Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Occasional HOT rounds

RangerTrace

Trace and I spoke about this load before he tried it, and it's largely what I load for major matches.  For practice I substitute various less expensive bullets, but is otherwise the same.  I have tried it in many, many guns and not run into a problem with the bullets hitting the rifling, and I've never had random hot rounds with it.  I've got hundreds of rounds of it over the chronograph to support that as well, so I'm thinking it's a random oddball case.  

I found one of these in a batch of brass and noticed something was wrong.  I look at the powder as I set the bullet down on the case and the level was too high, so I stopped and investigated...oddball stepped brass case that I'm sure would have caused a jump in pressure, velocity, noise and recoil.  I believe Trace said the brass was once-fired, but mixed, so anything could have snuck in there.  I've also seen some really odd cases used for simunition rounds as well...another possibility.

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

IMG_5218.JPG

My suggestion is to use only one brand of brass, this removes a lot of the problems associated with using "mixed" brass.  Just sort all you have and pick one to use.  It's usually pretty easy to trade the rest for the brand you pick with shooting buddies or at a local gun club.

3 hours ago, G-ManBart said:

Trace and I spoke about this load before he tried it, and it's largely what I load for major matches.  For practice I substitute various less expensive bullets, but is otherwise the same.  I have tried it in many, many guns and not run into a problem with the bullets hitting the rifling, and I've never had random hot rounds with it.  I've got hundreds of rounds of it over the chronograph to support that as well, so I'm thinking it's a random oddball case.  

Although you may be correct what does running it in your gun(s) do for him? I run my 147gr load with an OAL of 1.15 in many firearms but that doesn't mean it will work in a CZ or PPQ. It's quite simple actually. We can guess until the cows come home but until he starts eliminating potential causes (like doing the push test) and provides us with more information we're just throwing darts.

Edited by 4n2t0

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned already is you might be getting powder bridging from static buildup.

First, ground your press. It's cheap, it's easy, and it can save you some grief.

Next, regularly inspect and clean all powder handling components. Finish the cleaning by applying an anti-static spray to all feed and drop paths the powder touches or rub down the areas with a new dryer sheet.

Finally, ensure you visually verify the powder level in each and every case before a bullet goes on top. Even if you have a cop die or level alarm, those are backup safeties for your eyeballs.

1 hour ago, Absocold said:

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned already is you might be getting powder bridging from static buildup.

First, ground your press. It's cheap, it's easy, and it can save you some grief.

Next, regularly inspect and clean all powder handling components. Finish the cleaning by applying an anti-static spray to all feed and drop paths the powder touches or rub down the areas with a new dryer sheet.

Finally, ensure you visually verify the powder level in each and every case before a bullet goes on top. Even if you have a cop die or level alarm, those are backup safeties for your eyeballs.

No doubt there is some static going on in my powder holder because some of the powder sticks even when i try to empty it at the end of the session.  Another thing that could be the issue, is that the majority of my cases are brass, but there are a very few nickel cases mixed in.  Keep in mind this is once fired LE brass, so some guy dumped his duty rounds.  I guess it's possible that the nickel cases are thicker and giving me the sound/feel of a hot round.  The ratio of brass to nickel is definitely close to the amount of hot rounds I've experienced.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:27 AM, RangerTrace said:

That makes sense.  I guess I understand the need for this if you are wanting to load longer than SAMMI specs, but as long as your within specs, shouldn't you be ok?  Meaning 1.125" isn't long and works in my non-1911 guns as well.

Fairly common topic which also had me asking questions early on. If you spend some time reading up on this or any other reloading forum it will become apparent that there are many barrel/bullet combinations that don't allow loading to anywhere near SAMMI spec max length of 1.169.

You can always beg/borrow/buy a throat reamer or have a gunsmith do it and then you can load out as far as is at all practical based upon the case and bullet, SAMMI spec be damned!

Edited by ddc

2 hours ago, ddc said:

You can always beg/borrow/buy a throat reamer or have a gunsmith do it and then you can load out as far as is at all practical based upon the case and bullet, SAMMI spec be damned!

...but only if the barrel isn’t hardened. M&P, XD, Walther, and Glock all run a hardened barrel that will ruin a reamer in the first couple of turns.

Most 1911 barrels and my Apex M&P match barrel cut like butter.

Mystery solved and i win the DA award of the month.  All of my brass is once fired LE brass and there are always unfired practice rounds in the brass.  Rather than throw them away or put them in a separate ammo can, I've been tossing them in the ammo can for my reloaded ammo.  I figured it out during a rare live fire session today.......thanks for all the ideas and advice.  

IMG_3901.JPG

21 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

LMAO, that's priceless. Thank you for being man enough to share that with us.

Cheers!

Oh I was tempted to just send Sarge a PM, but I thought you all might get a kick out of my failure.  Had a retired Delta Operator on the range to confirm the obvious difference in report....