Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" STI nose diving

ormondopen

I am running a 12lb sprinco in a 6" lightened slide bushing barrel, 6" recoil system w/ 5" plug for 5" spring. I am getting nose diving on the follow up shots. do I need a heaver or light spring?

Edited by ormondopen

Hello: STI make a plug for the 6" slide and a bushing barrel. You can use a stock 5" recoil spring with it. If you want to get your gun running right now use 2 -5" plugs stacked behind each other. That should give your 5" spring enough force to feed the next round. Shooters Connection have the STI plug and Power Factor Shooting have the Briley 6" aluminum guide rod. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I do fast splits at 7 yards to see what recoil spring I need. If the two shots are close together then the spring is good. I like to have the spring weight slightly on the heavy side to help with feeding. You could try a lighter recoil spring and see how it works for you. A Bill Drill on the clock is your next step. Whatever one gives you better hits and is faster, that is the way to go. The clock does not lie. On my very light 6" I built I use a 12.5lb ISMI recoil spring with a 17lb ISMI manspring. The firing pin stop is milled at an angle as well. I also use 165grain Montana Gold bullets. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Usually if your second shot is lower than your first your recoil spring is

to heavy. I'd try an 11# and a 10# to see if it makes a difference. Also

could be your bullet weight. From what I've seen of 6 inch 40sw guns

the lighter bullets work better.

However, you want to make sure the lighter recoil springs are not causing

damage to your gun by being to light. Every gun is a little different.

In my post I forgot about the Mainspring. Most 40sw shooters that I know use a 17#

Mainspring. I see you tried a 10# Recoil Spring and it was better, but not where you

wanted it. Trying 165gr bullets will also give you a different feel. With the 165's you

might be able to go back to your 12# Recoil Spring. Try them all in different combinations

until you find the right one. What Aircooled said was right on.

Thanks A Matt.

did the bill drill yesterday, to get a relative tight group my splits were a 20 to 30. I know splits are an individual thing but are these to slow? Shot a match today using the 10# spring, splits were a little quicker from yesterday on the medium range shots w/ A/C hits. close stuff (7 yards avg.) were A/A. knock on wood never had an issue w/ a 15# main with all primers manuf. so I don't think I need to up it. also don't know if my slide weight yet, it might come into play. pix attached to show the lightened areas. suggestions appreciated if more weight out of the back would help.

post-11093-0-66818800-1355616470_thumb.j

post-11093-0-68387700-1355616485_thumb.j

Edited by ormondopen

• 3 weeks later...

I've been switching between a 10lb and 9lb but I'm using a aluma buff... No dive on both springs...

5" guide rod

5" recoil spring

5" reverse plug

springco tactical springs

and 17lb ISMI main spring

I run the same bullet as my 5" Limited pistol ...

200gr Bear Creek

what main spring are you running ismi or wolff ???

Edited by RippSpeed

I've been switching between a 10lb and 9lb but I'm using a aluma buff... No dive on both springs...

5" guide rod

5" recoil spring

5" reverse plug

springco tactical springs

and 17lb ISMI main spring

I run the same bullet as my 5" Limited pistol ...

200gr Bear Creek

what main spring are you running ismi or wolff ???

ISMI main, springco recoil

Hello: I think you have the weight out of the right end :cheers: I would not remove any weight from the back of the slide. Your next step should be undercutting the grip so you get your hand up higher towards the slide. That will help control some of the flip as well. As I stated above I use 165 grain bullets and for me that works great. Fast slide speed and gets back on target quicker for me. Some like the slower slide speed with heavy bullets but I don't. You will have to see what works for you the best. Lastly a profiled firing pin stop helps as well. Thanks, Eric

Hello: I think you have the weight out of the right end :cheers: I would not remove any weight from the back of the slide. Your next step should be undercutting the grip so you get your hand up higher towards the slide. That will help control some of the flip as well. As I stated above I use 165 grain bullets and for me that works great. Fast slide speed and gets back on target quicker for me. Some like the slower slide speed with heavy bullets but I don't. You will have to see what works for you the best. Lastly a profiled firing pin stop helps as well. Thanks, Eric

I shoot bayou 180's so I ordered some 155's from them. they dont have a 165 but I might order 1k from montana gold and try. I already did the undercut and it seemed to help as well as using a 10lb recoil. splits are slower than my 5" though.

Hello: The splits may be slower with the 6" because you are getting more flip with the 6"? I find my splits are faster with the 5" but my hits are better with the 6" :devil: Going from the 180's to the 165's helps my splits and hits with the 6". The 6" is just a different animal than the 5". Some like them some don't. If you can setup a test stage I would shoot both and count your hits and time. I have done this a couple of times over the years. I have also done this with different weights of recoil springs. It may surprise you what you find out. Hope this is helping. Thanks, Eric

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...