Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else having issues loading full mag (colt design) on closed bolt?

2 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

I have 2 rifles that use the colt design 9mm mag.  Both require a lot of force to load a full 30 rnd mag on a closed bolt. 

Anyone else have this issue and if so, what suggestions do you have?

Everybody does. Download a lot and put a rubber bumper on the end or something. Try searching for it on here. Been discussed a lot.

Yes....I have two rigs based on Colt lowers and one on a Glock. I like how the Colt guns “feel”. But the Glock rig reloads much easier and faster than the Colt rigs do.

I try and look up the classifier for the match I will be shooting and if it has a mandatory reload, I take the Glock rig.

1 minute ago, BigBamBoo said:

Yes....I have two rigs based on Colt lowers and one on a Glock. I like how the Colt guns “feel”. But the Glock rig reloads much easier and faster than the Colt rigs do.

I try and look up the classifier for the match I will be shooting and if it has a mandatory reload, I take the Glock rig.

Good compromise B3

Getting a mag splice/extension will allow you to down load to say 40 rounds...or more depending on the extension....and that will help mitigate the lose of rounds in mag.

I use a 32 spliced with a 10 rounder using the Taccom spice. This gives me 45 max load so if I have to do a reload I start with a 32 rounder downloaded and then slap in the big stick. 

48 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

Appreciate the feedback Sarge (and I realize that you are only the messenger) however if I need to download to less than ~30 rounds then the Glock PCC configuration becomes more enticing....all other  things being equal

I would only worry about reloads for classifiers. Download them way way down. Put extensions on any platform and you can get over 40 rounds pretty easily. Shouldn’t have to reload for typical stages.

i also took the corner off of the lower edge of the mag catch. i feel like this smoothed out the big "bump in the road" feeling of reloading a colt mag on a closed bolt. and it's the top aspect of the catch that retains the mag so i didn't degrade the catch's ability to hold mags in.

It does require a decent amount of force ... but it can be done.  Like others have said, buy the mag bumpers and practice.  

Get in the habit of keeping an empty mag in your range bag.  You'll load it with enough rounds to handle classifier and regular stage reloads.

Mag changes are part of the game ... practice practice. 

Downloading mags isn't a problem, because you should only need to do so for mags on your belt meant for mandatory reloads, which you shouldn't need full anyway.

At Make Ready, load your full big stick to an open bolt.

Edited by mahamoti

I used to have problems loading Colt mags on a closed bolt.  On one of my uppers, I had to modify the lips on some of my mags to clear the bolt properly on insertion.  Upon inspection and trial and error, I found that if the mag was loaded to an odd number of rounds, it could be loaded on a closed bolt.  So I figured the bolt was the problem to hard loading when loading an even number of rounds.

Yesterday I was at a match with a fellow that had been shooting SMGs for longer than I could believe.  When I mentioned the odd/even loading causing a problem with the bolt, he told me the real reason.  If you look at the mag catch hole with an odd/even number of rounds, you will see that the rounds stack differently at the mag catch hole.  Even rounds interfere with the mag catch and odd rounds allow the mag catch to seat the mag.  That is why you sometimes hear of loading the mag down multiple rounds and still having problems.

So, for me, loading mags to an odd number of rounds has completely solved my loading on a closed bolt. :D

If you load an odd number of rounds into a magazine and insert it into the rifle with the bolt open, you'll overinsert the magazine.  For me, stages like classifiers get 10-round magazines.  If I know I'm going to be short during a stage, the 10-rounders are easier to work with and don't pull my pants down when I'm running.  YMMV.

Going to try the loading an odd number of rounds and see if that helps.  With unloaded table starts I can’t load with bolt closed without getting a yard sale (shit everywhere).  Double feeds, rounds flying out the ejection port?.  Loading with an open bolt or with a 32 rnd mag half full; 100% reliability.  

Just fyi, this is a problem with OEM Colt 9mm rifles too. I have an older 1995 era Colt 6450 and new 6951, and closed bolt loads are much easier when subtracting two rounds from max capacity on the 32s and 20s. I am doing a build with a CMMG lower so it will be interesting to see how that behaves...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk