Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting My First Ipsc Match On Sunday...

PistolPete

Well I'm going to be shooting my very first IPSC match this coming Sunday at the Smith and Wesson Academy. I'm so excited and of course a bit nervous. I have all my gear. I have a Limited .40 SVI so I'll shoot in the Limited division, I have 5 high cap mags, 4 mag holsters, and a ghost holster. I'll be bring 300 rounds of ammo, a few drinks and a lunch. Is there anything else I should bring?

Anything I should know before going?

Any tips are greatly appreciated. I'm not expecting to win or anything like that (yet) but I'm going to go have some fun.

Pete

Relax, and have a good time. Go slow, and watch your muzzle direction and trigger finger. Take a few light snacks, and watch how the other shooters go through the COF. Imitate thier path, but not thier speed. Be safe and have a good time.

Concentrate on safety in all aspects and shooting A's. Make a plan for each stage based on what you are sure you can do and then just go and do it as smoothly as you can. No matter how fast you see others blazing away, only shoot as fast as you can get A's safely and smoothly. Getting sucked in by the speed of others and/or letting something you just saw someone else do change a game plan that you are sure you can execute well can be a disaster for both safety and score reasons. Shoot A's smoothly and safely and you will be on the upside of the curve real soon.

Have a great time. I am sure you will do well.

--

Regards,

Don't forget about proper footwear! Eventhough you won't be running around as if you pants were on fire, good foot wear is important. NO tennis shoes. Hiking boots or cleats are prefered. Second to that would be a "trail running"shoe. Something with some decient luggs. The last thing you want to do in your first match is fall on your ass.

Ahh...the first match. Enjoy it for you only get one "first match". Like the others have stated, be safe and go slow.

You can ask the RO to do a "Coach Thru" on your first stage or two with you if you want. Forget that there are match results and scores. Just go through, shoot it safe and clean. The RO is there to make sure you are safe but they will also assist you through the stage.

The first match jitters can make all of us do silly things. I watched a shooter "holster" into his pocket on his first match after the "hammer down, holster" command. Missed his holster completely and wasn't really aware of it at first.

It happens now and then that a new shooter gets called to shoot a stage first. You can do it if you want but you can also ask to be put down a couple.

Snacks and water are important. Pitch in and help shag brass, tape targets, etc.

And, if you have questions, ask. Don't guess.

Enjoy it and be sure to tell us how you did!

Hi Pete,

The others really have said it all, but I couldn't resist posting.

Just three rules:

1. be safe

2. have fun

3. have fun :P

Don't mind scores, times, whatever. Just shoot the stages in a safe and "slow" pace so that you can build up a "feeling" for the game. And you *will* be nervous so don't try to keep up with anyone but yourself (in any match by the way !).

Have fun and tell us how you liked it !

Don't feel like you have to compete with the better shooters because you will only embarrass yourself. Relax, take your time and shoot. Learn to memorize the COF and stick to your plan. Memorizing where every shot will go and when ito reload is the most important thing you can do right now....besides safety. Shoot 3 or 4 matches and you will be well on your way.

ASK ALOT OF QUESTIONS AND WATCH HOW OTHERS DO IT!!!

Pete

A hat or visor for sun glare and spent flying brass protection. I have seen a burnt eyelid before. A hand towel to wipe hands (duh) :P from sweat and any gun stuff that gets dirty. Its been said but relax shoot slow and safe. If you get all your hits you will above the average new shooter.

You will be tempted to run and gun with the clubs best shooters. You can't. Its like playing your first round of Golf with Tiger and Jacobsen. Shoot your speed and you wil have a good match. Welcome and hope you get the bug and stay.

I assume that you will be shooting INDOOR at the S&W academy.

If so, you will need a good pair of court shoes as all the floors are concrete. Also, wear a baseball hat to prevent brass from bouncing off the walls into your glasses. Some of the ranges in the old building can be cold while the new areas can be much hotter. Clear glasses are much better indoors than any type of tinted ones.

don't go shoot ipsc!! this will only lead to an abyss (full) of fun, excitement, and enjoyment! can your heart take it? be very careful, you might get hooked. then what, another satisfied customer. :D

edited by lynn jones..

well i may have used the wrong verbage :o:ph34r:

Well thank you everyone for your help. As for the jitters I'm very familiar with that. I was the #2 national seed in Martial Arts a few years back so I know all about the good old jitters.

As for equp.- I can't bring a plastic gun (Glock) esp. since I have an SV.

HEHE

As for getting hooked.- Well I watched the area 7 match and got hooked. I didn't even shoot it but just watching I knew what I wanted to do. I then went all out and bought all new gear and had an SV built and all that jazz. So I'm already hooked. HEHE

I'm just so excited to finally be able to shoot a match. It will be indoors at the S&W academy and should be a great time.

Pete :ph34r:

Hello Pete, If you want to really have fun just go for it.

Get it out of your system. Your martial arts skills and concentration

should serve you well. Attack the courses as fast as you can but do

so safely.

Get a good notebook and keep a record of the courses and your

times and hits. Most local matches don't give you a copy of your

scoresheet.

To any new shooter interested in trying USPSA/IPSC, remember that there is already a wealth of information available to assist you.

Some thoughts in no particular order would be:

Get professional training. In Massachusetts for instance we have the Smith & Wesson Academy, offering many fine programs and courses that will truly help you learn the right way. There are also many USPSA champions who offer seminars in person, and this training cannot be beat.

Attend a USPSA Safe Handgun Competitor program. In Massachusetts, our Area 7 Director Rob Boudrie offers these excellent two day programs annually. This program is very well thought out and is constantly refined by the NROI. Contact Rob at: rob@boudrie.com to inquire when the next program in Massachusetts is offered.

Become a member of USPSA, and they will send a copy of the current rule book. Formally called a handbook, it contains a primer on getting started the right way.

Purchase training video tapes or DVDs currently available on the market. Brian Enos offers many, and you can learn many, many good things. At Brian's site you can find Matt Burkett's DVDs (or tapes), which are outstanding.

Purchase and read as many books on the sport as you can find. Some excellent ones are Brian's book, Matt Burkett's Practical Shooting Manual, and J. Michael Plaxco's Shooting from Within.

Read the "Information for New Competitors" on the USPSA website. Larry Harrison has written an excellent article, and other articles offer useful advice as well.

USPSA is a most excellent shooting discipline and you will find so many people that are willing to help and help you navigate all these new things to learn.

As others have said, watch your muzzle, go slow at first, have fun, and be safe!!

Best Regards,

M.A.

Thanks for the tips. I've been doing my research and my practice so I'm not going in blind. I've read Brians book twice along with Matts. I've also purchased all of Matts videos and watched them numerous times and practiced what he recommended. I've also watch the Ron Avery videos. I also shoot local steel matches and bowling pin matches all the time and I've been training with a lot of great shooters so hopefully I'll be ready. I'm very muzzle concious and take pride in being safe. That has and always will be my most important goal in shooting.

Pete

You'll get gitters, Believe me. I've been doing this quite a number of years and without fail, the FIRST stage of every big match I shoot, I get really nervous and a bit shaky (Believe me, when you have TGO or TJ watching you shoot, it's terrifying) But that feeling goes away really quick. As long as you remember to have fun, everything else is gravy.