met, and I RESPECT where you are coming from. Another consideration is that you have stated that you are not into competition, for those others that have chimed in on this one, I think that is one thing they should have considered.

Sooooo, I would look for a Glock that is compact, in a caliber you like, and are comfortable with. A caliber whose performance you personally respect, not one that others tell you is the best because they are claiming some kind of expertise. Look at abllistics, heck fill some jugs with gelatin and shoot them with various calibers and various defensive ammo. This will give yuou a first-hand idea, and will actually be fun too. (We used to do this as kids. Can't tell you how many boxes of Knox gelatin we burned through. Fun, fun, fun!)

So overall you will want to look for form, (How well your physique can hide a firearm of various sizes.)

Fit (How well it fits you hand, and your eyes like the sights, which can be changed too if you wish.) And function. (The pistols reliability, and your ability to shoot it well when pushed as close to a stressed situation as possible. I saw a good drill of retreating off to one side while trying to shoot a Bill drill all at the same time. Good defensive drill if you ask me.)

I know your talking about the 19 & 17, but I just wanna add I Love my Glock 27!(the baby Glock) costm trigger sights and laser and 3 9rnd mags with 2 29high cap. mags makes it even more fun to shoot! what ever your choice is between the two models im sure you wont be dissatisfied....

I know your talking about the 19 & 17, but I just wanna add I Love my Glock 27!(the baby Glock) costm trigger sights and laser and 3 9rnd mags with 2 29high cap. mags makes it even more fun to shoot! what ever your choice is between the two models im sure you wont be dissatisfied....

ectomorph, the 27 is a very little 40 cal, and can be hard to hold on to. You can get the 26( same size as a 27) it is a very small 9mm

I might add stick it in a crossbread holster.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

Edited by usmc1974

-Mike

I thought the quote was "Glock is all things mediocre". If it were all things great, then why are there so many after market parts to make them better, not made by Glock? :sight:

Probably for the same reason that there are so many aftermarket parts not made by Smith or Springfield to make the M&P and XD climb above their copycat mediocrity :rolleyes:

-Mike

Probably for the same reason that there are so many aftermarket parts not made by Smith or Springfield to make the M&P and XD climb above their copycat mediocrity :rolleyes:

Maybe, but since the rest are all "copycats", you would think Glock would want to stand out from them, and make their weapons somewhat more than medicocre. You know the people at Glock know what you guys are doing to their weapons, why don't they offer it done at the factory? S & W has a custom department, so does Springfield, does Glock? :sight: