Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7 or 8 round Magazine for SS

Register

do you NEED 8 rounders? No Is it nice to have an extra shot per mag? Absolutely. Im sure there are times when that extra round here and there would equal one less mag change or at least the ability to make up a bad shot and still stick to your reload plans for the stage.

Use your 7s if its all you have. If you can get 8s, then get the 8s

7 round mags would be really tough. 8 is hard enough. You will be at slide lock after almost every array.

Yeah, or worse! Shoot an 8-round array, reload with 7 and you're doing a standing reload to finish a second 8-round array :surprise:

7 round mags would be really tough. 8 is hard enough. You will be at slide lock after almost every array.

Yeah, or worse! Shoot an 8-round array, reload with 7 and you're doing a standing reload to finish a second 8-round array :surprise:

oooooo.... I soooo hate slide lock!

If I picked up a few 8 rounders am I allowed to mix magazines? I thought I read some where that all your magazines had to be the same in SS. What you start with is what you must use.

How are the Wilson ETM 8 round mags? Tried doing a search for good mags and could not find much.

If I picked up a few 8 rounders am I allowed to mix magazines? I thought I read some where that all your magazines had to be the same in SS. What you start with is what you must use.

How are the Wilson ETM 8 round mags? Tried doing a search for good mags and could not find much.

i have never heard of such a rule. i have all the same magazines, but thats just cuz im OCD like that. all my match mags are CMC powermags, but at the LAMR i use the factory mag that came with my gun, then slide it back into my pocket.

You are probably thinking about IDPA and the rule about constant mag capacity for a entire match. In USPSA you can do pretty much anything you want as long as you do not exceed division limits.

LAter,

Chuck

The Wilson ETMs are great mags - if they run 100% in your gun. My Ed Brown loves them, as does my Springfield. My Caspian gun doesn't lock back reliably with them. Chip McCormicks and Tripps run reliably in all my guns.

Before you spend $150-200 on a half dozen good mags, ask around at your club and try a few Wilsons, CMCs, and/or Tripps to see what your gun likes best.

Edited by bbbean

The Wilson ETMs are great mags - if they run 100% in your gun. My Ed Brown loves them, as does my Springfield. My Caspian gun doesn't lock back reliably with them. Chip McCormicks and Tripps run reliably in all my guns.

Before you spend $150-200 on a half dozen good mags, ask around at your club and try a few Wilsons, CMCs, and/or Tripps to see what our gun likes best.

I have the same issue with Wilsons in my S&W 1911. Slide doesn't always lock back, which can be a killer in IDPA. They feed flawlessly so they're great for USPSA. I'm trying Tripps this year, hopefully the metal in the follower helps with the slide lock.

8 round are much better especially with 8 round arrays but 7 rounds can do if need be. The key is to have reliable mags. CMC, Wilson, Tripp etc. Saw one fellow try running the 6 buck gun show special mags and it was just ugly. Numerous feed issues, and one had to be pounded out with a rod.

The rule you are thinking of is an IDPA rule. I use Wilson 8 rounders and Ed Brown's in my Wilson and Tripp 8 rounders in my Nighthawk. Both are excellent mags.

Mike

Edited by mikegot38

• 4 weeks later...

I am new to USPSA and after shooting production I wanted to try SS with a 1911 I have. All my mags are 7 rounders. Will this put me at a disadvantage? Should I just get some 8 rounders?

Depending on the magazines you have, you may be able to change out the follower and spring for an 8 round set. I upgraded my Les Baer mags when I got them.

Wilson Combat has "Magazine conversion kit" for about $10 (Brownells part #965-266-245DF).

Chip McCormick has replacement followers for $10 (Brownels part #207-000-011DF).

+1 on the conversion kits if they work for you. Back when I first started pre 1985 Wilson mags were 7 rounders. When he came up with 8 rounders he sold CK's and we tried them and they worked so everyone switched over. Have been using them ever since.

FWIW

Richard

Fortunately most of the stages my club runs are 8 round friendly as opposes to 6 for revo and 10 for production / L10. When I ran 7 shot mags it became a nightmare of counting under stress for me to keep track. Switched to Wilson 47D's and no longer have an "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" math test.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ah that I were young enough to have focus now that I see the use of it. - A 60 something boomer