Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

Let me dig around there is supposed to be a hammer that is heat treated but the guy that told me about it is in the field in Wyo right now watching people drill a deep hole in the ground LOL.

Anyone see any of the utilities on-line for a stupid cheap price as of lately? I need another one so I can try some interesting things with. One of the guys here had a hammer break and CZ fixed it up for him. Later,

Kirk

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope! got some ideas in my head and I'd rather not blow anyone up LOL I'll let ya know if they work but I need to find another shotgun to play with first so don't get in any big hurry. Later,

Kirk

Called CZ at 9:05 am they are going to send me another one. The 1st guy said that he couldn't get it in the mail till tommorow. The second guy said that he would get in the mail right away. I also threw Tom Knapps name out ( he is a close friend of mine). I also asked if this has been a problem with other guns. He said that it wasn't.

Schultz

Yeah CZ customer service is spot on. I dealt with them to get a spare bolt handle and told them what I planned to use it for. They gave me a free one, some free o rings and shipped it all free. Apparently they are doing something right. The demands for their guns is up and the prices are following.

The guy here in town they had him ship his back to them BUT it got fixed. I'll be sure and try to get some more information and write notes as when I'm over at Kurts beer is a given and I seem to forget most things we talk about :eatdrink: Later,

Kirk

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the hammer and put it in. The hammer notch and the trigger notch would not make contact. I called CZ and they asked me to send the old hammer and the broken part back with the new hammer. They said that there were small variances in the hammers. I got the new hammer yesterday and put in and it sems to be working. I will do a live fire with it on sunday.

Schultz

Picked up a new virgin CZ712 Utility last night so I guess it's about time to play HEHEHE THIS time I plan on snapping some pics and who knows maybe a little vid here and there on how we make these things into 3-gun shotguns. Warning though I'm sure there will be some beer bottles in the pics so I hope your not offended but sometimes beer is considered a tool or in some cases just that little bit to push to to say "I can do that"

This project is gonna take a bit as well I'm in pay off credit card mode but we will just see what comes from it. Later,

Kirk

Picked up a new virgin CZ712 Utility last night so I guess it's about time to play HEHEHE THIS time I plan on snapping some pics and who knows maybe a little vid here and there on how we make these things into 3-gun shotguns. Warning though I'm sure there will be some beer bottles in the pics so I hope your not offended but sometimes beer is considered a tool or in some cases just that little bit to push to to say "I can do that"

This project is gonna take a bit as well I'm in pay off credit card mode but we will just see what comes from it. Later,

Kirk

I don't care if there are wine cooler bottles and tiny umbrellas in the background... Git-R-Dun!!! Would love to see pics, vids, whatever you are to share.

Understand on the cc payoff mode. Congrats on the effort towards it!!! Easiest way to make 15% or more on your money is to cut them up!!! (or not carry a balance)

So on your 712 utilities is your piston pretty tight in the barrel. My piston even when clean will stay firm in the barrel sleeve. When dirty takes some force to push it out. After 50 rounds or slightly less I start getting failures to eject and other malfunctions. Oddly enough after cleaning I always get one failure to eject in the first magazine. After that it runs fairly well up to about 50 rounds where I start having frequent problems. About 750 rounds down range. Suggestions?

Are there rough edges on the inside of the piston? May take some 3M red steel wool and go over the inside of the piston and also the action bar. Just get them smooth.

Edited by suesstech

No seems smooth on both the inside of the piston and the action bar. At 750 rounds it is getting toward the end of the probationary period. Its going to have to run more than 50 rounds before cleaning. Yesterday at the 3 gun I launched my mag spring in the woods never to be found in a pour rain. That was after a gosh awful stage where the RO was handing me tools during the course of fire trying to pull out a double feed stoppage. I am prepared to drill, cut or whatever at this point. Would like to get it running but not married to it and not going to live with it all summer. Also trigger work. Anyone got details on how to make the trigger lighter? I have polished with 400 and Flitz with some improvement but not enough. Thanks all. :)

horseman, is your recoil spring stock or cut? gas ports drilled or stock? I can't say enough about how well that red 3-M scotchbrite helps! cool thing is it doesn't take much material off. take the scotchbrite and give the mag tube and piston hell, the mag tube try your best to form a crosshatch type pattern like a cylinder wall in an engine reason being this will give the lube a place to hold and create less friction for the piston to operate. Give it a shot and see what ya think. Later,

Kirk

Thanks Kirk, ports are stock, today I took one coil off the spring. Mag tube is nice and slick. Cleaned up with Flitz real well. Piston seems all right. Is the fairly tight fit in the barrel sleeve normal? And do I need to open ports a bit? And no condensation. Thanks

I ended up at 3 coils off the stock spring. Thing about being all nice a slick if it's more of a polish it will actually cause more friction! reason there is more surface area that the piston has to overcome, the cross hatch pattern I'm talking about makes things smooth but actually has less surface area and a place for the oil to live, oil, less surface area = less friction.

The piston to tube needs to be pretty close so the gasses work like they should, might try the 3 coils and see what happens as you may not have to break out the drill for the ports but if you do it's no big deal, hardest part is getting it thru your mind that you can do it :-)Later,

Kirk

Not a problem! glad to help anytime and if I don't know I can probably find out for ya. I'm lucky to have a couple of dang fine shotgun shooters in my area that are really great folks and help out a bunch so if I can offer the help to others it's that pay it forward thing. Later,

Kirk

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else had a piston come apart? Mine did after about 1000 rounds. Clean brake under the second metal ring. From the carbon it looks like it ran a while after it broke although I don't really see how it could. Anyway it started having ejection problems at around 35 rounds as usual. That piston sure was not very thick under the snap ring.

edit. I have decided to go a different direction. I will get the piston replaced and get the 712 on classifieds this week. Has a Nordic 3 round extension with 1.5 cap which allows 8 in tube.

Edited by horseman

Learned one thing today at a match. My son was shooting his CZ for the first time in several months and hasn't cleaned it or lubed it since the last match. It was very dry and did not want to load or eject shells. It took about five or six rounds manually loading and ejecting shelss to get it lubed up and then it ran fine for the rest of the stage. 32 rounds all together on just that one stage. Took it back to the car and lubed it up good and it ran perfect for the rest of the match, about another 75 rounds or so. He will be cleaning it more regular and keeping it properly lubed.

gerritm

Should have the reduced recoil springs Friday then to some testing! I gotta find me some powder puff loads but the lightest I can find in town are 2 3/4 dram, I have one more place to check to see if they have some of those loads for the pump or O/U shotguns only to see if I can make them work hehe

I've done a little work but just de-burred all the goodies and got rid of that dang plug crap in the mag tube, I did get some pics I'll try to load when I get some spare time seem some reason at work they want me to do something :blink: I just told them I was practicing to be a manager, don't think it went across all that well with my supervisor :devil:

I'm going to test the springs in a stock gas port shotgun just to see how they work and then I have mine with the .015" larger ports, let me know if you fella's might be interested in springs and I'll check with the guy making them to see how much they would cost for some extra's BUT I can tell you the prototypes ain't cheap! but after that they should drop in price, the first 3 is going to cost me $100 but I guess all that crap I don't understand about springs and the stuff I do know about like tooling, set-up yadda yadda. Oh well someones gotta do it right? Later,

Kirk

Should have the reduced recoil springs Friday then to some testing! I gotta find me some powder puff loads but the lightest I can find in town are 2 3/4 dram, I have one more place to check to see if they have some of those loads for the pump or O/U shotguns only to see if I can make them work hehe

I've done a little work but just de-burred all the goodies and got rid of that dang plug crap in the mag tube, I did get some pics I'll try to load when I get some spare time seem some reason at work they want me to do something :blink: I just told them I was practicing to be a manager, don't think it went across all that well with my supervisor :devil:

I'm going to test the springs in a stock gas port shotgun just to see how they work and then I have mine with the .015" larger ports, let me know if you fella's might be interested in springs and I'll check with the guy making them to see how much they would cost for some extra's BUT I can tell you the prototypes ain't cheap! but after that they should drop in price, the first 3 is going to cost me $100 but I guess all that crap I don't understand about springs and the stuff I do know about like tooling, set-up yadda yadda. Oh well someones gotta do it right? Later,

Kirk

We would be interested. I don't like running too light of loads because the plates and star we shoot take some oomph to knock down, but it would be great to know you can and it would be good to be able to run the lighter slug loads.

gerritm