Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Lawmen VS SA Trophy Match

Victor_R

I'm in the market for a CDP gun for only IDPA but don't know which one to get. My budget is $1500.I would like some advice if possible. I've been eyeing the Trophy Match as I have a TRP already and was told by SA that the only difference between the Trophy Match and TRP was the slide on the Trophy Match has more material taken off of it. I have no experience with STI but hear great things about them. I have three options. I could buy a Trophy Match, buy a Lawmmen or send my SA GI 1911 that I won in a raffle at the IDAHO IDPA state match and send it to SA for custom work. Your help would be much appreciated. O, and if this was the wrong place to put this thread please move it. Thanks for any advice.

ETA= I dont want to use my TRP as it is my carry gun.

Edited by Victor R

Both of those guns have features suitable for the game. The STI has the contingency awards program and a first-name-basis customer service team, and is made 100% in the USA in Georgetown, Texas, God Bless Texas, don't mess with Texas, Texas Hold 'Em, Texas Rangers, One Riot-One Ranger, etc.

I have a Trophy Match and a STI Trojan. I don't think the STI is a better gun. I can feel frame to slide movement in both. The fit of the parts seems about the same to me.

The trophy match is stainless, has an ambi safety and adjustable sights. I replaced the mainspring housing pretty much right out of the box to get rid of the ILS stuff, but you could just replace the guts.

STI's customer service may be good, but Springfield's is very good too. I doubt anyone would claim that STI's was better than Springfield's. Hopefully you don't need it anyway.

STI has contingency, Springfield gives away a lot of guns (you have one).

My guess is that sending in your milspec will cost more than buying either gun, but I'm sure it depends what all you had done. It would also take months.

The springfields can also be harder to find.

I'd say either will be fine, but one isn't clearly better than the other. If you prefer stainless get the trophy match. I bought my Trojan through Brazo's and they will put ambi's, fiber optics, whatever on before they send out the gun. You may want to look into the grips too. The trojan generally comes with skinny grips but brazo's swapped them out for me. Shooter's Connection may too, I don't know. Think about what features you want.

I am not a fan of customizing a less expensive gun when factory options are available. I shoot both an SA Trophy Match in 45 ACP and an STI Trojan in 40 S&W. Both have been highly accurate. I replaced the mainspring housing and innards on the Trophy Match since it came with a fairly heavy trigger pull. I do like the undercut on the frame of the STI Trojan. Both have been excellent performers.

I had an STI Lawman that was sent back to STI three times to get it to run (maybe more). This was the Lawman as built by STI, not one of the earlier non ramped Lone Star arms guns.

What can I say, it went back and forth to STI and the last time I saw it the new owner was sending it back again.

I got the gun back in a relatively short perios of time (a week or so) but it took a few phone calls and discussions with a couple different people to facilitate getting a shipping tag, etc

I have an STI trojan 40 that I like very much and, I have a friend with a 45 trojan that I have shot a little and it seemed fine.

My experience with Springfield armory has been (as related to my XD that kept busting)very very good. I have literaly sent guns to SA and had them returned within 24 hours of their recieving it, this was with a fitted barrel that they used to replace a standard barrel that busted. I have also had some older 1911s with parts whose maker I could not identify and I sent photos via e mail to their gunsmiths and they were able to help me order replacement parts, they have always been cool to me

I like my STI alot. They ususally make great pistols. The only reason I would own an STI single stack 45 would be so I could shoot for contingency money in SS and CDP at all the different levels. If you arent hunting contingency $$ I would probably get which ever one you like more or think is cooler. I really like how I was treated by everyone at springfield armory

The trophy match and TRP are both to heavy stock to compete with.

SA's site say's the Trophy Match weigh's 40oz so I'm hoping that is with the mag. If not then GI rod and custom VZ grips are in order. I have made up my mind and I'm going with the Trophy Match. Thanks to all that responded. Much appreciated.

ETA= I went to SA's site and it is 40oz with empty mag so I'm good to go.

Edited by Victor R

Hello: Look at the STI Spartan. I have one and love it. I saw a new one last week and the fit is still excellent. Just my thoughts. Thanks, Eric

He already said he decided to go with the Springer ;)

When people post "I'm thinking about going with an XYZ", what they're really doing is saying "I'm going with an XYZ, but I want people to support my choice and make me feel better about spending money on it" :lol: I can't recall the last time I saw anybody change their mind on one of these threads. R,

• 3 months later...

I've got a SA Trophy Match, you'll love it.

I have one too, love it. I haven't had any problems with mine and have shot it every Friday night since 2006 (bought an Edge this year though)!

Both of those guns have features suitable for the game. The STI has the contingency awards program and a first-name-basis customer service team, and is made 100% in the USA in Georgetown, Texas, God Bless Texas, don't mess with Texas, Texas Hold 'Em, Texas Rangers, One Riot-One Ranger, etc.

Other than the frame and slide so is the Trophy match. Plus not all STIs are made in Texas, the lawman yes, but not all.

Flip a coin and pick one. Either will do you well. I run a Trophy match in .40.

Hello: Look at the STI Spartan. I have one and love it. I saw a new one last week and the fit is still excellent. Just my thoughts. Thanks, Eric

He already said he decided to go with the Springer ;)

When people post "I'm thinking about going with an XYZ", what they're really doing is saying "I'm going with an XYZ, but I want people to support my choice and make me feel better about spending money on it" :lol: I can't recall the last time I saw anybody change their mind on one of these threads. R,

Good call :ph34r:

I shoot an STI Trojan in 40 S&W, a Dan Wesson PM-9 in 9mm and a SA Trophy Match in 45 ACP. Both the STI and Dw came with excellent factory triggers, and undercut frames. The DW also hade a checkerd front strap and full length sldie rib. In contrast the SA Trophy Match while reliable and accurate required parts replacemt for a good trigger pull - the factory trigger was much less than satisfactory for a gun in it's price range.

I have a TM and it's a great value. The smith that I took it to said that the internals were fit as well as any $2,000 or $3,000 gun he has seen.

Now the bad news... it's heavy. I had to dump the mag well and replace it with a cheap Wilson, replace the grips, MS housing, and guide rod to make the IDPA/USPA weights.

I have a TM and it's a great value. The smith that I took it to said that the internals were fit as well as any $2,000 or $3,000 gun he has seen.

Now the bad news... it's heavy. I had to dump the mag well and replace it with a cheap Wilson, replace the grips, MS housing, and guide rod to make the IDPA/USPA weights.

Mine comes in at 39oz at Area 6 and SS nationals and I've done nothing to remove metal from anything to make it lighter. I've replaced some parts with lighter parts but I still have a TechWell XT and G10 grips.

• 2 weeks later...

Other than the frame and slide so is the Trophy match. Plus not all STIs are made in Texas, the lawman yes, but not all.

All STIs besides the Spartan and the revolver are made in USA.

No Springfields are.

All STIs besides the Spartan and the revolver are made in USA.

No Springfields are.

All Springfields with an NM serial number pefix are made here in the US, N prefix are made in Brazil. I haven't seen one Trophy Match that didn't have a NM prefix.

Rich

Rich