Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help: Suggestions for young shooter - Which 22 pistol?

AggieMM

I have decided to introduce my 10 year old to competitive shooting this summer. A local group will start doing weekly after work steel challenge matches (3 stages), and I thought this would be a great way to get my daughter started. I feel steel challenge would be a good introduction due to no movement, no reloads on the clock, starting at low ready (22), etc. We've been shooting a single shot 22 rifle for over a year, and I'm encouraged by her enthusiasm and desire to do more. Obviously, I plan to due lots of range time prior to her first match, but I'm excited to get her started.

My question is what pistol should I get for a youngster? Things I'm looking for are obviously a small grip, but one that is also easy to use, and has a rail on top so that I can mount a small red dot (keeping it fun at this age).

Also, any other thoughts you might have on getting her started would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I started my daughter this year at 10yrs. old. She really enjoys it. We got a Ruger MKIII 22/45.

It is quite accurate and, after about 400-500 rounds, reliable. Not sure how the other 22s operate,

but the safety and slide release on this gun can be hard to actuate and not very ergonomic for small

hands.

Try the safety and slide stop release before you buy.

Hope she enjoys it.

Butch

When my daughter started shooting more seriously she started with a Ruger MKIII 22/45 as well. She's really only had 2 issues with it. First, the bolt can be quite hard to rack if you've got small hands and fingers and not alot of upper body strength. Second, the magazines can be difficult to seat and you really have to give them a good push to ensure they're in all the way. Other that than, we've had no problems with the pistol. It's fed everything we've fed it from CCI mini-mags, to Federal bulk packs, to Federal Auto-Match to cheapo Winchester X-pert. The accuracy is really pretty good too for a 280 dollar pistol. It comes with a rail. If you're going to put a dot on it, stay away from the BSA sight. That was the first one we bought (30 bucks on sale from Midway) and within 2 Federal bulk packs the thing was literally falling apart. I would advise going straight for a C-more. They're considerably more expensive but will last a long time.

Good luck and have fun!! It's awesome getting the kids hooked! B)

Which ever you get make sure it is light, reliable, and put a red dot on it. I say this because I have seen several dads put a 22 conversion on a haevy 1911/2011 frame and the kid could not hold it up for 5 runs in a row. Next I have seen kids quit because they were clearing jams more than shooting, and the red dot makes steel the most fun because they are no longer fearful of those small plates. I have put my old buckmark with a light tactical solutions barrel and cmore in the hands of a 8-10 year old and had to pry it out of their hands at the end of the day.

I started my son at 7 with a 22/45 converted with a Tactical Solutions barrel/upper to lighten it up. As mentioned by others in this thread, retracting the bolt can be very difficult for young folks on the Mark IIIs because of how the bolt ears are shaped. I swapped in a Mark II bolt and added a Power Custom bolt racker which made it pretty easy for him. I was able to use the Mark II bolt as a drop in with the Tactical Solutions upper, but if you go this route with a stock Mark III upper you'll probably have some additional work to do to accommodate or disable the loaded chamber indicator. The other option with the stock Mark III bolt would be to cut a dovetail in it and mount a slide racker - the Power Custom racker for Mark II bolts doesn't work with the Mark III bolt, been there - which is what I did with a 22/45 I built for myself.

The other thing I would suggest for a younger shooter is disabling slide lock back on the empty mag. You can do this very easily by disassembling the magazine and reversing the magazine follower button. The bolt release on the 22/45 can be hard for young shooters, and frankly is a PITA all around even for adults IMO.

Edited by Chris Spiess

I have had good luck with a Beretta NEOS. Although, a little heavy, my daughter has an easier time with racking the slide and the smaller grips assist with a comfortable grip, as she has smallish hands.

With that said, the Rugers are a very nice choice also.

My 8 year old son started with a Sig/Hammerli Trailside and loved it. They are getting harder to find now, but they work great. Now he shoots a Buckmark with a Tac Sol barrel and a C-More and likes it even more. Once in a while I make him shoot open sights just to be sure he stays in practice and doesn't "forget" how to line them up, lol.

My 8 year old son started with a Sig/Hammerli Trailside and loved it. They are getting harder to find now, but they work great. Now he shoots a Buckmark with a Tac Sol barrel and a C-More and likes it even more. Once in a while I make him shoot open sights just to be sure he stays in practice and doesn't "forget" how to line them up, lol.

My vote would be a Ruger 22/45 MK III. It is very reliable and come in many different models.

Hello: I have a Browning Buckmark with a bull barrel. The heavy bull barrel helps the recoil for the little ones. It has been very reliable with Walmart Federal ammo. I started both boys at age of 7 shooting 22's. The older boy is now 11 and the young one is 7. I took the younger one out just last week for the first time. I would get a C-More for the young shooter but switch to iron sights when they turn 9-10. The 11 year old likes the iron sights better. I am looking at the Ruger 22/45 since I only have one 22 pistol and I have 2 boys :roflol: I would go to a couple of matches and see what they are shooting and let your young one try them to see what they like. Thanks, Eric

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a Browning today for my little one to start working. It seemed to fit her hand better than the others (Ruger / Beretta / Walther), so that's what we'll start with. Here's of pic (Cell phone, so a little grainy)

AW_Browning22.jpg

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Ryan

I have owned two Browning Buckmarks, the 5.5 target and 5.5 camper. They are very accurate but I would be concerned about being able to rack the slide back for a little one. My wife has trouble racking it back when the pistol isn't cocked, it just doesn't have enough "purchase" for her to get her fingers on it. If you are looking at a Buckmark I would dry fire it and see if they can pull the slide back. I wish they had some kind of "dog ear" type slide in order to have a little more leverage. The other thing is the safety is very hard to put on and take off. I even have trouble with the safety.

The Buckmarks are great accuracy wise, I just don't think that they are made for little hands/fingers.

• 5 months later...

When it comes to .22 guns for small hands there are several to choose from. However looking down the road toward serious competition there are only 2 choices, the Browning Buckmark, and the Ruger Mk III 22/45. From my local experience with kids and woman who take up shooting, if they get a chance to try out a few guns they will almost exclusively choose the Buckmark. Its grip is smaller than most in the front to back dimension making them easier for small hands to reach the trigger. If not they tend to grow into either gun if given one. My wife opted for the Buckmark when she started shooting pistols also.

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth if you take them to a store to see what they may like to hold there is a 75% chance they will pick a Browning Buckmark. The grip is thinner than a Mk III and shorter front to back than a 22/45 making it easier for little hands to hold. Plus the slide release is a real lever, which is much better for them than the tiny little button of the 22/45. And you can buy one with an alloy barrel direct from Browning (Lite models) or install a TS alloy barrel. The forged aluminum frame of the Buckmark makes it lighter than any Ruger except the 22/45. The magazines are easier to get in properly than the 22/45 or the Mk III.

I have owned two Browning Buckmarks, the 5.5 target and 5.5 camper. They are very accurate but I would be concerned about being able to rack the slide back for a little one. My wife has trouble racking it back when the pistol isn't cocked, it just doesn't have enough "purchase" for her to get her fingers on it. If you are looking at a Buckmark I would dry fire it and see if they can pull the slide back. I wish they had some kind of "dog ear" type slide in order to have a little more leverage. The other thing is the safety is very hard to put on and take off. I even have trouble with the safety.

The Buckmarks are great accuracy wise, I just don't think that they are made for little hands/fingers.

Actually the newer Brownings have dog ears on the slide. Only the older ones don't, but you can fix that by doing a complete swap to the newer slide. The newer one also has some different parts that aid in cleaning the firing pin assembly (no longer pinned to the slide) among other improvements.

• 3 months later...

Actually the newer Brownings have dog ears on the slide. Only the older ones don't, but you can fix that by doing a complete swap to the newer slide. The newer one also has some different parts that aid in cleaning the firing pin assembly (no longer pinned to the slide) among other improvements.

I have also added a slide racker on my open gun by drilling and tapping the meaty part of the slide near the back for a

3/4" aluminum sleeve and a 10/32 stainless hex-head bolt. Seems to work fine and does not affect the balance of the slide. This gun did not have the later "eared" slide and trying to fit one had some trigger set issues so I took it off and put it on my iron sight gun. Might have a new picture of it on the RFC site soon.

Edited by photoracer

• 11 months later...

We milled the "ears" off ours, drilled and tapped the off side and installed a simple round aluminum sleeve over a 10x24 cap screw. Works wonderfully for racking and being on the off side, stays out of the way.

• 4 weeks later...

MY grandson started shooting steel when he was 6 years old, with a neos 22. Prior to that for a year I had him shoot a pellet gun with lead to learn safety and basics. When he was 7 he went from the neos to a ruger MK III 22/45 with a TS barrel and Cmore. The neos was easier for him to chamber but too heavy with the red dot. So we switched to the cmore and he does a great job shooting it now. Yep, know about lead. Thats why I loaded for him and Had him shower after every range session

Edited by bigstick0000