Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stephen Hunter's new book

:mellow: Maybe I'll try picking it up again...maybe. Got through 50-60 pages a couple weeks ago. Lost interest. For some reason the authors "grasp" of the art feels more like "Guns and Ammo" than good fiction. But, that's just me.

Jim

I need to read that! Aside from the few mistakes in the movie (things only the shooting world would pick up on), it's one of those flicks that is just as good every time you watch it.

"You don't understand, these people killed my dog."

That was one of the best lines for sure :D . Along with telling the "dog sitter" to read him some ballistic tables if he got lonesome looking :( .

I have the movie, I must have watched it 50 times, I didn't know their was books I will have to check into them. :cheers:

I actually haven't seen the movie, but it's based mostly off of Point of Impact from everything I've heard...great book. I read it in two days. R,

Stephen Hunter was on Shooting Gallery this week. Seems he thinks "Point of Impact" is the book he's written that most people think is his best. Anyone agree?

Yeah, I think so. I read it in two days, my girlfiend at the time read it in about the same, then I loaned it to a guy at work and he read it over a weekend and said his wife started reading it immediately after him and I had it back later that week. Neither woman was really into guns, but they said it didn't matter. R,

Stephen Hunter was on Shooting Gallery this week. Seems he thinks "Point of Impact" is the book he's written that most people think is his best. Anyone agree?

Well, it sure isn't "I, Sniper." If you noticed, Hunter was re-loading with his finger in the trigger guard during that show. Hard to take him seriously as a "gun expert" after seeing that.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Just finished reading it. It was very poorly written and seems that it was rushed out. Can't believe Michael Bane lent his name to it. Point of Impact was Hunter's best book. His other books are just variations of the same theme, i.e., he is a one-trick pony, and the books (to me) get progressively worse.

I'm waiting for "I, Sniper" to come out in paperback so I can pick it up and complete my Bob Lee Swagger collection. Point Of Impact is still my favorite-I think it really caught the "feel" of Clinton-era America, and got the gun stuff right, too. 47th Samurai was far-fetched, but I liked it anyway. I'm waiting for Susan Okada to show up again-she was an interesting character.

Generally like Hunter's writing style-I find it very "visual"; in other words, it's easy to imagine the scenes he writes playing out on film.

Saw a History Channel show on snipers with some clips of Gy. Sgt. Carlos Hathcock-as soon as he spoke I thought, "that's what Bob Lee would say".

I read it, really liked it, it was my first Bob Lee Swagger book, now have all read all the other Bob Lee books. (please see profile, easily gets obsessed by books etc.) I also read Master Sniper (bought it by accident), and am going to do the rest of his books after I finish Burkett and Benos' books.

Gene

I read it, really liked it, it was my first Bob Lee Swagger book, now have all read all the other Bob Lee books. (please see profile, easily gets obsessed by books etc.) I also read Master Sniper (bought it by accident), and am going to do the rest of his books after I finish Burkett and Benos' books.

Gene

OH YEA.....Did anyone read the first one, then see the movie, then wonder how they could possibly be the same story? (Shooter/Point of Impact)

Gene

Reacher is the character in the novels by Lee Child. They're really good, too.

GUYS (and GALS): What!?, no more commentary on or fans of Dirty White Boys!? That's GOTTA be Hunter's best!

Edited by cryptoprocta

i, Sniper was . . .less than stellar for me.

Point of Impact remains my favorite from him.

This recent book felt rushed, and the storyline - it wasn't unpredictable.

J

I just finished I Sniper and have read all the other BLS books. This was definitely not Hunter's best but it was okay. Too many cutesy plot cliches. I'd give it 3 of 5 stars.

Edited by XD Niner