Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have a Kawasaki KLR 650?

Hello: I was wondering if anyone has or had a Kawasaki KLR 650? I am looking at one to replace a couple of motorcycles after I sell them :devil: I am looking for something I can ride a little bit on the street and more on dirt roads etc. Let me know. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

If its going to be primarily dirt roads and a little single track with the points connected by some pavement the KLR is a good pick. Its as reliable as an anvil. I haven't spent a lot of time on one but a buddy has one that he likes pretty well if the trip is staying dirt track oriented, but if there are any stretches of asphalt it gets old in a hurry.

However if you are going to be primarily on pavement with a few dirt roads thrown in you might want to look at a Suzuki Vstrom 650 (Wee Strom).

Great forum at

http://www.advrider.com

Craig: I appreciate the info. The funny thing is I have a 2000 Suzuki SV650 naked :roflol: I am thinking of replacing it with the Kawasaki. The streets around here are not the safest from what I have seen, so I want to go off the beaten path some. The one gun club I shoot at has a long dirt road to it, which would be fun on a dual purpose bike. I also feel better on a dirt bike since I used to race motorcross and race on trails through the woods. Thanks, Eric

I have a big VStrom and love it but I don't get off the road too much just some dirt roads here and there.

If you are mostly going to be on dirts roads the KLR is a blast and with some soft bags (or hard) you can do a little cross country traveling. If you are looking to just play on dirt with a street legal bike that can get you from the house to the fun, don't overlook an XR650L. If you unCalifornia Emissions the motor and exhaust and firm up the suspension you are pretty close to old school desert bike. Muy fun! They can usually be found used for a song and they haven't been changed much for the past 15 years so there are parts and aftermarket support aplenty. Same goes for the KLR. Really can't go wrong with either one.

If I had it to do all over again, I would really consider the KLR. They are a little heavy, but any 650 is going to be over a 200-250 Dual Sport bike. I spend most of my time in cow pastures and in the mountains, so have a 250 Dual Sport. I also think the Triumph Scrambler is WAY COOL! The KLR is a great bike. Heavy enough to feel safe cruising down the road, but you can still hit the sticks. Good suspension, but nothing like a motocross bike. Good Luck.

You won't find a more dependable ride than the KLR. There is a ton of aftermarket products available to modify them any way you like. The KLR is a bit heavy for off road on anything more than dirt roads or fire roads. I up graded mine with a set of progressive front springs and that helped a bunch for a soft front end. I also did a headlight upgrade and a rear rack upgrade. I also ran tires that were more road worthy than dirt because most of my riding was on the road. They worked fine for the little bit of off road riding I did.

I bought one new in '05, for work, and it's been a very good bike. It could use a little more power but it does OK hauling me around(255lbs). I changed the stock seat to a Corbin flat seat and when the stock tires wore out, I started running DOT knobbies and they made a huge difference in performance. Other than that, I have had to just do routine maintenance. Change the oil every 1500 miles and you should be good to go.

EG

Check out KLR650.NET tons of info there.

Edited by ebg3

KTM nuff said :)

The KTM 950SE would be cool...better suspension and almost 100 HP what's not to like? Oh, except the $12,000-$14,000 price tag! :goof: If you shop around, you can get a KLR for $5000 OTD.

EG

KTM nuff said :)

The KTM 950SE would be cool...better suspension and almost 100 HP what's not to like? Oh, except the $12,000-$14,000 price tag! :goof: If you shop around, you can get a KLR for $5000 OTD.

EG

Don't forget the KTM maintenance and repairs $$$$$ (anybody got an extra water pump with them), and the lack of dealer support (both our local dealers just folded), they do rip but they are not a ride it and forget it type of bike.

Hello: There are alot of cool bikes over $10,000 :surprise: I just got my 1974 Honda XL-175 running after a couple of years sitting :cheers: Fun little bike that still looks great. I may let my older son ride it soon. I was 12 when I first road it. I could not even touch the ground while riding it. It has been in the family for 34 years. Now to get the SV650 running. Thanks, Eric

I go to get my 08 KLR tomorrow.

cheers.gif

Oh, no! The mid-life crisis strikes. I think you will like the KLR, a friend has one as an alternative to his big Harley street bike. KLR, in green, is Kermit and the Harley is Miss Piggy. Have fun, stay alert, ride safe.