Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to help with glock mags hanging up.

B_RAD

First off, I know this has been talked about but i was wondering if anyone has left OEM mags behind for aftermarket?

Second, This is somewhat of a technique problem. If I hold the frame completely vertical while depressing the mag release it will drop every time. 

After saying that, I'd still like to find a solution that allows a little more forgivness for not holding conpletley vertical. Seems I only have it hang up during classifiers. Happend on both reloads during 06-03 can you count today. Cost me a 100% run. 

I've noticed that my older glock mags seem to be slicker. They dont hang up. If I hold the gun at just the right angle to get the mags to hold up, the older slicker mags will slide out. It could be that the newer mags have residue from pro grip and thats just enough to add a little friction. 

So, anyone got a solution?   

I read here on the forum that the Magpul Glock mags are made of slightly harder and much slicker material than the factory Glock magazines.  The thinking is these might be an improvement for those stages (like classifiers) where you just gotta do a reload.

I don't know why they do it, but some of my Glock factory mags will suddenly start to stick.  I now check all mags to assure they work right before the match.  I had one fail the test this morning.  One more to the parts bin.

10 minutes ago, MrSmith said:

It doesn't seem to. 

I use pro grip, so I usually wipe them down everytime they're reloaded. 

You wipe them down with  armorall each time or just put armorall one the nighr before amd wioe them down witha dry towel each time after reloading? 

ETS and Magpull mags do not drop any freer than OE, in fact, they're worse. If I do mag drills in the dirt they will all stop dropping free. I carry a rag to wipe off dirty mags. This is just the nature of the beast, if you want mags that breeze out regardless of the pistol's angle you'll need a metal frame gun with metal mags.

Edited by 858

8 hours ago, B_RAD said:

You wipe them down with  armorall each time or just put armorall one the nighr before amd wioe them down witha dry towel each time after reloading? 

I keep a bottle in my range bag when shooting a glock and just lightly spray it on a rag and wipe them down each time after reloading. 

Do not sand the mags, it raises little hairs and actually makes the problem worse.  Armor All works for me, I use it inside and out.  I also use it inside the magwell.  I also use RENAISSANCE wax.

Are you using a maxwell?  If so, when you tighten down the screws on certain ones it will tighten the gap and cause mags to stick.

The magpul mags are good but you need to keep them clean and apply a little lub on the springs.  I had two of them bind on a classifier before I did this.

For mag changes you could try this: 

Watch in slow motion how he manipulates the gun when dropping the mag.

1 minute ago, B_RAD said:

I'm not using a magwell.  

I shoot M class in Production. Those mag changes arent all that spectacular. Any M or above open shooter should be able to do that. He's not extending all the way out. Not that he needs to if its an easy target but he did miss a few hits (no ding). He didnt get his week hand back on the gun before he pulled the trigger on a couple of those. 

Haha that wasn't my point.  My point was what he does to the gun so the mag drops free every time.

6 minutes ago, Stickman301 said:

Haha that wasn't my point.  My point was what he does to the gun so the mag drops free every time.

I didnt mean to come off as a jerk. I edited my post because I didnt want crap on a guys reloads. Those were good. 

Yeah,  its part technique. I try to practice keeping the gun vertical when depressing the mag release. The problem is the more my mags get used the less sock they become. I had a bramd new one in the package amd opened it ladt night. It feels slicker, like my older ones that never got used with me also using pro grip. 

I can hold the gun almost completely 90° sideways and the mag will kick out all the way. The problematic mags have to be less than 45 °  

Edited by B_RAD

1 minute ago, B_RAD said:

I edited my post because I didnt want crap on a guys reloads. Those were good. 

Yeah,  its part technique. I try to practice with the gun vertical when depressing the mag release. The problem is the more my mags get used the less sock they become. I had a bramd new one in the package amd opened it ladt night. It feels slicker, like my older ones that never got used with me also using pro grip. 

I can hold the gun almost completely 90° sideways and the mag will kick out all the way. The problematic mags have to be less than 45 °  

No worries dude.  I just used that video to show how he flicks the bottom of the gun away then back towards him.  I had issues with mags sticking and just gave his technique a shot and it works every time.  Just wanted to give you an option that didn't cost any money.

Ive sanded all my OEM glock mags.  400 grit, 800 grit, 1200 grit all with a block of wood under paper to make sure I sand off high points.  Then use a product to make plastic more slick.  Never a problem & they are slick!

Edit to add check top of mag after a bunch of use, the bullet side of top of mag will often get a burr.  Glock armorer took his knife & trimmed it off first time I saw it so thats what Ive done when that happens.  Looks bad but doesnt hurt anything.

Edited by mlmiller1

I've trimmed all the burs off the mag and the magwell and still have the problem. I'm fairly confident the mags just loose their slickness overtime. Gross story. I didnt have any armorall or similar wipes so I rubed the oil off my skin and wiped it on one of the mags and it slides out like a new mag does. 

Edited by B_RAD

I find that when Im hitting a reload, im gripping the gun very tightly with my right hand, so much in fact that I'm actually squeezing the grip inward a slight bit causing mags to hang up occasionally.