Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost savings reloading 9mm

RCB

Search negative for info. I can get WWB 9mm for 26-29 cents per round. What would my cost per round be if I was to reload? My son and I are shooting about 500- 800 rounds per month with that number probably going up in the near future. Any advice greatly appreciated! I have looked into the Dillon machines and it looks like I would spend 7-8 hundred on initial equipment costs...

In 9mm, easily half the cost, probably less. There is alot of initial output and buying in bulk gets the biggest savings. I'm probably around 10-12 cents a piece maybe.

Things to think about:

I never buy less than 3,000 bullets at a time. Usually 10K or more, and the same with primers. I have yet to pay for a single piece of 9mm brass. Just be diligent and pick up more brass than you shoot at every local match. Buy powder in an 8 pound jug.

You can get reloads down close to $100 per thousand this way.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I created an excel file for those truly interested in seeing how much they save on reloading versus factory ammo.

You simply enter the information requested in the highlighted fields and the total cost will be automatically calculated for you at the bottom of the spreadsheet.

To determine your true cost, there are cells for you to enter your accessorial charges like shipping, hazard materials fee, insurance, and tax if you make your component purchases online. There is a row each to input brass, bullet, powder, and primer cost factors.

For powder, enter amount by pound(s) and the spreadsheet will automatically convert it to grains for cost calculation.

I was unable to attach the file to this post but if you're interested, email or PM me and I'll email you a copy.

Depending on which reloader you get, you're start up costs would more likely be closer to $1,000. Maybe even around $1,500 depending on the accessories. I just started and I bought everything at once to get it out of the way. Remember to factor in the costs of bullets, powder, primers, (buy as many as you can afford-they're in short supply), shipping and hazardous shipping charges. And manuals, pick up a couple of reloading manuals. Good luck!!!

I'll echo these guys. I can easily reload 9mm for half the price of Walmart 9mm. Dont be afraid to use lead or moly coated lead bullets to keep your cost down.

Even jacketed is not much more than $6.00 per 50 if you pick range brass and buy all components in bulk. I think my 230gr lead .45 loads and my 124gr CMJ 9's both come in at $5.50 to $6.00. Good thing we don't have to pay ourselves a salary for the time spent reloading.

One of the biggest costs is the press and accessories, but remember, top quality reloading equipment will hold its value, and possibly even increase in value. I recommend that you don't amortize the cost of the equipment over the cost of your loads. For example, I'm pretty sure I could sell my 40 year old single stage RBCS press, and get more than I paid for it. I'm also pretty sure that I could sell my 5 year old Hornady Lock-N-Load AP for more than I paid for that press. In my mind, the press and accessories have really cost me next to nothing since I could sell them tomorrow and cover my initial expenses. More importantly, I've become one of those people who enjoys reloading as an extension of the shooting sports, so the enjoyment from "rolling my own" is still another benefit I derive from my reloading equipment.

I haven't updated the spreadsheet with current component (and corresponding factory load costs), but a year or two ago I calculated my loading time as saving $38-$40 per hour...ironically about the same for 9mm and .223. The .223 was at a much lower round per hour count but the savings were greater.

To be fair, those times did not include sorting, cleaning, and post-cleaning inspection...just size, deprime, trim, swage, neck size, powder drop, bullet seat, and crimp.

I'm new to reloading but a buddy and mine currently reload 9mm. This is what we do and will step it up to bulk buys after we've pumped out a few thousand.

Berrys 147gr 9mm 80$

Magtec Primers 35$

Titegroup Powder 9$

So we pay about 124$ per 1,000, I don't even want to know what a 1,000 147gr bullets cost otherwise. Fun hobby and saves us loads of money.

I'm new to reloading but a buddy and mine currently reload 9mm. This is what we do and will step it up to bulk buys after we've pumped out a few thousand.

Berrys 147gr 9mm 80$

Magtec Primers 35$

Titegroup Powder 9$

So we pay about 124$ per 1,000, I don't even want to know what a 1,000 147gr bullets cost otherwise. Fun hobby and saves us loads of money.

Might I ask where you are getting the 147gr for $80?

Thanks,

Walsh

Get a better bullet (FMJ VS plated) and buy 3,000rnd cases. Precision Delta and Montana Gold are both about $80 per thousand for jacketed 147s this way.

Plated bullets are for guys who dont know how to get components from anyone but Cabelas. :P :P :P

You can save even more and use a lead or moly bullet with Solo1000 under it for outdoor use. The 130gr BlackBulletsInternational moly with 3.7 solo1000 under it is 130pf and feels just as soft as my indoor 147/titegroup load did. Its also almost $30 per thousand cheaper.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I like many others enjoy the process of reloading. You can save money and develop a load that works better in your gun than WWB. I'm paying about $60.00 less per 1000 than the cheapest loaded 9mm ammo I could find. As prices continue to go up you will only save more.

Guys, look into Space Coast Bullets down in Melbourne ,FL. Thay have some outrageous deals on lead bullets. I just picked up 500 40 cal 180 grn TRCN for like $36.

And as for how much money you will save reloading, I asked this same question when I got started, and the answer I got was none, as you will shoot more. I laughed then, but it's true. You won't save any money, it'll cost you more, but you'll shoot ALOT more! :cheers:

Guys, look into Space Coast Bullets down in Melbourne ,FL. Thay have some outrageous deals on lead bullets. I just picked up 500 40 cal 180 grn TRCN for like $36.

And as for how much money you will save reloading, I asked this same question when I got started, and the answer I got was none, as you will shoot more. I laughed then, but it's true. You won't save any money, it'll cost you more, but you'll shoot ALOT more! :cheers:

Missouri Bullet Company has 500ct CFP in .40 cal for $32, and there's a 5% discount code over at thehighroad.org that makes 'em even cheaper. Awesome company, fast shipping, and excellent bullets.