Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for guys shooting IDPA

grkmec

I have a gun with night sights for night matches, indoor matches and matches with low-light stages. They are Champion Bomar style adjustable rear and Novaks serrated ramp front, both with Trijicon lamps without the white outline.

Normally I prefer all black sights, but the night sights are a must for the conditions I listed.

No. Other than making wonderful "gun locator dots" that make it very obvious where is your gun so you can grab it fast in the dark, I'm not the world's biggest night sight fan, frankly. And as an invariable rule, I already know where is my gun so I can grab it in the dark.

Echo - My buddie took one sight picture with a BIG black serrated rear sight and a fiber front and said, "Wow". That says it all, the best sight picture. The fiber front catches the eye but is subtle enough that you can really focus on the black outline for a crisp alignment when you need as much precision as you can get.

I'll be the voice of dissent. For most matches I use fiber optic front and plain rear. Last year I tried tritium (green front w/white outline, yellow rear - no outline) for the indoor nats. I will always use them indoors now. For a long indoor match, or practicing indoors all winter, the night sights are a huge benefit. Got bumped to Master at that match.

I shoot 90% indoor IDPA.

I run a plain bomar black rear, I was ruining a Dawson FO front.

Most matches are poorly lit so the FO would just be black.

Plain black is fine for me in most shooting scenarios but in low light it was taking to long for me to pick it up.

I just recently switched to a trijicon 125 x 200 front. So far I seem to be able to pick it up a little faster. It could just be that I have more confidence with it. Time and more experience will tell.

All my other carry guns have some sort of night sights on them so I figured the change couldn't hurt.

Hope this helps a little.

I just shot a low light / no light match this morning and I ended up using my carry gun with Sevigny Carry with Tritium sights. I normally run a fiber front and black rear sights like a lot in this thread but the low light stages were just dim enough to be a problem with the black sight. Surprisingly the flashlight stages were easier as my light lit up my sights enough to see them. It was my first low light / no light match and it was a good time and I learned quite a bit. I look forward to the next one.

We had a low light / no light practice this morning and instead of breaking out the carry gun with night sights I wanted to see how my normal competition gun with fiber front black rear sights would do. Not too bad it turns out. The low light stuff was a little rough but my index is pretty good and we weren't shooting anything far away so I did fairly well. Flash light stages were much better as long as I got the light up high. It would light up my fiber and I was pretty fast with it.

Shooting in low light is kind of neat as you get a perfect picture of your sight alignment and the target from the muzzle flash. Made it easy to see if I was hitting the zero or not. Now if I could call shots with the lights on regularly I'd be a happy guy.