Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

extraction issues, stock open gun

ano

Looking at pics, what do you think, more or less tension? It feels fairly snug, gun only done around 1000-1500 rounds, brass is sorted, rollsized etc and pretty much perfect, all jams are identical. 

IT actually feeds a new live round every time, almost into the chamber as you can see. 

Leaving for worldshoot in a week... 

DSC_0714.JPG

brassmarks.png

Im borrowing the gun, so I really dont wanna do anything that causes. 

Id put a SVI rts2 mount on if, but the screws seems like green loctite not red/blue :o 

there is no shockbuff, recoil is #7 

video shows it ejecting to the side pretty good, but I think its going via mount a lot of the time. 

Ejector is fairly long, but seems straight, so guess needs a few file drags on the ejector. 

what size magazine is this happening with?  140?  155?  170?  if just the longer ones then there is not enough extractor tension.  The amount of force the mag. spring puts on the rounds as they go upward in a 170 mag is much different than a 140 and will showcase weak extractor tension.  I want to say a 155 would be sim. to the 170 but I have not played around with any of those. 

The ejector is the better length when you can hand eject a dummy round with no recoil spring installed and the bullet never hits the barrel hood while getting extracted.  plus a few swipes at the proper angle with a file like Eric mentions to get it out of there in a more consistent and flatter direction.

Good luck, hope you get it straightened out before you have to leave.

I know it's not your gun, but I've seen this on my own .38sc and 9mm guns with a C-More slideride mounted centered (left to right) over the slide.  The brass hits either the back end of the mount OR the back end ("tail") of the scope.  I didn't know that until I installed a black aluminum C-more and saw little nicks appearing on the bottom right edge.  This happened more often with 9 major but also at times with 38sc.  It helped quite a bit to use a Cheely offset mount (.200 offset to the left, not noticeable when shooting) and even more when I switched to an RTS2.  I had tried tuning the ejector, extractor, etc. before doing these.  Some guns are easier to tune, others simply need a different scope and/or mount.

Ejection with an open gun can be quite elusive with that set up. Being a borrowed gun is a problem as you are limited in what you can try. You can use 26-30 oz or more of extractor tension and still feed reliably if the gun was built correctly. How far do the cases eject and how tight is the slide to frame fit. You can drop to a 7# recoil and 17# ISMI main spring to get more slide velocity. Generally the ejector should be as long as possible and have about a 5 degree taper to the rear. There is a lot more to tuning extractors and ejectors but you have to try something if you have no professional help.

When I tension an extractor on a 2011 I use a dummy round with the next size up bullet in grains, take the slide off and slide the dummy round under the extractor, if it goes in easy and doesn't hold the bullet I add tension, if it is hard to get the rim under the extractor then take out tension. Once you get it to hold the bullet in place properly then take your finger and push the bottom of the dummy round where the ejector would hit it and make sure that it ejects without hanging on the extractor. If it does then there may be a sharp edge catching on the brass, remove the edge with a file. Should be good to go afterwards.

Final test would be to load a bunch of dummy rounds, load the mag full and rack them through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Shot a L3 this weekend, 1 MAJOR jam, I needed 1 more friggin shot, but noooo,  and some jams after shooting last round, was lucky really, could have gone so much worse,...

So, put an aftec in from another gun, perfect fit really. gun ran 700 rounds in a row, no jams, but ejection is weird. like with stock extractor, but doesnt jam so thats good.

Pulled the mount, shot 100 rounds through it with no mount, all  brass ends up same place... but brass goes UP not sideways. so definetly needs ejector tuning. 

Putting an SVI rts2 mount on now, measurments suggests its gonna fit with ejection just behind it from looking at brassmark on other mount.  just slapped a romeo3 on top as well... thinking Ill keep the aftec though, as I had some "wont go under extractor" issues this weekend, and that seems to be solved. 

Edited by ano

7 minutes ago, caspian guy said:

If the owner doesn't mind,  follow Bob's advice. http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/ejection perfection.htm

Problem usually goes away.

Seems ok with respect to the ejector.  But I would not follow that advice on the extractor.  What exactly is the benefit of having the extractor hook dig into the case bevel?  Certainly doesn't enhance feeding, ejection, reliability, etc.  The flat on the ejector should be in contact with the case rim.  The hook shouldn't be in contact with anything.

Edited by ltdmstr