Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Primer Slide getting stuck in the Primer Housing

On both my 550b's, I have this recurring problem where the Primer Slide does not want to go all the way in to the Primer Housing to pickup a fresh primer on the DOWN stroke. However, a slight nudge on the Primer slide would make it go in. I've checked all the alignment by following the manual and they seem to be correct. Looking at it closely, it looks like the Primer Seating cup occasionally hits the side walls of the primer housing on the way in.

This had become annoying and really disrupts my reloading process as I have to always check and make sure that the slide always goes all the way in.

Any suggestions?

I tried removing the primer cup (held in with an allen screw if I remember) and rotating it, but it seemed to be at the same angle. My problem seemed to be the housing itself not being perfectly perpendicular to the mounting surface. A different housing and I have not had a problem with primers since.

ETA: Not sure if it caused it, but I used to tighten then two bolts that hold the housing down too tight. Now I just tighten then just enough to not allow the housing to move.

Edited by High Lord Gomer

I had the same problem late last year. It turned out to be that the primer bar was slightly bent out of spec. When I called Dillon I got lucky and the guy knew exactly what was wrong. They sent me a new slide and it has never happened again.

I would call Dillon! :cheers:

I had the same problem late last year. It turned out to be that the primer bar was slightly bent out of spec. When I called Dillon I got lucky and the guy knew exactly what was wrong. They sent me a new slide and it has never happened again.

I would call Dillon! :cheers:

+1. Had the same thing and a new primer bar fixed it right away.

Another forum littering with:

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.
  • Be sure the plastic tips of all your Primer Pickup Tubes and the plastic tip on the bottom of the Priming Magazine are seated fully against the tubes.

be

• Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.

The angle of the primer slide operating rod (13869) was the fix for me. I have to slightly adjust the Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) by rotating it counter-clockwise to get the correct angle of throw.

• Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

Brian, care to explain more on what's the purpose of why the Bracket (13887) needs to be a few thousandth of an inch above the top frame?

Thanks.

interesting timing...

I've loaded lots and lots of small primer loads, and just last summer started loaded a few lg primer loads, and the slide kept sticking. I tried all the usual fixes. Finally on Monday I realized the cup was hitting/dragging on the tube housing. When placed on a flat surface and compared to a square, I could see the cup/plunger wasn't square. Mt small primer slide was fine.

Called Dillon today and told them it looked like the hole for the cup/plunger wasn't drilled square and he said "that happens from time to time; new one on it's way."

Will post back when I get it, but I'm quite sure that's my problem.

something for you to check.

-rvb

interesting timing...

I've loaded lots and lots of small primer loads, and just last summer started loaded a few lg primer loads, and the slide kept sticking. I tried all the usual fixes. Finally on Monday I realized the cup was hitting/dragging on the tube housing. When placed on a flat surface and compared to a square, I could see the cup/plunger wasn't square. Mt small primer slide was fine.

Called Dillon today and told them it looked like the hole for the cup/plunger wasn't drilled square and he said "that happens from time to time; new one on it's way."

Will post back when I get it, but I'm quite sure that's my problem.

something for you to check.

-rvb

Better description than what I posted before. That was what I had wrong with mine. And it was not very much out of square either. It was just barely noticable but it caused alot of problems.

I also have two 550's. The best fix I found was Powdered Graphite

Lubricant. Bought a bottle about ten years ago. Just dust the primer slide bar every few hundred rounds and it will all but eliminate the problem. It does need to be clean and trash will build up during the loading process. Just brush it off and give it a slight dusting when it starts to stick. I spend a lot less time cleaning and adjusting since I went to Graphite Lubricant.

I also dust the powder slide bar every once in a while or when I'm changing calibers. Been using the same bottle for a long time and it's still 3/4 full. You can find it at any hardware store and some auto supply stores.

Great Stuff!

Bob, Very good advice as well. BUT I was doing the same thing and it still was hanging up. When I called Dillon the rep said, "We'll send you a new one, sounds like it's bent to me". I used to do like you said, clean it off every few hundred rounds, use graphite, run it dry like BE says, blow it out with a compressor, etc. Since putting in the new one I have yet to even clean it out at all. Sometimes a new part is the only answer.

Brian, care to explain more on what's the purpose of why the Bracket (13887) needs to be a few thousandth of an inch above the top frame?

Thanks.

Gary (dillon) told me that over the phone. So maybe he'll enlighten us here.

be