Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Leupold or Millett

Corey

Been doing some research on low power scopes for my upcoming (and finally on order) AR-15. I want something 1-4ish powered for short range use in 3gun and some short range varmint hunting. I've pretty much got it down to these two, but would of course be willing to look at others in the same price range.

Option 1:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/8893/1-12x-Scopes

Option 2:

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/dms/

Who has used either/both of these? As stated, looking for an intro to 3gun scope/close range varmint optic. I don't want to look at something outside the $200-300 range for the time being.

Put yourself in my shoes and pick one :bow:

Edited by Corey

I have the Millett and the adjustments are not repeatable. <_< Also, Leupold = Lifetime Warranty!

If I were to suggest a third it would be Burris. Check out the Timberline series if you have not given them a look.

Good Luck!

Kyle

Cool thread. I have been looking at the Millet myself, but the old man that taught me how to shoot high powered rifle swore by Leupold. I will be following this thread.

How much shadowing do you get using a tube scope like these as a reflex scope at close range?

Edited by Calmwater

Corey

I live just up the road from you(Angola)and I have the Millet mounted on a rifle if you want to check it out.

Are you gonna shoot the classifier match in late March up there? Im planning on coming up for that, maybe we could check it out then if i havent made up my mind yet.

I checked out the Leupold a month or so ago in a shop and it is obviously not a true 1x. I've never owned a Millet either, but have been pretty happy with the Weaver 1-3x.

I guess im not too worried about it being a true 1x. 1.1- maybe even 1.5 shouldnt bother me. just looking for something low powered for closer shots with a bit of magnification power for 100-250ish distances.

Cool thread. I have been looking at the Millet myself, but the old man that taught me how to shoot high powered rifle swore by Leupold. I will be following this thread.

How much shadowing do you get using a tube scope like these as a reflex scope at close range?

Glad i can help myself and you out hopefully :cheers:

Edited by Corey

Thread Drift:

Since you guys mentioned shooting at Angola, I'm there most months, usually RO'ing or scoring or working in some fashion as well as shooting. Introduce yourselves. It's always good to get to know more folks. I'll be at the March 28 classifier. I'll be the big guy shooting the Beretta.

Also, this sunday, 2/28, there is an indoor match in Niles, MI.

-rvb

I have a like new VX-III 1.5-5 matte finish duplex reticle that is in your price range if you are interested. I am using the Accupoint exclusively and this is too nice for someone not to get the use of it. PM me if you are interested. You cannot go wrong with either of the scopes you mentioned, especially for the price.

I don't have any experience with the Leupold other than a 3-9 VXII on one of my hunting rifles, but I went with the Millett for my 3-Gun AR. A friend had one, and I got to shoot it a bunch before buying mine. As has already been said, the Millett is a pretty good scope for the money, and I've been pretty happy with mine. It does have a long-ish eye relief, but I can make it work with the Burris PEPR mount that came from SWFA. Plus I like the 1 MOA dot in the 10 MOA donut. Too bad the illuminated reticle washes out in daylight.

Speaking of SWFA, they have a pretty good price on the scope and Burris mount combo.

If my needs outgrow the scope, and want something better later, I have a 10/22 that the Millett would probably work pretty good on. But for my 1st yr of 3-gunning, I think it's gonna work out just fine. Now if I happened to come across a Burris XTR on a prize table someday...

Edited by 2MoreChains

Thread Drift:

Since you guys mentioned shooting at Angola, I'm there most months, usually RO'ing or scoring or working in some fashion as well as shooting. Introduce yourselves. It's always good to get to know more folks. I'll be at the March 28 classifier. I'll be the big guy shooting the Beretta.

Also, this sunday, 2/28, there is an indoor match in Niles, MI.

-rvb

Ill be there too :cheers: Prolly will be 'wearing a black polo and shooting a Colt 1911.

As for my options, ive grown up with Leupold all around me and i know the quality, but the reticle of the Millett is very intriging to me...

I have sold over 20 pieces of DMS scopes here in Europe and got 5 back for warrenty

problems where

Reticle came loose and turned 25 degrees in the scope

2x turrets that came completely off the scope

2x extremely much fog inside the scope

When the Company was still owned by Betty it was good doiing bussines ,now that its sold to Bushnell and the warrenty runs trough Bushnell europe (France) the service sucks .

I had a return time from 13 months on 2 scopes :angry2: and they hardly respond to mail. The other customers i gave a refund and i throwed the scopes in the trashcan

I do not know about US Customer service on Millet ,but i would take the Leupold over a DMS anytime

That beiing said ,save some money and do it right the first time ,iff you take the Meopta K-dot you have a very good scope and no need off a secondary sight at all

Edited by patrickbeijer

I don’t have experience with the VX your looking at but I have the Leupold 1.5-5 w/SPR retical and the Millett and the Burris XTR.

Millett- Its a $200.00 scope plan accordingly.

Burris XTR- Its a $200.00 scope for $550.00, plan accordingly.

Leupold 1.5-5- Its a $600.00 scope that has good quality (IMO). I wish the recical had better hold over hash marks but overall a good scope.

Might want to check out the horus vision talon. I got this one on order. Has some very nice features with the H50 reticle.

Run throught the demo... might suprise you @ what you can do with it.

www.horusvision.com

I have a Leupold 1-4 VX-II. Corey, Ill bring it up this weekend and you can check out my rig Saturday night before we crash out to head to Niles in the morning.

i coudlnt remember what you had, i thought it was the same Leupold Im lookin at...

bring that bad boy on up, i wanna see your new setup anyway :cheers:

Edited by Corey

As a transplanted Hoosier (Wabash), I would advise you to stay away from the Millett. I have one. It's heavy, and it feels like looking through a paper towel cardboard tube. What I really don't like it that it has a very small eye box, especially at 4x. If your eye isn't in just the right spot, the view goes black. That = slow! IMHO it's a $50 scope, for $200!

The Weaver 1-3x has been mentioned. I have several and I think it is one of the best entry level scopes around.

Leupold has good optics, but can have their problems sometimes. Some people think they have relied on their good reputation and let quality and innovation slide. I couldn't say, but I like the Leupolds I have, although my Mark 4 needs to be sent back for some warranty work. Which is probably the best feature of Leupolds - great customer service!

There was a post awhile back where a guy had a custom reticle put in a leupold. It was a pretty good write up and I thought it was affordable but I don't remember. He may have even used a VX-1. I tried teh new search but had no luck.

Anyway, if I was buying a leupold I would find that post first.

My Mark 4 is a 3.5-10x M3, TMR. I had it on a DPMS LR308 and was having accuracy problems. It wanted to shoot 2 groups about 3" apart. At first I thought it was the new rifle and called DPMS. They suggested that before I send it in that I try a different scope. So I put on a new Super Sniper 20x and problem solved. It started putting them all in one nice group. So, being a retired LEO, I determined that was a clue!

I still have an accuracy problem with the LR308: it shoots the cheap 150 gr. Federal NATO milspec blasting ammo (steel jacket bullets) better than Lake City 168 gr. Match. Go figure!

Don't forget you can order direct from Leupold and get a custom retical if you have your load data. It doesn't add much to the $ of the scope, but it is made just for you. Not sure of the turn around time....

edit to add...

just read another post mentioning this... sorry

Link to Custom Shop

Edited by HS101