Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex 1-4 scope

TXMXRACER

I just looked it up,,,, the Ret,,, 5.56 looks good,,, but the $1500+ ouch,,,

the Burris,,,, is half that,,

I just got the Burris,, XTR with the Gen 2 Ret,,,for my 308

the Ret looks similar,, I have done the Crony work,, and my drops,, match the RET,,

I like the Lupy,,, on my 5.56 AR,,, but I like the Drops and the Ret to match,,,

SO I'm also keeping my eyes open for a 5.56 scope

Jim

Jimmy,

I think you looked at the Vortex Razor 1-4 which is a FFP scope.

There is another line of scopes from Vortex. The Viper PST series which has a 1-4 version with an illumnated CQB reticle that lists at $499. From playing with it at SHOT it may have the potential to be a significant game changer in the 3 Gun Optic market.

SWFA said not yet. They are hoping for a spring release.

Craig,you saw one at the shot show. If you were in the market would you buy the xtr or wait For the vortex?

Edited by AWLAZS

I just looked it up,,,, the Ret,,, 5.56 looks good,,, but the $1500+ ouch,,,

the Burris,,,, is half that,,

I just got the Burris,, XTR with the Gen 2 Ret,,,for my 308

the Ret looks similar,, I have done the Crony work,, and my drops,, match the RET,,

I like the Lupy,,, on my 5.56 AR,,, but I like the Drops and the Ret to match,,,

SO I'm also keeping my eyes open for a 5.56 scope

Jim

The IOR 1.1x4 and the 1.5x8 are both set up for the 556 with hash marks to 800yds.

I have a friend ( FB3GDQ ) he has one of the 1-4 it is very clear, the retical is very interesting but it is just a little bussy for ME, but I do think it may have a place in certain multi-gun matches. :cheers: MY BAD AFTER POSTING IS REALIZED IT IS A HORUS NOT A VORTEX

Edited by Sudden Death

Jimmy,

I think you looked at the Vortex Razor 1-4 which is a FFP scope.

There is another line of scopes from Vortex. The Viper PST series which has a 1-4 version with an illumnated CQB reticle that lists at $499. From playing with it at SHOT it may have the potential to be a significant game changer in the 3 Gun Optic market.

This... I have one pre ordered and was told a late April release!!?? :(

I really do hope the promised April release for the Vortex scopes happens. They seemed to be a great bunch of folks and by all retailer accounts they are second to none with respect to professional relationships, not to mention their scopes to date have been very well reviewed.

All this points to a good probability of success.

However, the April release date involves a whole line of scopes 4 power ranges with 4 different reticles in both FFP and SFP. That is a lot of product to introduce all at once. My fingers are crossed because my impression was that all three of the Viper PST's offer good utility and value that is needed.

Edited by smokshwn

I was not able to get the scope outside. But the illumination was very bright inside the convention center.

It is not like the Burris. It is a MRAD or MOA crosshair reticle with four quarter circles that illuminate.

I was not able to get the scope outside. But the illumination was very bright inside the convention center.

It is not like the Burris. It is a MRAD or MOA crosshair reticle with four quarter circles that illuminate.

vortex_tmcqmoa_popup.jpg

• 3 months later...

I know all the Adams Arms guys are now running them as well as Whiskey1. I know Whiskey1 has the front focal plane Razor....not sure which one the AA guys are running but I know they will be along in here soon. I don't care for the Star Wars looking reticle in the Razor nor the fact that it is front focal plane. But thats me.

I looked at a demo model of the new rear focal plane Viper at FNH and was really impressed. I liked the MOA reticle. Glass was excellent for a $499 scope. Turrets were pretty sweet too.

I just got to mount up the Razor FFP from Vortex and I am very happy with it. The turrets are sweet. On 1X the entire reticle is placed over the center of the target since it is quite small at that magnification. At 4X it seems to work very well out to as far as we ever shoot 3G rifles. Benelli2 is shooting a Razor now as well. I'd be interested if his experience is the same as mine...BTW, I shot a 1st gen XTR when they were brand new and there is no comparison in the quality of the glass or reticle clarity. I don't know about the 2nd Gen.

Whiskey1

Is there any way you can gets some pics of the reticle on 1 and 4 power on the same object? I was really hoping to check one out at Ironman but I didn't see them in the vendor's tent. Thanks

I've been running a Vortex Razor 1-4 since the IronMan. Although i wouldnt mind seeing the 300yd wire a bit more eye catching, I personally think this is the best thought out reticle out there. I also have a 5-20 & the Razor spotting scope, I am pretty darned impressed. I think we shot ARs out to 500 & I had no issues. I shot the 550 & 720 tgts with the 5-20 & was very pleased. I'll be running this stuff @ the ITRC next which should really be a good test.

• 2 weeks later...