Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have had it! Done with it...

Been balancing the desire/need for a reliable progressive all summer. Open pistol parts to buy, PCC parts and then ammo to feed my workhorse CO pistol.

Lee loadmaster about 9,000 Rds ago and the flipped primer issue is a nightmare with mixed brass. Heck, I can fix ANYTHING! Even the crack of dawn and a broken heart. But I can't fix the design flaws in the Lee. For small batches of same brass, it is decent.

So, a Monster energy drink and a $3 scratch off fixed that yesterday!

XL 650 . Adding the shell plate bearing, index block bearing mod, Frankford Arsenal primer tube feeder, and a starlight led light setup.

What am I missing to make the 650 as reliable as possible. 

I want to shoot, not reload!

Sounds like you should be there. I have run one for a few years now (got it used) and didn't really have to do anything to make it run great. The only issue that I worked on immediately was  the means of attaching some tubing to the empty primer discharge to collect them below the press.

You will find yourself wondering why you didn't purchase one much earlier.  I have sure enjoyed mine (have been using a 650 for about 6 years now).  

The Dillon Allen wrenches that attach to the press sure get a lot of use in my reloading room as well.  

Case feeder will be upfront as well. Going have to quit the Monster habit and get a few more scratch offs for the bullet feeder.

I am hoping this imvestment limits my time in the reloading room. The Lee was killing me.

How does the Dillon priming system handle mixed 9mm brass? I do try to remove all crimped pocket brass though.

Just now, Broncman said:

Case feeder will be upfront as well. Going have to quit the Monster habit and get a few more scratch offs for the bullet feeder.

I am hoping this imvestment limits my time in the reloading room. The Lee was killing me.

How does the Dillon priming system handle mixed 9mm brass? I do try to remove all crimped pocket brass though.

I never had any problems with my 650 on mixed 9mm brass.  You'll be able to feel the crimped primer pockets when you push the handle forward to seat the primer.  When you feel resistance, just ease back and remove that case.

If you're loading 9 major, you'll want to inspect the headstamps before loading. Not that you can't use mixed brass, it's just that certain brass are best separated out. I put all NATO brass in a separate jug then either give them to a buddy with a 1050, or run them through my Super Swage (I just give them to the buddy, don't want to screw around with crimped primer pockets). Then I put IMT, Ammoload, and certain FM headstamps in the recycle bucket. The stepped case and 9 major don't mix so well. I also toss oddball headstamps into the bucket. If I don't recognize it, I don't use it. It also gives me a chance to weed out the 9mm Makarov cases out of the mix (my shell sorter doesn't catch those) as well as split cases. I've loaded north of 200K and other than minor parts breaking, it's been more than satisfactory. I'm like you, I hate reloading so anything that speeds it up is a positive in my book.

Depending on your bench, dont forget a strong mount, lots of bins and a roller handle, also instead of going to Uniqtek for a foam pad for the roller handle, go to Walgreens and get a foam pad for a walking cane.  You should be good to go but Unitek has some other goodies that you may want to add to your 650 now instead of waiting like I did.

I think the wrench kit and tool holder is invaluable to the operation of the press. The allen keys and open end wrench are right there on the press where you need them and they are the correct size for all of the hex heads. I would skip the Strong Mount and instead buy an Inline Fab Ultramount, roller lever, light kit, and primer tube rack.

Uniqtek has some pretty good accessories. I bought a simple folded aluminum chute extension and then ordered an extra large bin from Amazon for $8. The new large bin sits flat on my bench next to the press and holds at least 600 rounds of loaded 9mm.

Short of the addition of a bullet feeder, I think this will optimize your time spent in front of the press. You should be able to casually knock out 600rds of loaded ammo (not including brass prep) in about two hours.

Blue never dies. I've been running a 550 since 1986, and a SD since 2001. Brass to throw away is Freedom Munitions, IMT, AmmoLoad and MaxxTech. They all use a stepped case, which can separate during firing, leaving a brass sleeve in the chamber and a dead gun. Also because these cases don't have the standard 9mm volume, published loads are no good. I don't separate head stamps, but just inspect them as I go because it's all a manual process.

image37741.jpg

Edited by 9x45

The press is already reliable - but how reliable will depend a lot on how securely it is mounted to the bench and how sturdy to bench is.  In other words, make it rock solid for best results. My bench is over 1.5" thick (2 pieces of 3/4 plywood glued and screwed together, plus a 1/4" piece of hard board on top), plus I have a 1/4" steel plate underneath the bench where the press mounts.  The bench is bolted to the wall.  

14 hours ago, Banacek said:

Depending on your bench, dont forget a strong mount, lots of bins and a roller handle

Don't know your age, but a roller handle is a must to save on arm and shoulder ware. Great decision and good luck.

I hate to say it but I was in the opposite camp with the 650. I hated it and went back to the loadmaster until I got a wild hair up my ass and bought a 1050. If you really want to shoot instead of reload, get the 1050! There was not that much difference in price once you added up the case feeder and dies to the cost of the 650. There is really no comparison between the 2, they are totally different machines. I added a Mr. Bullet Feeder to mine and can easily load 1500 rounds and hour. Just my opinion.

Edited by levellinebrad

54 minutes ago, levellinebrad said:

I hate to say it but I was in the opposite camp with the 650. I hated it and went back to the loadmaster until I got a wild hair up my ass and bought a 1050. If you really want to shoot instead of reload, get the 1050! There was not that much difference in price once you added up the case feeder and dies to the cost of the 650. There is really no comparison between the 2, they are totally different machines. I added a Mr. Bullet Feeder to mine and can easily load 1500 rounds and hour. Just my opinion.

What problems did you have with the 650? I have replaced everything but the carrier head on the Lee and done every mod possible to the primer system. It is just not reliable for priming.

Interested to see what issues you had?

If the Loadmaster fits your needs, other than priming, just throw all the priming parts in the trash and prime by hand.  I do batches and that way you can prime any time, watching TV is when I do most of it.  I've got three Pro 1000s and they work great with no priming gear on them.

I don't shoot as much as I once did so went to the Pro 1Ks.  

I deprime, stainless pin and prime, that way I have clean, primed brass any time I feel like completing the loading process.  Also, it helps to have thousands of cases of the calibers you mostly shoot.

4 hours ago, Broncman said:

What problems did you have with the 650? I have replaced everything but the carrier head on the Lee and done every mod possible to the primer system. It is just not reliable for priming.

Interested to see what issues you had?

I hated the priming system worse than the Lee plus I didn't buy the case feeder so loading cases was a pain. The 650 was definitely a better, smoother machine but wasn't worth the money for me. After loading on a 1050 however, I doubt that I could go back to the lee.

10 hours ago, levellinebrad said:

There was not that much difference in price once you added up the case feeder and dies to the cost of the 650. 

About $1000 not counting the dies, you must be buying some expensive dies. ;)

Details? Flipping primers or filling he tubes? The primer issue is why I am changing. I do too many to hand primer...
I have had zero issues with the priming system. None. It isn't adjustable like the 1050 but if you are a consistent handle puller it is consistent. Use a bit if case lube even though you don't have to, it makes a difference.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, cas said:

About $1000 not counting the dies, you must be buying some expensive dies. ;)

It's about an $832 difference once you add the dies, roller handle, case feeder and strong mount to the 650. It was worth it to me. If the op really wants to load ammo as easily as possible, you can't beat the 1050. 

2 hours ago, levellinebrad said:

It's about an $832 difference once you add the dies, roller handle, case feeder and strong mount to the 650. It was worth it to me. If the op really wants to load ammo as easily as possible, you can't beat the 1050. 

I have six tool heads for my 650. Now what's the price difference? :lol:

If you haven't purchased the 650 yet, look hard at that 1050. While my loaded round count per hour didn't increase much going from 650 to 1050, the ammo is MUCH more consistent, and its just an easier press to operate. Priming on the downstroke is a major win on the 1050 vs on the upstroke of the 650, and having a separate flare station on the 1050 vs on the powder station on the 650.

Both are great presses, but the 1050 was worth the extra cost and would have saved me a bit of cash if I had just purchased the 1050 off the bat. The only time I'd suggest the 650 over the 1050 is if you're loading for a lot of calibers (caliber conversions and extra toolheads are expensive for the 1050), or if you are not loading all that much ammo in general.

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2017 at 1:30 PM, wgj3 said:

Sounds like you should be there. I have run one for a few years now (got it used) and didn't really have to do anything to make it run great. The only issue that I worked on immediately was  the means of attaching some tubing to the empty primer discharge to collect them below the press.

Do you have pictures or a link to a thread on this? I’d like to do something similar