Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for aging eyes?

drysideshooter

OK riddle me this bat people. I am color blind and cant see red for .............well the life of me.

can I still use red lenses? I have the Rudy "group" but have not tried red for the apparent reason. I love Rudy but Clear seems to be the correct lens for the WA light. At 56 I guess I am just blind colors or not. Do I try the red ?

B

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's nothing!! I use +3.00 Left (Dominant eye), +3.50 Right to correct for far vision. This doesn't quite help me enough for close vision so I use +3.50 in both eyes when shooting. Gets me good enough to see good sight alignment. May try +3.75 in Left sometime.

That's nothing!! I use +3.00 Left (Dominant eye), +3.50 Right to correct for far vision. This doesn't quite help me enough for close vision so I use +3.50 in both eyes when shooting. Gets me good enough to see good sight alignment. May try +3.75 in Left sometime.

Dayum................. and I thought I had it bad with +1.25 -0.50 .090. for my shoooting eye.

I suck !

B

Dayum................. and I thought I had it bad with +1.25 -0.50 .090. for my shoooting eye.

I suck !

B

Well in all fairness... the "correction" needed to get my far vision (with +3.0, +3.5) to see things good close is just over +1. But if I was shooting Open the +3.0/+3.5 would probably work perfect. :unsure:

Bottom line- I think for most of us... our eyes shouldn't be the limiting factor. I'm a high B now in Production and "plan" on getting to A soon. :) It's not the eyes that screw me up...

Edited by lugnut

Just turned 50 myself in December. I was lucky to start out with 20/15 in right and 20/20 in left but now, on a good day, I'm maybe 20/20-20/25 with a very right dominant eye. My real issue is I just don't focus as fast anymore (and being a programmer by profession probably myopic). I was also having issues with finding that green fiber and switched to red which works a lot better for me. I'm usually in the bright Florida sun and I do better with the red fiber wearing Oakley ballistic M frames with gray lens. Indoors though I have to use the clear lens to see the red. Now if I could just move as fast as I did 20+ years ago (and not feel it later) :blink:

OK riddle me this bat people. I am color blind and cant see red for .............well the life of me.

can I still use red lenses? I have the Rudy "group" but have not tried red for the apparent reason. I love Rudy but Clear seems to be the correct lens for the WA light. At 56 I guess I am just blind colors or not. Do I try the red ?

B

Not sure if you have the same color deficiencies that I do but I pick up the red fine with red lenses. Right now I use the Dillon glasses that really seem to sharpen contrast which is huge.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25585/catid/42/Dillon_Optics

Well this sounds like a flagrant Rudy promotion , I suppose it is. I had and have several pairs of Oakley glasses and after using the Rudy glasses I can not be comfortable with the Oks any more.

The quality of the lens in the Rudy has given me about 5 years back on my eyes.

Photo X clear is great. The shooters I show them to can not believe it is a clear lens

coming from Open hand-gun to Iron sights for 3 gun my eyes got and get a work-out , I am only 53 though so being young helps wink.gif

Jamie

I got this info here but do not see anyone talking about it. Here it is and it works. I use my regular shooting glasses and on line bought the stick on bi focal lenses. They go on with water and are used mostly for sunglasses. I tried a few regular bifocals to get the right perscription so that I am focusing on my front sight when in the shooting position. I am right handed and left eye dominant. I placed the stick on bifocal at teh top of my shooting glasses left eye. When standing upright and talking or viewing the range I am looking out of the center of the galsses and can see great. When I pull my head down to get on the sights I am looking thru the bifocal and can facus really well on the front sight. Improved my shooting a lot.

I got this info here but do not see anyone talking about it. Here it is and it works. I use my regular shooting glasses and on line bought the stick on bi focal lenses. They go on with water and are used mostly for sunglasses. I tried a few regular bifocals to get the right perscription so that I am focusing on my front sight when in the shooting position. I am right handed and left eye dominant. I placed the stick on bifocal at teh top of my shooting glasses left eye. When standing upright and talking or viewing the range I am looking out of the center of the galsses and can see great. When I pull my head down to get on the sights I am looking thru the bifocal and can facus really well on the front sight. Improved my shooting a lot.

I was wondering if you had the lens for your dominate eye ground to the focal length of the front sight, and your non dominate lens for distance do you wear these glasses all match long or do you put them on shortly before shooting a stage?

Tim

I was wondering if you had the lens for your dominate eye ground to the focal length of the front sight, and your non dominate lens for distance do you wear these glasses all match long or do you put them on shortly before shooting a stage?

Tim

I wear mine all day. I notice the difference when I first put them on. After about 5 minutes, I forget all about it. They work for driving too. Makes it easier to read the speedo :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic and advice! I'm getting ready to try "hybrid" contacts. Gas-permeable center for sharper vision and soft skirt for comfort. Multifocal lens. I think the brand is called "SynergEyes." I'll let you know how they work. I've worn soft and GP's before (15 years ago). My transition, progressives are giving me trouble now, so I'm trying something a little different.

I have weak vision and wear single vision "computer" glasses when shooting irons. They are perfect for a relaxed focus on the FS. I tried the close focus for dominant eye and distance focus for other eye and just didn't like it. Targets at 25 yds and out are a little blurry but doesn't seem to make any difference in finding them and centering on the A zone. This is good for pistol only, and can be a problem for 3 gun where you use a rifle or SG on the same stage as pistol.

But..... just switched to open and wear my regular bifocals, its waaaaay easier on the eyes. Try it.

Where do you get those stick on's for your glasses? What are the different sizes they come in?

Here is a place online to get them. link

Wally World and other big boxes may have them as well as Wallgreen, CVS. Read the installation instructions on the linked page. It's cheaper if you can find them locally - no shipping.

Although you only need to attach one lens to your dominant lens buy a few of 'em if you find em. Some times they fall off due to to Murphy's Law are are easily lost.

Mike

I know this doesn't apply in your case, but I am in the process of having a Limited gun being built for me. I am going to have a 6" slide over the 5" because of the "over 40 eyes syndrome" becomming more and more apparent. I am doing this at the suggestion of a very accomplished buddy that also shoots USPSA matches. It is funny that one inch can make that much difference, but it certainly appears to be the case.

I can not shoot an Aimpoint that well because while my vision is not that bad, I do have an uncorrected stigmatism, which causes me to see two tiny stacked dots rather than one crisp dot in the sight.

Good Luck,

Gene

As a 60+ senior shooter and physician who has competed in other sports also with colored vision requirements I have these opinions.

For Colors, Folks vary widely in what colors stand out to them and which lenses seem to to do so and so. Main thing is to find a color of lenses that works for you in most conditions and match it to the sight color. There is no doubt in my mind that fiber optic front sights are the way to go.

Paradoxically, for many, a flourescent greenish or yellowish fiber optic front sight does work well with some shades of rose or persimon, even if you are red green color blind which affects about 4% of shooters. For some a light yellow also works. There is no one best brand or color that works for all, you have to try them.

VERY IMPORTANT, Also take into account the fact that you have to "find" the target first, so colors that bring out brown cardboard work especially well. This will be different for different folks but dont forget the faster you see the target the faster your aquisition will be. For me a slightly brownish rose lens with green sights shows sights AND targets well.

For Focus, BB is on the right track. The best solution is an "add" for dominant eye. "Add" in optical lingo actually means to increase the numerical number of the diopter correction (aka a "reading" glass). The optimal solution is to shoot with both eyes open so the target is focused with the non dominant eye in normal correction and the sight is seen with the dominant eye with "add". If you cannot shoot with both eyes open shoot with the add only on your dominant and the targets will just not be as sharp. Many folks have tried the bifocal approach (or upside down bifocal, mostly bullyeye shooters) but I believe you should have your entire field of vision on dominant eye the same correction. This not only increases visual attention but also increases clarity as most opticians will tell you it is easiear to make a perfect lenses with one refraction rather than two (bifocals). Useful adds are between about +1 and +2.5. Less than 1 doesnt help much, more than 2.5 difference in left and right eyes make steroscopic vision difficult

For Open, This solves the focus probelm but not the color problem. Almost all dots are "red". Maybe someone will come up with a flourescent green or yellow someday but now they are red. For most shooters rose or persimon lenses work well with a red dot

Edited by Aloha Robert

• 2 weeks later...

I am 60, and at 50 I did not even need reading glasses. Today I read using +2.25

I basically agree with some others here, with one minor difference. When shooting Limited I select the single-vision glasses that DO NOT put the front sight in sharp focus, but come close.

The reason is simple: if I use my +2.25, then the sight is sharp, alright, but the far targets become WAY too fuzzy, at 10m it is hard to see them, at 15 - forget about it.

So I went for the compromise value of +1.75, which gives me enough focus on the sight, yet allows me to see the targets more clearly.

Alternatively - Open does make a lot of sense. With +1.00 I can see everything in perfect focus.

Edited by Foxbat