Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice on buying an open gun

grkmec

So, getting an open gun is on my list of to-do's. I know there are a lot great custom builders out there (Bedell, Limcat, Brazos, Millenium, McLearn, Virgil Tripp, SVI, etc.) I would love to get some feedback from people that have owned numerous open guns (2+) and get some compare/contrast commentary.

In terms of timing, I don't need the gun soon or anything as I will be shooting Limited for the rest of the year. So a 6 month wait is no big deal for me. Price will not be a driving factor behind my decision.

In case people are wondering, I am leaning toward 38 super comp in case that makes a difference.

Selecting an Open gun smith and model is a hugely personal decision. What I like, you may not and vice versa.

The best approach is to shoot some that you're interested in. Almost everyone is willing to let you shoot his or her blaster to try it out. You can cover some in a local match but more in a Level 2 or 3 match.

All of the smiths you listed produce quality products as evidenced by the fact that they are still in business and have a backlog of 6 to 12 months.

You may also want to consider a used pistol. I bought both of my Brazos guns from fellow USPSA members. It has allowed me to determine which features and parts that I like. The next one will likely be a full custom build based on what I've learned. I can easily sell the guns for 80% or more of what I paid for them. It's a relatively inexpensive way to get to your own personal definition of the "perfect" Open gun.

I have 2 open guns, an STI with a Caspian comp'd topend and a Infinity with the Tri-bred barrel. They are both in 38 Super and high quality (both were bought used from the classifieds on this site), but my next open gun will be in 9MM. I just returned from an outlaw 3 gun match that I shot with my Infinity and it hurt to leave my 38S brass laying on the ground. I pay between .10 and .15 for each 38S brass compared to about .03-.05 cents for the 9MM.

In most non-USPSA 3 gun matches you need to nuetralize the target with 1 A/B hit or 2 hits anywhere on the target and it doesn't matter if you are major or minor power factor. Also, if you want to win most club matches, you need to shoot alot of Alphas and an Alpha with a minor PF is the same as an Alpha with a major PF.

My 25 year old son shoots a G17/9MM Open gun that he can shoot a 125 PF or a 170PF without changing springs, so he can change the loads depending on the type match he shoots. If you decide to try the 9MM route, find a builder that can build you an open gun that will function in both PF ranges and most of all, HAVE FUN!

Just my .02 worth.

Doug

+1 with XD Niner. I have been thru 6 open guns in 1 1/2 years and now I know enough about open to know what works for me and what does not. I only had to buy two limited guns to get there so open is a little more complicated because of the feel you want the gun to have and some other things. So shoot some find one you fall in love with then get a copy made or buy it.

I have both 9 Major and 38 Super and right now the 9 major is new to me, I am trying it and so far its looking pretty good but I have taliored this rig to exactly what works, and still calling my Super Guns the primaries. As far as brass goes it is a wash Reload Super 10 times or 9 mm once, and the 38 Super is a lot cheaper.

Edited by CocoBolo

So, getting an open gun is on my list of to-do's. I know there are a lot great custom builders out there (Bedell, Limcat, Brazos, Millenium, McLearn, Virgil Tripp, SVI, etc.) I would love to get some feedback from people that have owned numerous open guns (2+) and get some compare/contrast commentary.

In terms of timing, I don't need the gun soon or anything as I will be shooting Limited for the rest of the year. So a 6 month wait is no big deal for me. Price will not be a driving factor behind my decision.

In case people are wondering, I am leaning toward 38 super comp in case that makes a difference.

It always comes down to the same thing: pick what you like and practice. Learning what you like may take a few tries, though, so buying used is a good idea. Other people's input is nice, but it doesn't tell you what works for you. If you search through and read peoples' comparative analyses of parts/setups, it might give you some idea of what direction to head if you have a baseline and can understand the terms being used.

Re: price, it should be a factor. Spend the money on ammunition instead of the gun; it'll make a bigger difference.

I have only owned one open gun but have had time on three different pistols.

1. I hated shooting one with the normal mount, a Quinn mount made a WORLD of difference to me. The dot is there when I come up and out, I had to search with the Allchin mount. But I also shoot limited so therein lies the rub. The 90 degree mount put the sight very close to my normal index point, so the change between guns is minimal.

2. I would go 9mm. My last brass were two cents apiece. I can get 3 reloads out of them. Yes some say that you can get 10 reloads out of 38 super, but how often can you find all your brass? How much time do you want to spend during the match looking for brass while you should be taping, setting steel or thinking about your game?? I use brass that has already been thru the gun at least once (I know it will run) and leave it lay. Even at three cents per I am leaving six bucks on the ground for a 200 round match. If you lost 50 out of 200 38Super at a match at 10 cents per you left 5.00 and had to waste time looking.

3. I would try a used gun first as others have stated. Thats what I did and I'm still fiddling with it to get it just right after 2000 rnds. I figure by the time I retire it I might have an idea of what works best for me and I will still have the mags to use in the new build. I gave 1900.00 for the pistol and 4/170 and 4/140 mags. How would I feel if I had jumped on a new ????? for $4500 and didn't like it?? Because I had no idea what I needed for my style of shooting?

Welcome to the dark side!

Well been shooting Open since 1989? 6 or 7 guns.

1. Pistolsmith is the most important decision.

2. see above

Most other stuff is BS. Or I'll add not that important. Of course you need ambi, beavertail, trigger job etc...

Edited by BSeevers

You need to shoot as many open guns as you can before you buy. Do you want full size? shorty? 9mm, 38 super or super comp etc. Yes 9mm brass is less expensive but with 38 super or SC has more selection in powders for reloading. The recoil impulse is also different on different configurations. Take your time and spend your money one time instead of buying a gun and deciding you don't really like something about it.

I own or have owned SV, Jim Anglin, Brazos and Bedell open guns. They were are very well built and ran flawlessly. Each one was unique in it's own way.

2. see above

Most other stuff is BS. Or I'll add not that important. Of course you need ambi, beavertail, trigger job etc...

Yeah but you hardly shoot any rounds through them.....tongue.gifroflol.gifroflol.gifroflol.gif

IF there is a good open smith in connecticut, buy the pistol from him.

Nothing like having drivable access to your gunsmith, particularly with open and particularly when you are new to open.

I have a few open guns. All the top smith will build a great gun, I recommend Dan Bedell or Matt Cheely. Both build a top notch gun and are patience with stupid questions. Dan has spent time on the phone late at night helping my fix a stupid problem that wasn't even related to the gun and has turn around work extremely quickly. Matt answers all my emails quickly even when they aren't about a gun he built. Both give you a level of attention after the build that makes you feel comfortable that if an issue for any reason comes up, they will help.

2. see above

I bought one of these used guns and love it,,,, :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know it has already been said, but it is true - Try several guns. Ask folks at the range or after a match. Most Open shooters are more than willing to show off thier prized gun.

I purchased a used Open gun first to save money and to make sure I liked it. Well I did...and so did Mama as she took it from me! :surprise:

That was Ok though as it allowed me to get my dream gun from Brazo's. I cannot say enough good things about Brazo's Custom Guns. Along with a GREAT product they are some fantastic people. Emails and phone calls always follow with great advice. And yes...I asked some pretty dumb questions at times but it doesn't seem to matter to them.

Good luck with your shopping. It is a tough thing to figure out but you will find the one that just fits. And when you do just stick with it.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to try Gans Guns I have one which took two weeks to build. It has never jammed and it is 39 Super.

But there are many great gunsmiths Jim from EGW who is now Innovative Custom Guns ,e-mail address jim@innovativecustomguns.com. Dan Bedell,Matt Cheely,Keal Guns and so on. I have a SVI Open gun in 38 super it runs perfectly. But my EGW,Bedell and Gans Gun also are flawless. Take your time and think about your caliber. Good luck

You might want to try Gans Guns I have one which took two weeks to build. It has never jammed and it is 39 Super.

But there are many great gunsmiths Jim from EGW who is now Innovative Custom Guns ,e-mail address jim@innovativecustomguns.com. Dan Bedell,Matt Cheely,Keal Guns and so on. I have a SVI Open gun in 38 super it runs perfectly. But my EGW,Bedell and Gans Gun also are flawless. Take your time and think about your caliber. Good luck

Is that 39 Super a wildcat round???? :roflol:

been shooting open class since 89??? started with a .45 with a barrelweight/comp and went from there...having a gunsmith that is LOCAL is a huge plus as these things are finiky to saythe least, plug an play is best left for x-box and PS-3....for me,like was said before its pretty personal, mine are all now put together from an array of parts that i have come to like(feel) and their performance(not breaking) i did the gunsmith 3 states away thing, and dropping the gun in a fed ex box afterthe match andthen waiting 2 weeks or moreto get it back 'fixed' was a real pain

what i did for one gun, was to slowly accumulate parts for it, so it was less painfull moneywise till the final build, an having the builder 'local' was a plus as it screwed up i could call or drive over and figure outthe probs with him, not overthe phone or email...

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for Dan Bedell...I sent him my Briley El Presidente and he worked on it for me. Got it back in a week, very reasonable prices, superior quality and super nice. My friend has two of his open guns, they run all day long!! I will most certainly buy my next open gun from him!

Regards,

Jan