Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forward Mounted Slide Racker?

DyNo!

The person who built my open gun did not believe in slide rackers and built it with the rear top portion of the slide machined off.

I'm about to get a 90 degree C-more mount and I would like to add a slide racker to the right side (I am right handed).

Is it possible to dovetail the area in front of the locking lugs for a slide racker?

Would it be wise to?

Edited by DyNo!

Depending upon how deep the scalloped area is, you still may be able to cut a dovetail in the scalloped area and not get into the firing pin tunnel. Post a picture.

Darren

PS: Does the scalloped cut get into the rear cocking serrations?

Edited by ExtremeShot

Radius the firing pin block and it will make it easier to rack the slide, cut some flip. I don't run one and the only disadvantage I see is on unloaded starts and I might be at a loss of 1/4 second. I run Quinns on my guns.

Putting a slide racker out front will need to allow for the travel distance of the slide. Tray racking the gun from the front and you will see what I am talking about.

Disadvantages - Especially in winter, hangs on clothing. Extra weight on slide. Comes lose falls off have to hunt for it. Extra time cleaning gun, have to remove slide racker and put it back on.

Disadvantages - Especially in winter, hangs on clothing. Extra weight on slide. Comes lose falls off have to hunt for it. Extra time cleaning gun, have to remove slide racker and put it back on.

Extra weight? Sure maybe a half ounce, if that. Get a titanium slide racker if your worried about weight. And if your slide racker is continually falling off, you're doing something wrong. Detents are nice, but I prefer an Allen screw to lock it on.

Edited by Chris Keen

Ball detent on the racker fixes most of that ;) But, yeah, the racker coming loose is a PITA, if you have that problem...

I built mine super light to mitigate the weight on the slide. We do everything we can to make the slide as light as we can then hang a big honking piece of steel on it.... never made sense to me. Also, with the lower mass it doesn't want to loosen up like the heavier ones.

Edited by JThompson

I have a Quinn mount and a Quinn slide racker on my gun. You can't tell the difference between it and the sidewinder that was on it before the scope mount was changed. Actually the Quinn racker is lighter than the Sidewinder. The Quinn is on the left side like the original racker.

The top of my slide was milled down too, still managed to get thedove tail cut and Quinn racker installed. Not as deep as I would have liked from the looks standpoint, but totally functional.

I tried running the gun without the racker after changing ti the Quinn II mount and I found it very hard on the fingers.

FWIW

take out your firing pin and see how much material you have above the firing pin channel and the top of the scalloped area, and see if it even feasible to put a slide racker in the back, with out compromising the integrity of the steel, or messing up the firing pin channel. I believe I have seen somewhere, where they had a racker attached to the firing pin stop, but I may be mistaken. you could put a slide racker in the front, to me it would lood kinda funny, but it can be done

Good luck.