Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken barrel lug... How and why!?

Acsr

Friend went out shooting his sti edge 40 s&w had a aftermarket bar sto barrel. This was a used Gunn but all signs of wear showed minimum wear, although it did have a different barrel in it obviously. It cracked on the barrel where the link pins to the barrel. What would cause this and is there a fix either through bar sto, or another way rather then a new barrel. I will try and post pic if I can figure out how to. Thanks in advance. ebea5b2fcadb73e9238d019b933dd7a3.jpg9d8511488109427b6ece912703b6cc25.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Check the VIS of the frame, how peened is it?

did it run good until failure? Looks like the lower lug was sheared off rather than pulled off.  How wallowed/carved out was the link?

my barsto although CP cut was .045+ long on the lower lug. If not corrected the lower or upper is gonna shear off.  Link can be ground out to make it run temporarily but that's gonna kill the barrel, frame, or slide likely before the link breaks.

I'm no expert, just my experience with getting a barsto to run  

I had a Bar-sto barrel in a 38 super that had the lower lugs shear off (back when major was 175pf).  Several respected gunsmiths inspected the fit and all seemed good.  Irv was cool and replaced the barrel, but made it clear if it happened again he wasn't going to replace it.  It did not happen again, and never did figure out exactly what caused the first barrel to shear the lugs.

However, when stuff like this happens it usually is a barrel fitting issue.    

7 hours ago, Acsr said:

Any warranty on this, can it be fixed or is it toast?

More like Burnt toast..

replace it,have fit checked,unless you can do it yourself...

The rear of the bottom lug should be contacting the VIS towards the top of the lug, distributing force at it's strongest point, or at bare minimum it should have even contact.  You'll often see the VIS relieved with an endmill to create a "bowtie" raised portion whereby the top of the lug must contact the VIS because the bottom of the VIS is relieved several thousandths.  I suppose a short link could cause this, but it's much more likely that the link or slidestop pin would break first. My guess is that is was a really bad barrel fit that was riding the link hard and not hitting the VIS correctly.

I would agree with the above comments about the lower lug improperly engaging the VIS. Lugs will shear off if the lower portion of the lug makes repeated contact with the VIS. 

Andy Cree

On 5/3/2017 at 3:19 PM, Acsr said:

Friend went out shooting his sti edge 40 s&w had a aftermarket bar sto barrel. This was a used Gunn but all signs of wear showed minimum wear, although it did have a different barrel in it obviously. It cracked on the barrel where the link pins to the barrel. What would cause this and is there a fix either through bar sto, or another way rather then a new barrel. I will try and post pic if I can figure out how to. Thanks in advance. ebea5b2fcadb73e9238d019b933dd7a3.jpg9d8511488109427b6ece912703b6cc25.jpg

A similar thing happened to me last year and everyone said its incorrect fitting to the VIS. I look at the VIS and no signs of an incorrect fitting but I must say I have not inspected it in detail prior to failing so the barrel test as per Shuemann website.

Bottomline is this barrel is now useless and a throwaway. There is no way to weld it whatsoever as it has already failed. Replace and move on.

Oh by the way, the suspicion was high powered loads, maybe higher than SAAMI pressure.